Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bike delimma, any constructive suggestions?

Bike delimma, any constructive suggestions?

So I have my Hawk Race bike that has a clean street title (and about $6000 into it so I won't be selling it), I have a 748 trackbike with a spare engine and other bits (that I got for a little more speed at the track and to replace my 998 in the garage) and I have my 08 S2R1000 with 1500 miles on it.

My delimma is this, I have too many bikes for my current income and need to sell one.

I am thinking the Monster needs to go, I can put the Hawk on the street (It does everything the monster does) and still use it as a trackbike and I will still have a Ducati to drool on (the 748) and use as a primary trackbike.

I have always considered myself a Ducati guy and just have to have one in the garage but I have had a Ducati streetbike since 1996 so I wonder if the 748/Hawk will fill the need.

I love the Monster and don't want to let it go but I think that is the smart choice... I could keep it and sell the 748 but I won't get much for it and then I wouldn't have that beautiful bike in my garage.

Anyone want a Monster? $7000 obo

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Re: Bike delimma, any constructive suggestions?

Question, what is the factor that you can't afford? How many bikes are insured & registered? If 2, take one off the road to save some cash.

Run only one bike at a time at the track. Or is this about running in the Classic?

I can't say what I'd do for the street, since I don't find much enjoyment in street riding anymore. Mostly because I'm in agony after an hour.

Have you sold your trailer yet? (you are/were selling a trailer, right?)

Just do what you have to do.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I am making half of what I made the last 5 years and new house and kid has kinda shifted priorities.
    Yep, want to sell the trailer but will use most of that money to get a smaller one so no real gain there.
    My street riding is less than I would like but I think the Hawk will fit the Bill. Plus I really should look for a sport tourer in the future anyway, looks like the Monster goes on the chopping block.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Wirelessly posted

Makes sense to have 1 street and 1 track. Hawk and 748 are both track bikes and the hawk costs are a waste for the street.

I'd get rid of one of the track bikes, ideally the hawk unless you intend to race again.

Last edited by Manny; 06-05-12 at 12:00 PM.
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

I've got to agree with Manny. IMO it's worth having a solid, reliable street bike, and the Monster certainly fits that bill. You might find that getting out for the occasional street ride is a good way of relieving stress and giving yourself a little time to expand your perspective; at least, I do.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Well look at it this way Doc, at least you don't have that $6k tied up into an engine that isn't built yet....

The Hawk might be a tough sell, the 748 would be easier.... the Monster is the only real street bike of the crowd.

CCS/LRRS #83

Doc,

Will you take $2,800 for all three ?

Frederick Stearns
    Souhegan Valley Motorsports Racing
    CCS/LRRS Expert #333
    Retired

Sell the monster

i think doc likes and wants to keep the hawk.

i'd keep 1 street and 1 track bike.
    sell everything Ducati

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Ya, the Hawk could be made into a reliable streetbike again, plus I just have too much into it to sell it for $2800 (as Freddy offered ). If it did break I have plenty of spares and I know the bike the best, but then again it IS really set up for the track (3 sets of rims, race spares, total loss) so it may be a PITA to street it. I would still ride it at trackdays.

The 748 was to help ease the pain of selling my 998, I just love the looks of those 1st gen superbikes, I just haven't gotten to ride it much yet (engine transplant) and I can't street it.

The Monster was a good deal, is friggin pretty and does everything well, I hate to get rid of it but I think it is the easiest choice for me. I am just gonna HATE not being able to "pose" on my Ducati on the street.

Last edited by Doc; 06-05-12 at 01:33 PM.
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Doc, i was offering $2,800 for all three, let me know.

Frederick Stearns
    Souhegan Valley Motorsports Racing
    CCS/LRRS Expert #333
    Retired

You said you weren't going to "doc" the monster!

so keep that, cut the losses and dump the pos hawk, and use the 7doodleydoo for instruction.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Looks like the Monster is selling this weekend and I think I have my CB125S and the trailer sold too.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Looks like the Monster is selling this weekend and I think I have my CB125S and the trailer sold too.
    Soooo. What kinda bike are you gonna buy???

Just gonna street my Hawk Racebike, Finish the 748 trackbike and but some in the bank for now.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Ok so Monster didn't sell until tonight...

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I woulda sold the 748, tracked the hawk and sunday breakfast rides with the monster.

Streeting the Hawk (with trackdays/occasional races), tracking the 748 (maybe a race on it) and looking for my next street ride. Leaning toward Honda... VFR, maybe a 600rr

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Unfortunately your two digit plates mean that 748 doesn't have a class it can race in safely with dropping some crazy money into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Unfortunately your two digit plates mean that 748 doesn't have a class it can race in safely with dropping some crazy money into it.
    I can be safe as a back marker... and I am not racing the 748 unless I can go faster on it than I do on the Hawk.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

don't get another bike...didn't you find that when you have 3, there just wasn't enough love to go around?

I once had 3 bikes...and yeah, each one had its own function, but in all honesty, it was sort of a waste. next time around, I'm having 1 street bike, and 1 dirt bike.

I also support the vote for 748/hawk

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-17-12 at 12:59 AM.

That is a thought... not getting another bike... Hmmmm.... Maybe I can find a sweet car!

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I'd also vote for not getting another bike, unless you're going to sell the hawk too. Riding that thing on the street wouldn't be an option for me, it's just so uncomfortable, you have to hang off it to make it work. So dump that (you can afford to cut your losses after doc'ing so many bikes) and get one street bike that suits you, and use the 748 for instructing...because we all know your racing days are over (like mine)

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I can be safe as a back marker... and I am not racing the 748 unless I can go faster on it than I do on the Hawk.
    Your best is a :21 right.

You should be able to do that easy on the 748, unless you are a lot bigger then I am, I don't believe we have ever met.

I did :20's on mine my first year(only year I raced it) with a :19.5 best. All it has are slip-ons, a chip, light flywheel, a slipper, and mags. I don't think you'd need the mags. I had the heavy 3 spoke, you could get away with the lighter 5 spokes.

As far as safety goes, Thunderbike you'd be okay, we are the only ones on the track. It's the classes that has AM start behind us that I would be worried about.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by timmyho414; 08-17-12 at 07:53 AM.
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I'd also vote for not getting another bike, unless you're going to sell the hawk too. Riding that thing on the street wouldn't be an option for me, it's just so uncomfortable, you have to hang off it to make it work. So dump that (you can afford to cut your losses after doc'ing so many bikes) and get one street bike that suits you, and use the 748 for instructing...because we all know your racing days are over (like mine)
    I have the stock Subframe and corbin seat for the Hawk. It will make a good streetbike. You are right Chip, my racing days are numbered and if Timmyho is right I could still have a lil racing fun on occasion with the 748, plus it wouldn't take much to put the Hawk back in race trim.

Definately building the Hawk for the street this winter and I have a budget to do it. The 748 motor is getting swapped (Hopefully before our 2 day) and I am looking for a lil 4 door sporty car to use instead of the truck to save a little on gas and have fun with the family in.

If I come across a deal I can flip I will do that too but I know I am not taking all the money from the sale of the Monster and buying another bike.

Anyone want a 2007 GSXR1000 for $6000?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X