Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bike specific GPS

Re: Bike specific GPS

I upgraded to the newer TomTom Rider 550, which I realize may be the unpopular choice here. I'm not sure if the Garmins do this, but I really enjoy that I'm able to setup routes on any computer (the app is web-based) and when I turn on my TomTom in my garage, they automatically download to the device via WiFi.

I typically work on a route at the office and by Friday or Saturday when I'm ready to ride, I just startup the bike and the map pops in there. Or if a friend makes a route, I can add it online so I don't forget to add it to the device. Garmins may be able to do route sharing device-to-device but not something I like to deal with early AM when our group ride has some miles to get in.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I’ve got an older Garmin 660? that came with an old bike. I might install it on my DR650. Last year I bought a Kyocera phone to use as a dedicated GPS for the MABDR, but I didn’t have enough time to fiddle with it before the trip. All I want to do is be able to easily load an existing GPX file (made by someone else) onto it and follow along. More often than not, I won’t have the time or the patience to create my own route. I think the Garmin will probably be simpler to use.

I did see a Zumo XT on sale at a bicycle website for $379 a few days ago, can’t find it now.

Lifer

J&P Cycles is still advertising @ $399 : https://www.jpcycles.com/product/rz-...motorcycle-gps

Meh. I don't think I want it that badly yet. The new 890 is going to need a skid plate first.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    J&P Cycles is still advertising @ $399 : https://www.jpcycles.com/product/rz-...motorcycle-gps

Meh. I don't think I want it that badly yet. The new 890 is going to need a skid plate first.
    Thanks for the link! I grabbed one

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The Garmins are on sale again.

I snagged a lightly-used XT on eBay about a month ago for a deal, used it for a few says on the NEBDR end of May. I’m happy with it. Last year I bought a Kyocera rugged android phone and a powered mount to use as a dedicated GPS. There’s a huge megathread on ADV about it. I never found the time to sit and figure out how to get all the apps and maps working together. The XT is a lot more convenient to just set up and go.

I installed it with a Motopumps mount, they offer discounts to ADVRider members https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/m...oh-my.1539767/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I actually just upgraded my Kyocera Duraforce Pro to an LG V50 ThinQ 5G. It cost $130 on Swappa, it's insanely fast, waterproof, has wireless charging and a big battery, nice screen, 6GB/128GB RAM/storage (can probably store the entire worlds worth of openandromaps on that). Only thing I'm not sure about is how well the screen will resist phantom touches in rain. It'll get tested this weekend on a 3 day trip in the PA Wilds.

If this phone works out, I will be selling my DFP if anyone is interested in trying Android style nav.

My buddy has the Garmin XT. Other than being pretty and really good at A-to-B routing, he's not a huge fan of it when using tracks. Says track organization is practically non-existent (a problem if you have 50+ tracks you want to store like us). It's so bad he literally uploads the track we will be riding via Bluetooth from his phone immediately before a ride, only keeping that one track on the device at a time. And he has phantom touches in the rain like a lot of phones have.

The upside is, as said, that it's mostly dummy proof and requires less time to set it up.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I still have this Zumo 220 motorcycle GPS if anyone wants it for $50. It is older tech but works fine. Like new condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12