Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another what bike to get thread (5th bike, experienced rider)

Greetings ~

I am getting the itch for a different bike. I have been riding the 1985 Nighthawk 650SC for the past 3 years. I love the bike - it is practically maintance-free. Change the oil, the plugs, charge the battery and you are off...

But my ass hurts after an hour, the wind beats me down on the highway, I am rolling on 20 year old technology, and I am wanting a more sporty ride, more comfort, better handling. (the riding position and the seat suck on the Hawk, and the wind is just brutal past 70 mph, even with a slipstream windscreen.)

Here are my past rides...I am not necessarily partial to standards, they just happen to be cheap and easy to work on. If anyone even remembers these bikes, much less ever owned one, then good for you:

1978 Honda CM400T (My starter bike)

1980 Honda CB 650 Custom (my favorite, but a mechanical nightmare)

1983 Suzuki GS850E (The beast)

and my current 85 Nighthawk...

So what should I get? I am not really into getting a hardcore sportbike - I prefer a more relaxed riding position but also want a carver. So, what, a Sport Tourer? How about an ST1100? - that would be great, but it is about 5 times more than I want to spend. I ride about 2-5 thousand miles a year, depending on time, so I don't want a money pit around my neck.

So, my list of criteria in order of importance:

No more than $4,000
    Reliable
    Comfortable
    Good handling
    Power
    Great looking

I usually run at a relaxed pace (Haven't been down since I was 17 on a Moped - I am now 36) but I enjoy speed. (My car is a Dodge SRT-4, which I run at the track.

Is that enough background? What do you think? Katana 750? Sv650? Keep the Hawk and buy a Corbin saddle?

Thoughts are appreciated...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Steve -- The Bluesman

2004 Honda 599 Hornet

def time to upgrade. look on ebay for a good deal. 5th gen honda vfr or a sv 650 are to bikes that come to mind. also the kawasaki 1200 standard (i forgot the name) you can get them cheap.

No more than 4k, buy a used race bike, put the lights and mirrors on it, have fun.

Katana is a good cruising bike, two up. I have a black 750, she's a sweetie! 4K might get you a used gsx-r 1000, but that is a speed specific bike, lacking some comfort.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by blackvfr
    5th gen honda vfr
    Dunno which generation is which...

Dis One?

I almost bought a 2000 one of those, guy wanted 4k for it. Sounds like everything you're looking for in a bike?

Originally posted by blackvfr
    def time to upgrade. look on ebay for a good deal. 5th gen honda vfr or a sv 650 are to bikes that come to mind. also the kawasaki 1200 standard (i forgot the name) you can get them cheap.
    the ZRX...bad ass bike right thure..

I have an 03 z1000 and love it but I don't think you'd fine one you want for $4k. But you will have the same wind complaints...

As blackvfr said the vfr and sv are great bikes to look at. Also the tl1000s would be cool.l The yama fz-1..still a standard but has some wind protection... ummmm....and 600cc sport bike would offer wind protection and be a lot better performer then you are used too...but it might lack in the comfy cat.

hhmmm... what else...

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Lifer

I was going to suggest a 4th gen VFR 750 (1994-1997) or a 5th Gen VFR 800 (1998-2001) but figured I'd wait to see what other people said.

You would probably like the bike, and find it plenty comfy and fast. It is considered a very reliable bike & relatively low maintenance, but it IS harder to work on if and when it needs work.

You will need to look around to find a good one for $4k too.

Ben

Lifer

You might look for a Kawasaki Concourse, or Suzuki Katana 750/1100. They have been around forever, low maintanence, good for longer rides, etc.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

not that I have the experience/right to say, but I also say find a nice VFR - after seeing Ben's last week I'm almost positive that's going to be my next ride (this from the guy who changes his mind about what bike he's getting next every week..I've got at least the rest of this season and maybe next before I upgrade so it's a lot of time to think!)
    While the sv650 is great, I'm not sure it would provide the wind protection you're looking for...

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

SV650S....sweet looking bike, heard it's pretty comfortable also.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Lifer

Compared to a Nighthawk the only things suggested so far which are going to be comfy are the VFR and the Katana. Everything else is going to seem like it has really low bars. I would imagine the VFR and Katana also have lower bars, but not by much. The nighthawk is a pretty comfortable bike. It's no Harley with ape hangers and forward pegs.

Not much has better wind protection than those two either.

Not sure about the Katana, but at 70mph on the VFR, you barely feel anything. I usually feel more like going 80mph on a trip, even if it's raining.

I'd rather have a Nighthawk for commuting short distances and errands in the city though. Less maintenance, way less tire $$ to go through, and the wind protection on a bike like the VFR is useless in the city. And while the VFR and Katana are both considered "not fast enough" by lots of people, I find the amount of power the bike has pretty useless in the city. Halfway up the tach in first gear is like 35mph, and how often do you go any faster than that riding around town. (Responsibly) If I go to work I never really go above 5k rpm, most of the time it's more like 3-4k to avoid becoming a stain on the back of someone's car or running over a pedestrian.

Ben

Want a great bike thats faster than what you have, comfy, sporty, a decent looker, under 4K?

Ever thought about buying an older BMW? Say like a late 80's vintage K100RS? Had an 85 K100RS, the motors are bulletproof, the last forever, if you aren't afraid of a wrench they are easy to work on and maintain. Also, Kawasaki Concours, plenty around in that price range, both meet your criteria I do believe.

Some pics:

SV is a great bike too, owned one of those as well, but for comfort and reliability I really like the Concours, and K100RS.

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Lifer

Yah the BMWs are a great choice too!

I think the Katana is great. Good wind protection and it does get up and go. It is also very comfy on long rides .

Originally posted by benSV
    Compared to a Nighthawk the only things suggested so far which are going to be comfy are the VFR and the Katana. Everything else is going to seem like it has really low bars. I would imagine the VFR and Katana also have lower bars, but not by much. The nighthawk is a pretty comfortable bike. It's no Harley with ape hangers and forward pegs.

Not much has better wind protection than those two either.

Not sure about the Katana, but at 70mph on the VFR, you barely feel anything. I usually feel more like going 80mph on a trip, even if it's raining.

I'd rather have a Nighthawk for commuting short distances and errands in the city though. Less maintenance, way less tire $$ to go through, and the wind protection on a bike like the VFR is useless in the city. And while the VFR and Katana are both considered "not fast enough" by lots of people, I find the amount of power the bike has pretty useless in the city. Halfway up the tach in first gear is like 35mph, and how often do you go any faster than that riding around town. (Responsibly) If I go to work I never really go above 5k rpm, most of the time it's more like 3-4k to avoid becoming a stain on the back of someone's car or running over a pedestrian.

Ben

Lifer

See Mystery Squid, other people mentioned the Katana and Concourse too.... :-)

They may not be the best to look at, but they will go on long cruises..

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Originally posted by SSearchVT
    See Mystery Squid, other people mentioned the Katana and Concourse too.... :-)

They may not be the best to look at, but they will go on long cruises..
    they go fast enought to kill you and I happen to like mine!!!LOL

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

you can find a used Rex for the price you are lookin for. I have an 02 zrx1200 and I love it. You would want to get a corbin (I need one - but i'm fat so I complain about the seat a bit). You will still complain about the wind but I hear some of the touring windscreens that you can get pretty cheap make a huge difference. Check out www.zrxoa.com and go to the for sale section. You can find a good 11/1200 in there for the price you lookin at.

Bras cause cancer.

i was over there anyway so I thought that I would peek at the for sale stuffs...

00 1100 for $3800 here

02 red 1200 for $4g
    bunch of extras

Bras cause cancer.

YZF600R. VERY comfortable, and turns great

I do like the VFRs too, did a group ride 3 weeks ago and there were 6-8 of them there! Looked comfortable, and they were quite capable in the corners.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

2003 Yami R6

Just ask R7

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Just get a BUSA, and be done with it.......

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Concours is a great bike but not exactly pretty.It has adequate power and handles better than you'd expect it would, especially with Race Tech springs and emulators up front (the OEM rear shock is pretty good). They are bulletproof, cheap to buy/maintain and wicked comfy. They tend to be hot in the Summer but a short screen and some wind deflectors/scoops, a Kawasaki option, makes them quite pleasant. A tall screen in the colder months makes them comfortable to well below freezing, if you add heated grips and a Gerbings jacket (to me, heated grips/jacket make bikes with less fairing than a Conk "tolerable" in sub 32 F weather). Lemme know if you looking for a Conk. I belong to the Concours Owners Group and know lots of people with them. Finding a good used one should prove easy.

SV560 is a great bike but lacks wind protection.

Don't bother with Corbin; have the saddle rebuilt by Rick Mayer or Russell seats if you intend to keep the Nighthawk. Not much more money and an order of magnitude better for comfort.

Hey Nikon,

I thought the ZRX only came in GREEN ???!!!???

No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of.

- Mike
    CBR 1000 RR
    CBR 600 F4

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    Don't bother with Corbin; have the saddle rebuilt by Rick Mayer or Russell seats if you intend to keep the Nighthawk. Not much more money and an order of magnitude better for comfort.
    I can vouch for the Russell saddles for sure! They cost a pretty penny (in leather they start around $400), but when he says its a "Day Long" saddle, he isn't kidding, you can ride all day, with no 'but ache'

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone...Not sure I am wanting a liter bike - leaning toward the Katana, VFR...

Steve -- The Bluesman

2004 Honda 599 Hornet

Originally posted by cyberxen
    Hey Nikon,

I thought the ZRX only came in GREEN ???!!!???

fucker
    that's the only reason people look at it
    "I thought Kawi only made bikes in green..."
    "must be a custom paint job..."
    but why put money into a custom paint job for such an ugly bike...."
    "just dumb I guess...now look at this new cbr1000rr"
    "now THAT'S a bike"

Bras cause cancer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast