Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

State of used bike market?

State of used bike market?

Heard a guy talking yesterday at Moto Market who was lamenting the economy. He'd worked for years at an Audi dealer, but just moved to a Honda [car] dealer because "No one is buying."

I've been casually looking for an XR1200 and an SV650. Taking ebay and the XR1200 as an example, all the dealers are asking $8,800 to $9,500 for a used 2009 (they all have low mileage -they're Harleys). But folks are only bidding around $7,500 or a little more.

It appears the same thing is going on in the SV market, with many owners holding our for a "pre-recession" price, and the bikes just sit.

I'm inclined to wait until September when folks face storage fees. But it may be that a lot of these owners have financed the bikes, are already "upside down" and don't feel they can go lower. So, those of you buying and selling, what's going on?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: State of used bike market?

Start looking for the bike you want and make offers. Worst they can say is no. Almost everybike I have seen being sold is priced high - probably because the seller knows they will have to negotiate down anyway.

On another note: Buy Stinger's Gladius - that thing is sick and he's a forum member.

Quote Originally Posted by slammp View Post
    Start looking for the bike you want and make offers. Worst they can say is no. Almost everybike I have seen being sold is priced high - probably because the seller knows they will have to negotiate down anyway.

On another note: Buy Stinger's Gladius - that thing is sick and he's a forum member.

Thanks Sean!!

The Stinger for sale! Craigs List.

For sale the Stinger is! NESR List

I would have to say 1. buy the stinger and 2. selling anything sucks right now.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Lifer

There are certainly many deals to be had right now.

I've seen more cases of people needing to unload thier "toys" because things are getting tight, and they are in liquidation mode just to make ends meet.

Don't be afraid to low ball a bike that's been sitting on CL for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post

1. Yeah thanks Alex! 2. it sucks is right!

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Right, make life easy (and fun), buy the Stinger.

But since you asked for advice, here's some more.

First, forget the Harley idea.

OK, with that out of the way, decide how far you are willing to travel. Then use searchtempest.com to survey CL. And have your truck or trailer and cash ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    I'm looking for a several year old standard SV650 to use as a track bike.

Gentlemen, thanks for your assistance, I'm familiar with the bikes listed for sale here and on CL.

I started this thread to find out why there is such a gulf between asking prices and what people are willing to pay.

Gentlemen, thanks for your assistance, I'm familiar with the bikes listed for sale here and on CL.

I started this thread to find out why there is such a gulf between asking prices and what people are willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    Right, make life easy (and fun), buy the Stinger.

But since you asked for advice, here's some more.

First, forget the Harley idea.//
    Did you own an XR1200, or just had a test ride, or?

If you are interested in a XR1200, I have a brand new 09 in orange. Stop by my shop or call and we will hook you up with a deal.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

To put it simply, people are unwilling to put down the crackpipe when it comes to how much the bought the bike for, and how much it's worth now (from a market demand standpoint).

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    If you are interested in a XR1200, I have a brand new 09 in orange. Stop by my shop or call and we will hook you up with a deal.
    Thank you. I still need to ride one first as I'm not sure I'll like it. My plan right now is to wait until they are two years old and have absorbed more of a depreciation hit.

The SV650 project will probably come first. I debated an SV1000 but it seems that for NHMS the 650 is a better all-around choice.

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

I wanted to sell my 2009 Concours14ABS that overall, I paid 15K for with the unlimited miles 6 year good times bumper to bumper protection plan from the factory, a radiator rock-guard, loud Strebble horns, upgraded headlight bulbs and the Givi trunk. I want 10 grand for the thing so I can get the 2010 C-14. Even with that I gotta go over 6 grand outta pocket. Shee-itt, the bike only has 5K on it and not a scratch. New bike, no wheelies, no redlines I don't use all the power either), mostly slab miles. No takers on the C-14 site anyway. Informal talks with 2 dealers indicate I'd get $8500 in trade on the 2010 on an all cash deal AND pay full price on the 2010 to boot. Now THAT'S depreciation! I don't mind getting a little screwed, but selling my soul isn't on the menu. Barely clearing 50% in trade a year after I buy the bike brand new (list was $15,400 or so) doesn't speak well for the state of things. It's not a horrible problem, the 2009 C14 with ABS is still a great bike and I'm stupid to consider all this probably, but it points up the crappy market, the trade environment and the economy in general. What the hell ya gonna do? The dealers have the keys to these things, they can't afford NOT to stick it to ya, at least if they figure ya got the dough to do the deal. But on those terms? No sale, from me anyway. I'm sure a lot of Harley guys that paid 15 or 20 grand for THEIR bikes and another $10k on farkle are getting boar-hogged like a Mo-Foe, especially if they have a loan they're upside down on.

Last edited by toocrazy2yoo; 07-30-10 at 10:21 AM.

My experience...Many Sellers are upside down on financing and are better off to keep making payments or to let the repo man take it than sell it for less than they owe. If they have no loan they just don't want to take huge hit right now, would rather keep it in the garage for a few years and see how things shake out.

It seems the folks who need to liquidate usually sell low to someone they know and everyone makes out...

I think the bike market in general, new or used has a few more rough years ahead of it.

Thank you. I still need to ride one first as I'm not sure I'll like it. My plan right now is to wait until they are two years old and have absorbed more of a depreciation hit.

The SV650 project will probably come first. I debated an SV1000 but it seems that for NHMS the 650 is a better all-around choice.
    We can set you up with a test ride.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Wirelessly posted (BB Tour: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Not to mention that part of Harleys sales pitch is their supposedly high resale value. I can't believe people still believe that when you look on craigslist, uncle henrys, etc and see Harley after Harley for sale.

I just sold 2 bikes over the past few months; it took a long time and I ended up taking a lot less than I was asking for both (made out ok though after selling some parts separately). Bottom line, lowball the shit out of them and maybe get a deal.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

I Dance With Will

change my mind. keeping mine. hey that rhym.

"fuckit!"

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    My experience. If they have no loan they just don't want to take huge hit right now, would rather keep it in the garage for a few years and see how things shake out.
    I think the bike market in general, new or used has a few more rough years ahead of it.
    Butchered your quote a little, Tony, but that's about the nut right there. It's paid for, it's in the garage, it'll do and while I'd get closer for an individual, I ain't handing it to a dealer so THEY can turn it around for 3 grand higher. I realize they have to make SOME dough, but a 15,000 dollar bike with 5K miles shouldn't lose close to 50% the first year, especially on a trade for an even MORE expensive bike. F' em!

Good luck. Its nice to know that I am not the only one that sees this also. I have been looking for an FZ1 and I am very picky. I cannot save one for the life of me. This stinks. I guess I will just keep waiting.

Seems the frustration is coming to the surface. From Boston CL

What the heck is going on w/Craigslist? I've had literally dozens of calls and emails expressing interest in this bike, yet no one has been willing to show up with cash in hand in over a month. People send emails asking if the bike is still available, I respond that it is, and they never reply back. I've had other people say they're interested, very, very interested. Then say they'll be out of the country for the next decade, but if the bike's still available when they return...

Look, the bike is in amazing shape and I'm dropping the price for the umpteenth and final time. The first person who shows up with $3,500.00 cash gets the title, the shop manual, and one heck of a motorcycle. Compare the condition, the mileage (2,840 original miles,) and the year, and there's not another KLR on Craigslist that comes close.

$3,500.00 cash, that's the deal. No trades, no layaway, no jerking each other around.
    Is it my imagination or have the used prices of some late model Harley down about 1/3rd of what they were in 2007? It seems like people are asking more for the early 2000's than the later ones.

It also seems like the SV650S sells for less than the SV650. I'm not sure I fit on one but I may have to check those out as well: I'm sure adjustments can be made.

Last edited by Garandman; 07-31-10 at 05:15 AM.

Just emailed back a forth with a guy selling an 07 SV650.

KBB trade-in $2,665.
    KBB suggested retail (ie dealer): $3,895.
    His "bottom line" price: $4,500.

My guess is that lots of people paid way too much in the first place and then the dealer tacked on all sorts of charges. Basically they fell in love and bought it without using the internet to find a good deal. Not mentioning any dealer names but I have seen a local Honda dealer nearby want exactly twice as much for a 2 year old leftover as the Honda dealer in Manchester. Then people who bought from these dealers try to sell their used bikes and want 1/3 less than they paid and of course nobody else was as stupid as them so they sit and get relisted over and over and they think it is the market. Not the market. They were taken. Who cares to admit that.

Last edited by Rambunctous; 07-31-10 at 07:56 PM.

Lifer

Just emailed back a forth with a guy selling an 07 SV650.

KBB trade-in $2,665.
    KBB suggested retail (ie dealer): $3,895.
    His "bottom line" price: $4,500.
    buy my bike here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast