Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

My bike is broken - fixing a BMW

My bike is broken - fixing a BMW

So my k1200s need a new starter and at least a check of the valves if not definitely some major adjustment. Wonderful BMW mounted this motor so that I need to remove the rear drive shaft (not so worth it now) and pressurized cooling system to fix both, so that's like $3k altogether.

I have done some work on my bikes but never anything that complicated. I do know the valves can be done relatively simply with zip ties on the cam, but it is still a beast of a job to do on this thing and it will likely need some adjustment based on use, I would also need to purchase a tool to properly reseal the cooling system which is about $100 and the shims are of course overly expensive. I would probably measure the valves on my ninja 250 just to go through the process first.
    I haven't looked at the drive shaft job but I am sure there will be at least 1 specialty tool involved for the oil in the shaft and I will probably replace low cost parts while in there. I am thinking this would take me 30 hours altogether but I don't know.

I have a loan on this bike but just finished college and am working full time, so I am paying it off. My options are, take a spin at fixing it myself, spend about $600 and maybe fix it; bring it to max BMW who are pretty fair priced but still pay ~3k parts and labor; or sell it/trade it after paying it off this winter. I want to try and fix it, but BMW does have a reputation for being overly complicated and a nightmare even for a tech to work on. If I break it it's motor is going in a go kart some day. What do you think? Is this a major job even on a kawi or is this just BMW, and would you take a stab at it?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: My bike is broken - fixing a BMW

I have no idea about these bikes but there might be a work around on the starter.

Starter removal, K1200RS. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

Jeff

Re: My bike is broken - fixing a BMW

One of the reasons K bikes are so reasonable used is their very high service costs.

There are lots of DIY’rs in Yankee Beemers. Post on their FB page. The club is $25 a year.