Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

BIKE STORAGE & REPAIR SHOP

I would like to get some polling response to the following idea:

I have a vacant 2,800 sf building containing office warehouse space. I would like to make it into a motorcycle storage depot that members could not only store there bike but also use the facility to work on the bike as well. It would be heated, have a work shop area, rest room and kitchen facility, and of course be alarmed and secure.

Do you think sport riders would be interested in this and is $125/month reasonable?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    508-653-8604 h 508-395-9812 c

Corrado Building & Remodeling, Inc.
    14-A Waushakum St
    Framingham, MA 01702
    508-875-6201
    www.cbrinc.com

If it were closer to me, i'd be interested For heated storage and workspace, i think it's reasonable. It may be a bit on the high side for just bike storage though

Yamaha

Banned

Kind of interested, Tom. Where is it located, Framingham?

derek

shit sounds like a franchise

deal....... 2 far for me sounds good thoe

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

aka Johnny Valve Stem need4speed's Avatar

Just a bit too far for me but definately a great idea. Would there be a discount on multiple bikes?

John
    LRRS\CCS #714
    2004 Duc 620 monster racebike
    89 EX500 racebike - sold
    98 Superhawk 996

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains".

Yes Derek it is in Framingham.

I think a discount for more than one bike could be done.

This may be better than the Sportbike Riders Association I had??

As far as too far away and in consideration of this fucking NewEngland weather and the legnth of our recent winters some sportriders may want to make the trek just for a good place to store their baby and lets face it you could stop by any time and work on her too!!!!!!!!

14-A Waushakum St
    Framingham, MA 01702
    508-875-6201
    www.cbrinc.com

How would security work within the place?

ie- someone pays 125 for a month and access. then takes all the bikes.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Hmm sounds almost big enough to ride around in.

Sounds like an excellent idea. However, $125 for storage only is a bit high.
    What were you thinking for security? That's alot of $$ in bikes stored in one place

I myself am... strange and unusual.

I just made up a flyer and am sending it to some local bike shops for more input. If you want a copy of this please call and leave your address and I will mail it to you also. It explains a lot more in the expected rates.

There are 5 rates one is $100.00/month

Each bike would have a steel wheel chock bolted to floor to hold the bike in place each bike would be locked by it's owner to this wheel chock.

I really want to get this moving if there is enough interest.

14-A Waushakum St
    Framingham, MA 01702
    508-875-6201
    www.cbrinc.com

Then when you find only a wheel left in the wheel chock what happens? I'm not trying to be a smartass(comes naturally ) but seriously will there be cameras or a keypad with a unique password so you can tell who is in the building at anytime? Badge access? ...and what about tools?

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Everybody to the limit!

I'd think twice before getting into the doityourself motorcycle repair business. Storage is one thing, but maintenance is quite another. I imagine you'd have quite a time finding an insurance company willing to cover such an endeavor. What if people hurt themselves? Or others? Damage the other bikes?

Another thing is the fluids, you could have a superfund site on your hands in no time. Have you seen the mess some people make just changing their oil? And that's in their own garage.

Finally, there's the matter of ventilation. If you're going to have people working on their bikes indoors, you're gonna need one hell of a ventilation system to get those exhaust gases out. They put a similar system in the local firehouse here, I think it cost them many tens of thousands of dollars. And that's just to install.

Between those and the possibility of theft, the whole thing is gonna be an insurance company's worst nightmare. If you can find someone to insure you, then you still have to heat the place, run the electricity, pay the mortgage and the taxes, pay someone to monitor the residence or monitor security 24/7...

When all's said and done, I would be surprised to see you break even, even if you manage to pack the place full at $125 a month. And that's a big if, because first off you're appealing to a very limited market: local motorcyclists who want to do their own maintenance and don't have a suitable place to do it. Motorcyclists are already a tiny part of the population, motorcyclists who do their own maintenance an even smaller piece of that pie, and most of them will have arranged for a place for themselves to do maintenance. And what does storage cost, $50 a month? For the added monthly cost of what you're proposing you can get a lot of dealer oil changes and valve adjustments....

Not saying it's not a cool idea, it is, my first reaction was like everyone else's here, hell yeah that'd be a cool place to work on my bike. But whether it'd be a profitable business...I dunno, maybe I'm too pessimistic when it comes to that sort of thing...

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    Have you seen the mess some people make just changing their oil? And that's in their own garage.
    *Looks around innocently*

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Tom you are the man! I have 2 I need to store and work on over the winter..

Have you talked to an insurance co about this? Or is this just a store at your own risk thing??? Security and locking down the bikes sound like a very good idea.. & the location is awesome for me!!!

I'll be calling you when I return, probably sometime next week. Have room for me to store my 7X14 trailor outside??

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

I'd look into insurance before you offer 'workspace' or repairs on premises. I had looked into something vaguely similar a coupla years ago, but the insurance for allowing work to be done on m/c's was outrageous. You may also wanna check the local zoning ordinances where the warehouse is. They may not allow this type of operation there....

All in all, it sounds like a good idea. Which is why I looked into something like this a while back...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Some quick and short answers to all the above.

I am already paying the, mortgage, heat, electric and insurance and it is currently vacant!

I have talked with an agent on different insurances.

I have not aproached the building, zoning or fire departements as this is still only in the exploratory stage. The fire department may have an issue with gasoline storage.

There would be a monitored alarm, I have not inquired as of yet to a swipe card (such as at the gun clubs) or servalance camara but if it were to get off the ground I would eventually install both.

The accessability (operating hours) is an issue intill a swipe card and servalance was installed it would probably be staffed thus limitting free access by memebers to hours of business or by appointment.

Hazardous waste, oil spills,etc. do not concern me as much as the other issues. I currently have a shop/garage next door and that has never been a problem. Products would be on hand to clean up any possible spillage and the capacity of such items is minimal we are not storing super tankers.

Well time will only tell if this idea comes to fruition, if not it will be rented to some other entity or I may make it a wood working shop and keep my existing shop for equipment repairs only.

14-A Waushakum St
    Framingham, MA 01702
    508-875-6201
    www.cbrinc.com

I like this idea a lot, I think its a great idea. I think you could even limit a lot of the legal and insurance hassles by simply having anyone who participates sign some sort of agreement stating that they understand there are certain risks, and that they hold you blameless.

I do see tools walking off the premise quite easily though. I would tend to think people would have to bring thier own, or have someone present whenever your 'hours of operation' will be, to sign out tools to people, and sign them back in. Some sort of badge system would be great for this, and security. I've done some work in that area in the past, its not that difficult or expensive believe it or not.

I would probably be interested in participating myself if I didn't already have a heated garage, but I know of at least one person who would be very interested.

StumpyNB
    '11 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

what about this?

how would you feel if core6 (stunters) rented some space a few days a month from you?

is it big enough (how long and wide-i dont like square feet!!lol) to ride slow wheelies in?

would that be something you'd be interested in?

lemme know, cuz there is a HUGE demand for a practice spot for New Englands Pro stunters....we gotta compete in April, and that doesnt leave much room to improve, or even work out the rust...

reply here, or my email is Teach@core6.net

Chris

The parking lot would be large enough but I can't imagine the building would be big enough for that but then again I don't know shit about stunting!

14-A Waushakum St
    Framingham, MA 01702
    508-875-6201
    www.cbrinc.com

Originally posted by StumpyNB
    I like this idea a lot, I think its a great idea. I think you could even limit a lot of the legal and insurance hassles by simply having anyone who participates sign some sort of agreement stating that they understand there are certain risks, and that they hold you blameless.
    A waiver won't 'hold up' in the event went after him. I'm talking about liability insurance and worker's comp insurance. I'm not sure about MA, but in NH you'd need both. Liability would be the big hit. But storing & working on vehicles can also levy hefty permit costs. Plus disposal fees for spent chemicals. In a business situation, it's usually a bit more than running down to your local recycling center. Usually the EPA and the locals monitor how you dispose of 'em, and have certain criteria and guidelines you must meet as well as insist that you use qualified, certified disposal companies...

These are but a few things I ran into while researching something very similar to this a coupla years ago...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Originally posted by TLC_CBR
    The parking lot would be large enough but I can't imagine the building would be big enough for that but then again I don't know shit about stunting!
    would you even be interested in discussing the idea? right now my summer time practice parking lot is no bigger than 20 parking spaces long and maybe ten wide....just enough to practice really slow stuff-cirlces, no handers, etc.

lemme know,

Teach

Chris I sent you some e-mails.

Give me a call or e-mail me to set up a time.

14-A Waushakum St
    Framingham, MA 01702
    508-875-6201
    www.cbrinc.com