Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

bike cleaning

bike cleaning

So after riding a bunch over the last week my bike was covered in salt and road grime. I wanted/needed to clean it before it goes back to bed for a while.

In the past I have always used the hose at my house, but at my current place it is a huge pain in the ass. I had stayed away from using a car wash place (with the high pressure hoses, not the drive through).

But, today I used one of those places and it worked great. Hit the bike with hot soapy water then hot clean water...dry with some clean cloths and your done.

I've heard it was a bad idea...the theory being that the high pressure could push water past seals and cause all sorts of problems. After using the car wash place it seems okay to me. The pressure is not that high and as long as you stand back at least 3-4 feet and don't drill senstive areas (wheel axel?) it seems okay.

Anyone else use car wash places?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2006 Triumph Speed Triple - Street
    2003 R6 - Track
    2000 SV650 - Street/Track

That's right, back to a 2 cylinder, 3 cylinder, and a 4 cylinder.

Nice TT's

Re: bike cleaning

i work at a car wash on the weekend and ive done mine about 50 times or so same with my sisters triumph and i havent had an issue yet, i can understand if you lay it on the cluster, on any of the speed sensors that possibly some water could get in the connections but as long as you dont get right on a sensor and just say back about 6-8 inches you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by duff daddy View Post
    i work at a car wash on the weekend and ive done mine about 50 times or so same with my sisters triumph and i havent had an issue yet, i can understand if you lay it on the cluster, on any of the speed sensors that possibly some water could get in the connections but as long as you dont get right on a sensor and just say back about 6-8 inches you should be fine.
    +1

I have a pressure washer at home. I use it frequently with the 'soap' nozzle and then the next one up pressure wise. No problem...just pay attention and avoind the obvious....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I used the boot washers from time to time, they seem to work alright but wtill takes some cloth cleaning to get the job done.

but then when you ride back, doesn't all the salt from the road make your bike dirty again?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    but then when you ride back, doesn't all the salt from the road make your bike dirty again?

Yeah, I spent all day riding back and forth between my house and the car wash place. I finally, in utter frustration, just left the bike there and walked home.

No, the roads are pretty clean of salt (and dry) right now and the place is right down the street. But, good point.

2006 Triumph Speed Triple - Street
    2003 R6 - Track
    2000 SV650 - Street/Track

That's right, back to a 2 cylinder, 3 cylinder, and a 4 cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post

Yeah, I spent all day riding back and forth between my house and the car wash place. I finally, in utter frustration, just left the bike there and walked home.

Next time take a cab....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I usually try to avoid even using the hose to clean my bike. Ive had very good luck with the Honda and Yamaha spray cleaner/detailer to get the job done. although In the past with dirt bikes I've used a pressure washer with no troubles. Just as stated above, avoid the obvious hosing around wheel bearings and electrical systems. I often used to laugh at my father because every time he sprayed down his Harley he would have to take off the distributor cover and let the rotor dry before it would start.

-03 GSXR1000

I just soap mine up and ride it around when it's raining.