Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

How would you get your bike thru the snow?

I have to get my bike from the shed to the bulkhead entrance to the basement. It's thru about 50 feet of 1.2-2 foot deep snow, which I REALLY don't want to have to shovel a path through, 'cause the snow is all frozen and heavy. I was thinking about taking 2 plywood 4x8 sheets and using them as a kind of moving bridge (you know, roll onto one, move the other in front, roll onto that one, repeat many times). Any brighter ideas? I was also thinking about straight carrying it, but I'd need like 4 people (just to make sure we don't drop it) and there's really no good places to hold on the front end.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Me? Sarchastic?? Nooooo!! FazerChic's Avatar

try nitrous...what the hell

My shit:

2004 Yamaha FZ6 (Naked....mmmmmmm) (FOR SALE!!!! CONTACT ME FOR INFO!)
    2004 Mini Cooper - Deal's Gap tested and approved

Guys on sportbikes are so hot....until they take their helmet off. Just leave the damn thing on already!

Beware the counterfeit Mini!

get a heat gun and an extension cord to soften up the snow before you shovel.

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Go to Moto Market and recruit 4 people and do it. Lemme know if ya need sum help.

FireNutz

Last edited by Wayne-o; 01-28-03 at 07:29 PM.

you could take it completly apart and carry it in piece by piece, just make sure to draw yourself a really good picture so you can put it all back together.
    But your best bet is to shovel the path.
    I would still use the plywood once you shoveled.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Roll it onto a tobaggon (sp?) and......what theothersean said...yeah

WARNING: You may be exposed to irony, to wit: an utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning; Please do not overreact. Only objects in the rearview mirror are larger than they seem everything else is just as you thought it was.

aka Johnny Valve Stem need4speed's Avatar

Matt, Do it like the people who steal bikes do. Get two wooden baseball bats and 4 friends and put the bats thru the front and back wheels and carry it.

John
    LRRS\CCS #714
    2004 Duc 620 monster racebike
    89 EX500 racebike - sold
    98 Superhawk 996

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains".

wait till the snow melts

springs on the way only 7 more weeks

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Or you could just aim the front end where you wanna go, warm up the bike, put it in second hold the throttle wide open and dump the clutch you will leap forward and the momentum might be enough to push over the ice to the back door, cover the brakes though, just in case. Hey if nothing else you will have an interesting story to tell the Insurance. adjuster that comes to look at the totaled bike lodged in the back of the house.

Take pics.......

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Shovel the softer snow away, if it's frozen hard enuf so that you can't shovel it, you bike should ride on top, once you have somewhat a path, start your bike up and let it warm up, then walk beside it with it in gear slippping clutch if necessary or pushing and spinning rear tire if necessary this is how I get my bike in and out of my driveway when I go for winter rides, but knobby tires work better for this than street tires I found out this winter, in past, I have always run dual sport tires in winter.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Rent two cranes and operating engineers.
    1, 100 ton crane to lift and move the house, and one 10 ton boom truck to lift out the bike and swing it out to the street!
    No problem!
    Can I help solve any other issues??

Sean's Idea is good to but more time consuming, where as my idea will just cost you a shit load!!!!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Originally posted by Half Squid

Well sorry Randy this was ment for sean boy!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

I Dance With Will

Originally posted by Half Squid

Rent two cranes and operating engineers.
    1, 100 ton crane to lift and move the house, and one 10 ton boom truck to lift out the bike and swing it out to the street!
    No problem!
    Can I help solve any other issues??

Sean's Idea is good to but more time consuming, where as my idea will just cost you a shit load!!!!
    i like this idea.

"fuckit!"

For a masley $600.00 I can Bring my BACKHOE by to clear U a path.

I just thought of this, take 2 4x8 pieces of plywood, line them up push the bike to the end of the second one, move the first one to the end of the second one, move forward 8 feet, the move the one behind in front again. Probably have someone to push and one or two to move the plywood.

Just be careful man. Even though the snow might look frozen, remember that the bike has some weight to it. I have learnt that a simple job , could turn out costly from misjudgement.

yeah, well, I got the bike all the way through the snow to the bulkhead, but I couldn't get it in anyway. THanks for the ideas guys

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

How come you couldn't get it down the bulkhead?
    I put my R7 in my basement every winter and bring it up and down the bulkhead stairs and they're only 35 inches wide. I use a plank and kinda slide it down slowly (put it in gear and let the rear tire slide as you work the front brake), it takes two people to bring it in and three people to get it out

Yamaha

Well, it wasn't the width actually, it was the break-over angle. The bulkhead entrance actually sits almost a foot off the ground (there's kind of a concrete step up to it), so with the snow it's pretty much level. But the thing is, the stairs are so steep that if I try to roll the bike in, it high-centers way before the back tire makes it to the downslope. It actually hits right behind the very front edge of the bottom plastic. I tried jacking up the back of the outside ramp, to decrease the angle, but it was pretty wobbly and I just decided to call it quits before I dropped the damn ting down the stairs (and ran myself over in the process). really, the only way I could think of, after trying several ideas, that would actualy work would be mounting an arm on the roof of the house, lifting the whole bike up, and lowering it down the stairs that way. And, since it's not my house, I decided not to start building a crane derric on the roof By the time I was done trying everything I could think of I was pretty cold and wet anyway, so I just gave up. I'm just gonna borrow a big kerosene construction heater from a guy at work and do it all in the garage.

I REALLY wish I had straight basement access, like most houses built on hills. That would be SO cool. I stayed in a rented house in NH once with like big sliding glass doors that went right into the basement, it was SO easy to get stuff in and out, we kept all kinds of big shit in there (like sailboats and outboard motors and stuff). Many years from now, when I'm looking for a house, it's definitely gonna have easy straight-level access to the basement...

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

I have the exact same bulkhead setup as you mentioned. I should have mentioned i used a 16 foot long plank, had 6 feet sticking outside and 10 feet sticking in the basement using the bulkhead step as a pivot point for the plank. I role the bike up on the 6 foot part sticking outside until the center of the bike is over the bulkhead step then simply pivot the part hanging in the house down until it touches the floor. the bike will already be on the angle it needs to be pointing to the basement, one person works the front brake and balances it while the other justhangs onto the rear wheel with a little uphill force and making sure it stays in the center of the plank. I've done it so many times it seems easy to me but i can see being nervous about it

Yamaha