Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

My Bike lift build today

Short bus rider

My Bike lift build today

Just thought I would share what I did today. It was somewhat easy but far from perfect with what I had for fab tools or lack of. Everything here I did myself so if anyone reading this you can do this too "I am not a fabricator or welder just a guy that likes to do it himself". I will be happy to answer any questions and help you do this yourself. So this is what I did.
    I went down to my town yard where they have a scrap pile of town waste. There was a lot of 2" square old street sign post and some 2" round sign poles. I took what was in good shape for what I needed. This was all free. The only thing I had to buy was the 8ton long ram air cylinder. I bought it at Harbor Fright sadly to say. I hate that place but it was cheep and fit the bill for what I was trying to do. With a 20% off coupon it cost me around $75.00. The rest of the stock I had laying around my Gurage.

My Bike lift build today-image-jpgMy Bike lift build today-image-jpgMy Bike lift build today-image-jpgMy Bike lift build today-image-jpgMy Bike lift build today-image-jpgMy Bike lift build today-image-jpg

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: My Bike lift build today

Nice job on the lift. One thing that struck me as something to remember in the future: be careful with welding galvanized steel. Those old sign posts you got were likely galvanized, the fumes given off welding them are highly toxic. Pros who weld it use supplied air welding shields. For us hobby guys, just make sure you're well event, keep your face out of the plume, and minimize your exposure.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Short bus rider

Yep I know about it I use a fan and weld outside

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nice!!! Nothing makes working on a bike more pleasurable than a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Nice job on the lift. One thing that struck me as something to remember in the future: be careful with welding galvanized steel. Those old sign posts you got were likely galvanized, the fumes given off welding them are highly toxic. Pros who weld it use supplied air welding shields. For us hobby guys, just make sure you're well event, keep your face out of the plume, and minimize your exposure.
    Yup, that. Even when welding it outside I usually dip the end to be welded in muratic acid (available at most hardware stores). It'll strip the galvanization off but comes with its own set of side effects if inhaled so be super careful when using it and wear gloves.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Short bus rider

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Yup, that. Even when welding it outside I usually dip the end to be welded in muratic acid (available at most hardware stores). It'll strip the galvanization off but comes with its own set of side effects if inhaled so be super careful when using it and wear gloves.
    Good to know thanks for the heads up.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!