Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bike insurance in Ma..

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Bike insurance in Ma..

Who (or is it whom?) do you guys use? I'm State Farm outta Virginia, but the tags and policies are running out in June, gotta move my tags and license and insurance to Ma., finally. Clean record, no tix, crashes or claims, ever. Who's my go-to? Gonna need to insure the car and renter's insurance for a bit longer, except I'm buyin' a house in Danvers this summer.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Post Re: Bike insurance in Ma..

There's some people on here that will help you out with that

I dont have the best driving record so mine isnt cheap, currently with safety ins

Sladic aka Slush
    K7 GSX-R 600 - STOLEN JULY 16th 2012

Re: Bike insurance in Ma..

I use Liberty Mutual and for my 09 D675 it's 65 a month during riding season and like under 30 in the winter, progressive quoted me at about 3x that. I also use them for renters insurance.

Tx, Doods!

I use USAA year round and it's $75 to insure my 250 year round good luck! Commerce sucks fwiw

Bopida Beepoo

Quote Originally Posted by SP GSX-R View Post
    There's some people on here that will help you out with that

I dont have the best driving record so mine isnt cheap, currently with safety ins
    I also have safety. I gotta do some shopping around. just got my new policy which renews next month. one ticket last summer and I went from a 3 surcharge to a 6. bike/truck went up over $900. bike only went up like $12 out of that 900. really considering taking the bike off the road since I rode it all of about 100 miles last year on the street cause my headlight doesn't work. would save me that $900.

I'm with Safety with a clean record paying $218 a year for my R6.

Quote Originally Posted by Priv View Post
    I use USAA year round and it's $75 to insure my 250 year round good luck! Commerce sucks fwiw
    Ah, that figures. My cousin uses Commerce for all her stuff, car and house and umbrella. It's 500 to insure the Concours full up, a million liabilty, replacement value out of Virginia, but it's a $14,000 bike, so Lawd only knows what it'll be up here. Tx fer the replies, ever-one!

$150 a year with progressive, includes roadside assistance.

Got Commerce. 06 GSXR 750 with one speeding ticket on record. I pay $398 a year with the default coverage.

rrrright down by da beach island boyeee's Avatar

Liberty Mutual FTW. Use it on my car and bike.

bike costs less than $400 a year for full coverage. and no questions asked when i had a claim last year. had the check within 1-2 weeks

08 Triumph Daytona 675, Jet Black w/ Gold
    dirty bike: 2015 KTM 250 XC-F

Lifer

I have Met Life as of a year or so ago.. $330 for full coverage, $500 deductible and $100k/300k damages IIRC.

My bike is now 6 years old and my record is spotless now too though.

Safety insurance here. I have no idea what I pay. It's not much though.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Commerce w/ AAA (no, not AARP) discount on 2 cars and 2 bikes and just shy of $2200 total. Both of us have rating of 99, and she has less than 6 years motorcycle riding experience.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Silver Bullet Commuter fjrrider RI's Avatar

fjr1300 2004 and ninja 650 2009 just switched from Foremost to Markel American. Foremost wanted like $600 for collision on the ninja and charged $1,200 for both only liability fire and theft on the ninja. Markel gave me collision on both for $1,100 with less deductables and they are recommended by the BMW National club.

Yamaha lover

commerce w/AAA, 08 cbr 1000, less than 6 years experience, 6 violation points, for full coverage they want $800-900 per year, ohh and im under 25 years old too, so i guess that has a lot to do with it lol
    looks like im gonna do 4 trackdays instead hahaha
    use to be around $500 or less before the tickets

Last edited by dudutzu; 05-04-10 at 07:46 PM.

couch <my signature> cough
    auto, home, bikes, life, umbrellas and even fixed annuities, I got what you need!
    but really, i just moved to liberty mutual and would be happy to help you guys out as best i can. unfortunately, they won't let me start binding people until i finish their "training program", so around mid-june.

FWIW i've got about 6 years working on the offensive side of finance and now I'm working the defense. bunch of licenses, securities and insurance related and by the beginning of 2011 i'll have completed my CFP. i only give you that so you don't think I'm a 21 yr old college intern (not that thats bad) scrounging for business. i won't use the board as my own selling soapbox as thats not why i'm here, but if anyone actually wants to go over their coverage and figure out what they have and what they don't have, feel free to PM me.

additionally, for everyone that thinks their insurance is super cheap, there may be a reason for it. if you screw someone up and only have state minimums for coverage, you have problems. even bigger problems if you are a homeowner.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Damn, yall gave me lots O' companies to pester for a price, thanks.

BMFR is right about minimum liability coverage. Buddy of mine carried 50,000 liability and crashed a Redskin's Jag or Ferrari or something, the 50,000 dollar liabilty was just getting warmed up. His insurance cut the check for 50,000K and threw him to the dogs. These days, he gets a new job, they find him and get a garneshment order within 2 months. That part sucks, but the best thing about a million dollar umbrella policy is, they'll denfend you. It's like having lawyer-insurance. Because with that umbrella comes an interest on their part to defend you. Plus, you wad the bike or car, medical expenses the first day can burn $50,000.00 leaving you on the hook for the rest. Even if you ain't got a million, you should carry a million.

I've used Liberty Mutual since about 1990. Last week I got a policy ammendment that states (I forget the exact verbage) that passengers medical bills are not covered in case of an accident.

Check your policies, I think it's bullshit, and it's enough that I'm pulling 3 cars, a motorcycle and my homeowners after 20 years.

currently just an oldman bike, but searching for my new ride
    .Sold to a guy in Mississippi searching for a new ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
    I've used Liberty Mutual since about 1990. Last week I got a policy ammendment that states (I forget the exact verbage) that passengers medical bills are not covered in case of an accident.

Check your policies, I think it's bullshit, and it's enough that I'm pulling 3 cars, a motorcycle and my homeowners after 20 years.
    Agreed. That's a lot of insurance. But for another 100-150/year, you get that umbrella. Might be the greatest potential payback in the industry. Day-Trader, am I high? Well, yeah, actually, I am. Nonetheless, you guys are financial advisors, aren't umbrellas part-and parcel of a prudent strategy?

For me, umbrella liability policies are like American Express. I don't leave home without em.

Quote Originally Posted by toocrazy2yoo View Post
    Damn, yall gave me lots O' companies to pester for a price, thanks.

BMFR is right about minimum liability coverage. Buddy of mine carried 50,000 liability and crashed a Redskin's Jag or Ferrari or something, the 50,000 dollar liabilty was just getting warmed up. His insurance cut the check for 50,000K and threw him to the dogs. These days, he gets a new job, they find him and get a garneshment order within 2 months. That part sucks, but the best thing about a million dollar umbrella policy is, they'll denfend you. It's like having lawyer-insurance. Because with that umbrella comes an interest on their part to defend you. Plus, you wad the bike or car, medical expenses the first day can burn $50,000.00 leaving you on the hook for the rest. Even if you ain't got a million, you should carry a million.
    State minimum is 20/40, 20k per person, 40k per accident. the average claim is about 260k in MA...... 80% of the country is underinsured. once that is spent, you're on the hook for the rest. which brings up a good point, everyone needs to check part 3 and 12 of their policy. those amounts should be at least equal to your part 5. if they're not, you're protecting everyone else more than yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT View Post

you need to re-read what you got. medpay on an auto policy pays for injuries to you and your insureds, thats it. black and white. now what you may be misunderstanding is that it is in addition to other health benefits. if you have health insurance through work, they pay first.

Quote Originally Posted by toocrazy2yoo View Post
    Agreed. That's a lot of insurance. But for another 100-150/year, you get that umbrella. Might be the greatest potential payback in the industry. Day-Trader, am I high? Well, yeah, actually, I am. Nonetheless, you guys are financial advisors, aren't umbrellas part-and parcel of a prudent strategy?

For me, umbrella liability policies are like American Express. I don't leave home without em.
    umbrellas are becoming pretty common but not everyone needs one. they used to be for the wealthy, but now anyone that has a potential to face a high liability claim should have one. IMO your potential to a high liability claim can relate to how much fun your residence is. you have a pool, trampoline or anything else that invites dumb behavior, you may want an umbrella.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)