Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bike Related Question for the Engineering / Electrical Crowd....

Lifer

I could be wrong but you should be getting 55 watts regardless, and the amperage is the issue that you're going to be concerned with.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

This is not advised. I use to work for a DC brushless company and melted a few stators in my day. Your stator might be rated at 55watts but I am sure there is less aviable power for your light system since power will be used for other electronics on the quad.

Your voltage must stay at 12 volts since other electronics run off that voltage. Since a light buld is a constant resistance you have another fixed value. So Jay is correct is saying current is what you are worried about. Most likely you will draw to much current and melt the wires in the stator.

First I would put a clamp around the stater wire to see how much current you are drawing for other items on your quad. Then multpy that by 12 volts to find the power. Subtract that power from the power you stator is rated for and that is what you have left to play with. It is not advised to run full power at 100% duty cycle. I would run it at 85 to 90% max.

~ FTrain

What is the max amperage(current) is the stator rated at. Is there some type of fuse panel on your quad, if so that should protect your stator, and electrical system. I would think most vehicles should be able to run a couple of lights without a problem. 55watts / 12volts=4.6 amps of output current.
    70watts / 12volts=5.8 amps needed to run lights.

If you want to use lights with what you have I would reccomend LED's

They are not as bright as incandescence bulbs but run cooler and therefore use less power. A lot less power.

You can find a good selection at:
    SuperBrightLEDs.com

Nothing you find there is going to be a simple bolt-on item. You will have to make brackets, buy switches, and wire everything yourself.

Its not complicated, just takes time.