Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bike Toys

Bike Toys

So with my impending trip to Deal's Gap in June I've put together a list of new toys for the bike that I would like to get (finances permitting) prior to leaving.

1) New tires - check! Now just need to get them put on!
    2) RAM mount for my iPhone so I can have a GPS/music while on the bike (need to get connection to charge phone too)
    3) Some type of bluetooth headset so I can listen to music from the iPhone
    4) tank or tail bag - leaning towards tail bag since I don't plan on having any passengers (suggestions welcome for a 2009 Ninja)
    5) oh, might be a good idea to get it inspected (and my car too since I just realized it's 2 months past due!)
    6) one of those Men in Black "look into this and watch the light" flasher things so I can forget all sightings of Asa's balls when at the Gap

Down the road I'd like to get a set of leathers, but for now I will stick with my current gear since leathers are costly. And next year I'll be looking to upgrade the bike so I feel like the leathers will take a back seat to a bike switch.

Now if only the sun would shine on a day off then I could go riding

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2016 Ninja 650

Re: Bike Toys

I just this season got a RAM handlebar mount and x-grip for my phone, and also a sena smh10. I have only the used them a few times so far but I am really pleased with both products. When I first glanced at the instructions for the Sena I was worried it would be complicated to learn, but it's actually a piece of cake to figure out and operate. The only problem I have with the x-grip is that for my particular phone (Lumia 1020), it is a bit of a pain to position the mount in a way where it doesn't press one of the side buttons on my phone. With an iphone I think you will be just fine. I would also like to find a good solution for a charger for my phone, because using GPS really drains my battery fast.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

pretty sure that RAM has a iphone specific mount. if not then the x grip the way to go.

i dont know what you have for gear, but if you think that leathers are costly, then you should check your health insurance deductible just to see which is cheaper.
    i know mine is $3k soooo...a set of leathers is cheap in comparison. know what i mean?

i guess my point is, youre a fairly new rider, riding on roads that challenge even some of the most skilled and experienced riders in the world (which is why people go there to begin with) and if your plan is to ride around in jeans then you should rethink it. go there prepared.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SVRACER01; 05-04-14 at 03:25 PM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

For charging stuff/ electronic-

Battery tender ring terminal harness.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B000NCOKZQ

Connected to this

http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

Runs my GPS and phone charger at the correct voltages and I can pop the accessories off to accommodate a battery tender.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post

i dont know what you have for gear, but if you think that leathers are costly, then you should check your health insurance deductible just to see which is cheaper.
    i know mine is $3k soooo...a set of leathers is cheap in comparison. know what i mean?

i guess my point is, youre a fairly new rider, riding on roads that challenge even some of the most skilled and experienced riders in the world (which is why people go there to begin with) and if your plan is to ride around in jeans then you should rethink it. go there prepared.
    I've never been a passenger or ridden without gear. My current gear is one step down from leathers so I know I am protected should something happen (as much as gear can protect you). It's just a bit bulkier than leathers which is why I'd like a pair to have in addition to current gear. I'm not into being scarred from road rash for the rest of my life or worse injuries which could be prevented with gear - therefore the reason why I would never ride without!

2016 Ninja 650

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post

Battery tender ring terminal harness.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B000NCOKZQ

Connected to this

Runs my GPS and phone charger at the correct voltages and I can pop the accessories off to accommodate a battery tender.
    I already have the battery tender lead wired up, but I had no idea the USB to SAE existed! Thanks for the link that's a great solution.

Not to ask what you're wearing or anything, but are we talking 2 pc. leather or textile here?

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Thats good. Riding down there is like having sex with a hooker...always wear more protection then you think youll need.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I second the X-Mount and SENA SMH10.

2018 Aprilia Touno Factory
    2018 Ducati Desert Sled
    2017 Honda Grom (lot's of Mods)
    2016 KTM 300 XC-W, 2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Lifer

I'd go with the X-mount even if there is an iphone specific mount. The X is bound to be more flexible for the next phone or whatever. I really like the xmount jobbie. I'd get that if I were you.

Sena for intercom. I think the SMH-5 is good 'nuf. But that's up to you. Any of their intercoms seem to be top notch.

Been in the market for a tail-bag myself. I'm zeroing in on the Dryspec D38 from twisted. Maybe the smaller D28 is what you're after? Maybe?

I have a leather 2-piece that cost a fraction of my textile uber suit. You gotta pay for quality no matter what the material.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post

Connected to this

I have the battery tender piece, although haven't actually used my battery tender yet. I will have to order that other piece and hook it up! Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Not to ask what you're wearing or anything, but are we talking 2 pc. leather or textile here?
    I have quality textile gear. It's the woven gear - not mesh. When I was purchasing gear the leathers were much more expensive and it was explained to me that this gear was just below the protection level of leathers. It was within my price range and it protects me. Would leathers protect me more? Probably. But I'm not out riding in jeans and t-shirts. I take my precautions and when I am able to then I will purchase a quality set of leathers (preferably a 1 piece suit, but might go with 2 piece)

Last edited by aprilb; 05-04-14 at 07:11 PM.
    2016 Ninja 650

Woven textile you should be OK. I've gone down twice in my Cortech jacket and you can't tell. ( granted they were relatively slow lowsides ) MY leather gloves show more wear.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

In preparation for a DG trip I never took (my mom got sick) I bought a Kaoko throttle lock from Twisted Throttle.

If that isn't in your budget a Cramp Buster is cheap and easily removed.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

I may catch some flack for this from the pro-music riders in the group but I always thought that riding with music in a place like Deal's Gap and the surrounding roads was a recipe for disaster.

I personally don't like the distraction of music while riding when I am riding anywhere so I am definitely a minority when it comes to this.

A Couple of scenarios I can picture:

A song I like comes on that gets me to drive a little faster than I should be for the road conditions and I over cook a corner and crash. Most places not too big a deal. The Gap, could have big consequences.

Something goes wonky with my music delivery system while I am riding. Instead of being intelligent and pulling off to the side of the road to try to address this I try to do it while riding. Again, most places not too big a deal. The Gap, could have big consequences.

When I ride I like to be fully aware of my surroundings and one of my means of doing this is my hearing. I like to be able to hear my bike. I like to be able to hear other bikes around me. I like to hear the cars and trucks coming from any and all directions. For me headphones and/or helmet speakers would severly compromise my hearing for all of those situations and it isn't something I choose to do.

Just thowing another opinion in the ring. Take it as you will. Regardless of your choices have a great and fun trip. I know you have been there before so you know what you are in for. Enjoy!

Joel

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Everything you mention with regard to music being a distraction is a function of rider discipline. A rider can be undisciplined and stupid without music. And a rider can be disciplined and smart with it. Each of us should strive to be smart, disciplined riders regardless of what gadgets are or are not attached to your helmet.

In my view, if you cannot ride with a distraction this small, you probably shouldn't be on the road at all. But I accept that I find music to be a very slight distraction and (believe I) have the discipline to ride safely with it. This is a YMMV situation and may not be the same for all riders.

Riding 'the gap' is an intense experience. Screwing up has significant consequences. ... But then, so does riding on I-495 in traffic. Or making an ice-cream run across town on a Saturday evening. Shit happens, be ready.

IIRC the OP is a fairly new rider. My word of caution would be to take it slow and above all else: ride your own ride!!! Don't try to keep up. Don't try to look cool for the photographers. (They seem like they are at every other corner at the gap.) And don't try to impress anyone. Ride your own ride. Make your own decisions. And force yourself to slow down and think about what you are doing. If you GPS/phone/music player/tank bag/windscreen/whatever does something you don't expect, either stop to address it or ignore it. No in between.

In my opinion, the biggest dangers riding the gap are getting in over your head and other riders/drivers. Unfortunately there isn't a damned thing you can do about the other riders/drivers except focus on keeping it at 80-90%. Always keep something in reserve and ride defensively. Just like any other riding situation.

Use your head. Ride safe.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

IIRC the OP is a fairly new rider. My word of caution would be to take it slow and above all else: ride your own ride!!! Don't try to keep up. Don't try to look cool for the photographers. (They seem like they are at every other corner at the gap.) And don't try to impress anyone. Ride your own ride. Make your own decisions. And force yourself to slow down and think about what you are doing. If you GPS/phone/music player/tank bag/windscreen/whatever does something you don't expect, either stop to address it or ignore it. No in between.

In my opinion, the biggest dangers riding the gap are getting in over your head and other riders/drivers. Unfortunately there isn't a damned thing you can do about the other riders/drivers except focus on keeping it at 80-90%. Always keep something in reserve and ride defensively. Just like any other riding situation.

Use your head. Ride safe.

From day one of being around those who have been on bikes for years the saying "ride your own ride" has been drilled into my head. From my very first 1 mile ride to my most recent 100 mile, it's always within my limits. I've seen the devastation which can occur in a motorcycle wreck and I do not want to be one of those individuals.

In regards to the music, riding the Gap will not involve listening to music for me. It's a road that I've been a passenger on, but realize it's a whole new ball of wax when I'm the one navigating. I'd rather make those initial passes with no distractions and only worry about the ride. I'm comfortable riding "regular" rides with music in my ear, but it's not something I even fiddle with if I'm on the go. Only time it gets touched is if I've pulled over to adjust something. It's not something worth losing my life or limb over so I pull off or just wait until the predetermined pull-off to fix whatever the issue is.

In regards to the GPS, not something I would even have out on the Gap so not worried about that.

It's all a learning experience and each ride I am able to learn a little bit more. I have my comfort zones and I have those zones I need to work on. But something I have done with every ride to this point is ride my own ride. I go at my pace, take things as I'm comfortable with, and don't try to "show-off" or keep up with those I'm with.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2016 Ninja 650

I can't say enough good about my SMH10. I've been contemplating selling it and getting the 10R model.

07 S4RS

01xj you rock. I had no idea there was a USB to SAE. I NEED to buy one ASAP!! I already have my batter tender cable mounted to the battery so it will be a simple plug right in and zip tie job.

Another +1 on the Ram mount x grip as well. Holds my phone on there like there is no tomorrow and it's adjustable to position it where you want it.
    Another +1 on the SMH-10. I'm a happy customer with that.

You're going with Asa?!? Good luck
    Actually, he's the reason I bought a Ram mount, and showed me how to put new tires on a couple weeks ago.

Lifer

Autozone sells 2-pin SAE plugs in the section with trailer hitches and plugs. So if you are the least bit handy with a soldering iron or some crimp connectors...

Or just save yourself some time and toss down the $12 to buy one already made:

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...ery+tender+usb

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2020 BMW R1250GS Adventure Exclusive
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Temporarily out of stock.
    That battery tender brand jobbie is unobtanium... out of stock everywhere.. or maybe my google foo sucks.

Most want ~$30-40 for a dual outlet USB setup.

Yeah, I looked.

I was looking at this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170946209673...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT since it has a 48" cord.
    I've got enough electrical problems with my bike, I don't want to try to rig some setup to save pennies only to fry my phone haha

Lifer

That's a fair price. Since I was buying, I wanted a 2-lug. I couldn't find any pre-wired for less than $30 or $40.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Not the first time for that.