Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

converting a FI bike to Carbs ?

converting a FI bike to Carbs ?

been havig serious problems with my V-strom 1k, wire harness has cancer, sensor issues and ECU issues, never was happy with the FI even when it was running right, not as reliable, especially for cold starts as the carbs on my 1st gen SV650. Converting to carbs could very well be the cheapest way to fix my Vee

Thoughts?

how would I go about it ?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Re: converting a FI bike to Carbs ?

I think by the time you found all the parts to make a conversion (if you can find them at all) and tune it, you'd have spent the same amount it would cost to fix the electrical issues you have now.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

This doesn't answer your question, but sometimes complete wiring harness replacements aren't as expensive as you might think. Did you price that out?

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    This doesn't answer your question, but sometimes complete wiring harness replacements aren't as expensive as you might think. Did you price that out?
    price for parts that I need new are $3ką even with the substantial discount I get at my dealer, ECU alone is $1k (retail over $1200)

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Have you checked ebay, advrider, vstrom forums for parts?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

You'll have two issues to sort. The first, tossing the throttle bodies and shoving carbs in their place, will be the easy one. The second is coming up with an ignition system, you may be able to adapt flywheel/pickups/etc from a first gen SV, maybe not. I'm not 100% on how many differences there are between the different generations of that motor. Plan on a whole new wiring harness from scratch... not sounding like a fun project.

that seems like a headache just waiting to happen. even more so than fixing the current electrical.

If your wiring harness is shot, are you sure your ECU is shot too?

Sounds like a good time to find a part-out donor bike.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Anyone got any wooden wheels i can put on my bike? Im just not into this newfangeled 'cast' idea...

Maybe look into how different the wiring harness is on your bike vs. SV1000, SV650 or DL650.

Might vastly improve your odds of finding a cheap donor making that another alternative for a cost effective fix.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I'm thinking that if you like the older carbed version, you could probably just go find a good low mileage one of those and buy it for less than it will cost to fix or convert the one you have. Transfer any of your good farkles from the one you have to the "new" one, and voila!

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    If your wiring harness is shot, are you sure your ECU is shot too?

Sounds like a good time to find a part-out donor bike.
    I'm more likely to find a used bike and use mine as a donor to upgrade suspension, pretty sure ECU is shot, had a problem with it last spring as well, corrosion on a couple of the pins

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    I'm thinking that if you like the older carbed version, you could probably just go find a good low mileage one of those and buy it for less than it will cost to fix or convert the one you have. Transfer any of your good farkles from the one you have to the "new" one, and voila!

PhilB
    suzuki never made an older carbed version, I have thought of getting my SV on the road instead, with a used motor, I could rework my rear shock to fit the SV

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    You'll have two issues to sort. The first, tossing the throttle bodies and shoving carbs in their place, will be the easy one. The second is coming up with an ignition system, you may be able to adapt flywheel/pickups/etc from a first gen SV, maybe not. I'm not 100% on how many differences there are between the different generations of that motor. Plan on a whole new wiring harness from scratch... not sounding like a fun project.
    I doubt that 650 ignition bits will fit a 1k, I'm thinking my best help/advice would come from someone who had turned a TLS into a flat tracker, I know for fact that TL flat trackers have been converted to carbs,

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Honestly. I'd just go thru the bike first with an fsm and multi meter and start testing parts and making a list. Get the sv on the road for now. And just buy used parts on eBay piece at a time. Hell when I had my fzr one of my ignotors went, it was 250 from dealer. I ended up getting an entire wire harness with all electrical parts including the cdi box ignitors spark plug wires boots etc for 150 shipped. Remember you don't NEED new just working lol.
    Getting the carbs working will be easy its getting the ignition components together that will get pricey/ complicated.

I think by the time your done converting parts over to carbs it will be alot more work a money than just keeping your eyes open and waiting for some good deals.

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 05-14-12 at 11:37 AM.

SV needs engine, rear shock and rework forks. have already gone thru bike with test meter, harness is trash fzr's are common compared to Strom 1ks, used ECU's with no warranties other than claiming to come from a running bike are $500+ and I have found none for 07 or newer

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Oh one more thing ax far as the ignition goes I believe that dynojet actually makes custom prograble cognition modules for custom builds. They are pricey but might help in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    SV needs engine, rear shock and rework forks. have already gone thru bike with test meter, harness is trash fzr's are common compared to Strom 1ks, used ECU's with no warranties other than claiming to come from a running bike are $500+ and I have found none for 07 or newer
    Blech i didn't realize that. Although if you can find a local place with an ecu you could always go there and ohm it out before paying. I didnt realize it was that hard to find parts for the stroms. sorry dude.

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 05-14-12 at 11:44 AM.

Lifer

Looks like the SV1k and TL-S were EFI too. So no OEM setup to look too for the DL1000.

All I can add is; good luck, hope you are riding again soon.

Argo in Raymond has an '06 DL1000. Price is not right, but close to your parts guestimate.

Last edited by nhbubba; 05-14-12 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Looks like the SV1k and TL-S were EFI too. So no OEM setup to look too for the DL1000.

All I can add is; good luck, hope you are riding again soon.

Argo in Raymond has an '06 DL1000. Price is not right, but close to your parts guestimate.
    ya, the only carbed versions I know of are converted TL engines for flat trackers, parts bike would need to be 07 or newer

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    ...parts bike would need to be 07 or newer
    Bummah.

Is this because of the early EFI issues?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    Honestly. I'd just go thru the bike first with an fsm and multi meter and start testing parts and making a list. Get the sv on the road for now. And just buy used parts on eBay piece at a time. Hell when I had my fzr one of my ignotors went, it was 250 from dealer. I ended up getting an entire wire harness with all electrical parts including the cdi box ignitors spark plug wires boots etc for 150 shipped. Remember you don't NEED new just working lol.
    Getting the carbs working will be easy its getting the ignition components together that will get pricey/ complicated.

I think by the time your done converting parts over to carbs it will be alot more work a money than just keeping your eyes open and waiting for some good deals.
    This

I say start searching on ebay, you should be able to find parts eventually. In the meantime, why not pick up an old 80s UJM to ride around? I'm pretty sure you could get something for less then a grand, then sell it for about the same.

Lifer

It all depends on what type of fuel injection it has. Early release throttle body in an open loop system (no ignition or mixture feedback) could be as simple as pulling out the old (including the fuel pump) and dropping in a set of carbs. As far as there never being a carb'ed V-Strom - does the block trace back to earlier carb'ed bikes? Engineers are typically lazy - they don't move casting bosses or change designs unless they have to. Earlier model parts will take effort to hunt down, but should be bolt in...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

I like the "buy a used bike and use yours for parts model. If I were your, I'd look into "hardening" whatever bike you do end up getting on the road. Encasing ECU in liquid tape, greasing the hell out of all connectors, etc.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    As far as there never being a carb'ed V-Strom - does the block trace back to earlier carb'ed bikes? Engineers are typically lazy - they don't move casting bosses or change designs unless they have to.
    I take offense to that. Engineers are not so much lazy, but rather QC and cost constraints are very, very real. For everything you change there is an order of magnitude of QC checks that need to be updated, documentation, diag checks, etc, etc.

With that off my chest.

That's kind of what we were looking for; an example where the DL1000's engine was used in a carb'ed bike. I am only aware of the TL-S and SV1k using that engine. Both were apparently EFI from day 1.

Anybody know anything else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast