Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

New used bike in the garage - winter project

Lifer

New used bike in the garage - winter project

Added a 2004 Honda ST1300 w 17k on the clock

Paging Gino to the ST phone.

Plan is to get everything ship shape and use it for a summer week or two trip, maybe even a second cross country trip.

I’ve owned this motorcycle (not this exact one) before but what would the collective wisdom suggest I make sure to go over beyond oil change, shaft oil change and tires

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: New used bike in the garage - winter project

Date codes on the tires. Based on that mileage the bike is on maybe its second set of tires.
    Change the brake and clutch fluid.

Check all of the brake and clutch lines. They are all rubber and all 16 years old.
    Check the brake pads.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Date codes on the tires. Based on that mileage the bike is on maybe its second set of tires.
    Change the brake and clutch fluid.

Check all of the brake and clutch lines. They are all rubber and all 16 years old.
    Check the brake pads.

Tires are toast, new rubber is a must, especially since this is a long distance runner.

Pads look good, but I’ll check and clean the calipers when the wheels are off, something where that beloved single sided swing arm is a blessing.

Don’t have the tools to do fluid changes, will likely put that on the Bettencourt list.

What about forks if the seals look good?

Ohh, fork oil is probably garbage. At least plan on swapping out the fork oil.
    Rear shock might be garbage. It should be at least evaluated. At a minimum the bumper on the shock is probably dry rotted (assuming there's a bumper).

ETA:
    lol. I was replying when you replied...

If your are changing the fork oil, fork seals are pretty cheap, generally (I haven't looked at prices for this particular bike, but generally they are cheap).

For brake fluid changes, look into speed bleeders. They make it a simple job for anyone to do.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jasnmar; 09-24-20 at 09:29 PM.

rides bikes

Get some HARD tires for it. My buddy had one and we did some long trips together. The weight of that bike when loaded up absolutely shredded rear tires for him.

He also ran into some electrical issues, which may have been unique to his bike. A PO added a bunch of lights, volt meter, etc.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    Get some HARD tires for it. My buddy had one and we did some long trips together. The weight of that bike when loaded up absolutely shredded rear tires for him.

He also ran into some electrical issues, which may have been unique to his bike. A PO added a bunch of lights, volt meter, etc.
    Will go Michelin Road 5. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...t-road-5-tires

This is all stock, so I’ll make sure the regulator is good.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Metzler Z8 interact is worth a look for heavier bikes New used bike in the garage - winter project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCS/LRRS #83