Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Another bike with no title thread.

Lifer

Another bike with no title thread.

So ive found my dream bike. Its an old 74 yami rd. Its a MA bike i think thats still in MA. The bike is sweet and complete. Only problem is the owner has no title and no old registration for MA title. Ive heard people Register it in VT then use that reg and new bill of sale to get a MA title for it. Anyone know if its true or even worth it? The bike is cheap and they dont pop up too often. Usually id just get a new used titled frame but they are impossible to find for this bike. Id love to get it and ride legally. Ive got friends in NH, VT, CT, and NY that i can ask to help register it for me but ultimately it needs to end up with a MA title.
    Anyone got tips or pointers? Ive been looking for this one for 6 years and its close by to boot. Its been sitting indoors for over 20 years so everythings been lost.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Another bike with no title thread.

Anyone from out of state may register a vehicle in Vermont.

You can use your out of state address, this is not illegal except for the fact that your town in Mass may want its yearly excise tax on it .

The look back period is 15 years for titles here in Vermont otherwise bill of sale is enough to register and a VIN check of the vehicle would also be necessarry within 60 days of initial registration.

I would check Mass RMV , I am pretty sure you have a look back period of 25 years down there, so no tilte would be neccessary anyways just a bill of sale on a 1974.

TIMMYDUCK

I got a Vermont registration last year on my 72 r5. Had it in about 3 weeks, then transferred it to MA no problem.

Lifer

Good to know. I just talked to the owner and the bike actually came from vt. Last registered in 1978. Im waiting on the vin so i can check it out but I really dont have a reason not to believe the guy.
    If i have a house in vt do you think it can be registered to that then bring it over to ma without issues?
    Im getting fairly excited now. My dream is close.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Good to know. I just talked to the owner and the bike actually came from vt. Last registered in 1978. Im waiting on the vin so i can check it out but I really dont have a reason not to believe the guy.
    If i have a house in vt do you think it can be registered to that then bring it over to ma without issues?
    Im getting fairly excited now. My dream is close.
    You don't need to do that and shouldn't

If you live in Mass use your Mass address, it will be easier and it is what VT DMV wants.

You claim a VT residency and they want to see utility bills or other supporting documents with your name on them that you do actually live there.

You need to understand that this a tourism state and we register everyone's Snowmobiles , ATV's, Boats, RV's or bikes everyday up here so you out of staters can be legal.

Last edited by TIMMYDUCK; 01-01-12 at 05:51 PM.
    TIMMYDUCK

I used my MA address, you can get the forms online. I think it says resident or non resident right on the top, so it isn't an issue. While you're waiting head over to 2strokeworld.com and look around.

Lifer

Thanks for the info guys. Im trying to run the vin now but my carfax wont run it due to the low vin numbers. Im gonna have to call the dmv in the am and see if they can. Guy wants it gone bad so im gonna try to do it quickly.

Lifer

Does the bill of sale i show to VT have to be the same signature as the original title holder?
    The current owner never did anything with the bike but wasnt the last to title/register it. He thinks its gone through at least one other person that never did any paper work on it. Im not sure if i can the name of the last "real" owner.

Does the bill of sale i show to VT have to be the same signature as the original title holder?
    The current owner never did anything with the bike but wasnt the last to title/register it. He thinks its gone through at least one other person that never did any paper work on it. Im not sure if i can the name of the last "real" owner.
    No Just the guy you buy it from needs to fill out a bill of sale.

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil..._Title_App.pdf

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...meter_Cert.pdf

Complete these two forms properly, smile and give us your cash.

We will give you beautiful green plates

Last edited by TIMMYDUCK; 01-02-12 at 11:00 AM.
    TIMMYDUCK

Pics of RD. I used to have one that I sold to a guy from Mass... This may be the one.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Lifer

It might be. Its got 3k miles on it and is white with red stripes. Other than being kinda rusty the only thing distingushing about it is the headlight lens is missing and it has a k&n sticker on the oil pump cover.

Lifer

Im not going to be getting the bike for now. While it does run well the owner parted some it and its the mostly expensive stuff like headlight, tank and odds and ends.

Anyone getting rid of another rd? Now I really want one.

Im not going to be getting the bike for now. While it does run well the owner parted some it and its the mostly expensive stuff like headlight, tank and odds and ends.

Anyone getting rid of another rd? Now I really want one.
    If it runs and is cheap it may be worth picking up for spares if you really want one. Tanks and headlights are fairly common and reasonably priced.

Here you go, buy this,
    http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/2728150122.html
    have the guy register it, then go get the one you were looking at and build a good one from the pair that you can register in Mass....

Lifer

I saw that nh one. The problem with buying both of them is i can get a legit titled 250 or 350 from a local guy for a little more money. Im trying to find one that i can restore and kinda make my own, Im not really looking for a complete mint one. The 250 i looked at fit that bill but his asking price made it too high for the parts I would need to get to complete it. Id be all over that NH one if it ran but as is its just too much money for me to even see.

Looks like the going price for a nice, low mileage one is around $1500 which is actually a really good price but it would be a shame for me to immediately tear it up.
    I may go back to the original 250 I saw but to just get it complete but not really legal would set me back about $300 on ebay using buy it nows. Maybe less if i waited but probably not. The gas tank is an expensive part to get a known good one and believe it or not those headlights are pricey too. He's at $400 now and He may budge a bit but not much. I dont have room to part either.

decisions, decisions.

It might be. Its got 3k miles on it and is white with red stripes. Other than being kinda rusty the only thing distingushing about it is the headlight lens is missing and it has a k&n sticker on the oil pump cover.
    Nope. mine was yellow, all cafed out with full bodywork.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X