Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bike transport question...

Bike transport question...

Has anyone ever used or had any experience with this type of bike carrier: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...1&s=automotive

Bike transport question...-41syvcclocl-_ss400_-jpg

I'm just looking for something basic to transport my SV, (whether to the track, or to winter storage), something that is also easy to store as I have limited storage space (and I have NO garage/parking space for a "real" trailer!). I drive a 2012 Subaru Forester with the "standard" tow package installed, if that matters...

Any applicable comments/suggestions/opinions on this carrier is greatly appreciated!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    --Jesse
    2001 SV650s

Re: Bike transport question...

I've seen this for bicycles before, but not for a motorcycle. The problem I'd see with this is how often you accelerate and brake in the car, causing a large amount of forces trying to tip the motorcycle over. There just doesn't seem to be a good way to anchor the bike down to keep it from moving around compared to a traditional trailor where the bike is facing the same direction as the tow vehicle.

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by SCRLT01 View Post
    I drive a 2012 Subaru Forester with the "standard" tow package installed, if that matters...

Any applicable comments/suggestions/opinions on this carrier is greatly appreciated!!
    pretty sure the Forester has a max tongue weight of 200-250lbs., so unless your SV is made of titanium & carbon fiber and under 250lbs

how often do you go to the track/ average # of times you tow per year? with no storage space for a trailer if your only talking 3-4 tows per year maybe U-haul is the best answer

High maintenance priss

My buddy @ work has one of these and says its a PITA for motorcycles for exactly the reasons rsw81 mentioned.

I wasn't sold on them until Kitt let me borrow his. Damn thing works out awesome. I have a cap on my Tundra so it was either pull a trailer or not ride. The hitch hauler was easy to load and a lot more stable than I expected. I found a Boss one ( http://www.bosstruckaccessories.com/...lecarrier.html ) used on Craigslist and now use it about once a week to haul dirty bikes and absolutely love the convenience. I bet it would be a lot of weight for your Forester though.

As far as the bike rocking in the direction of travel, I've never had an issue. Strap the bike down properly to the carrier and it's quite stable. Some carriers fit tighter in the receiver than others though and that's where I've seen motion occurring. The Boss one has a system that tightens up that connection and I haven't had an issue despite dirt roads and logging trails.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Wow - thanks for the feedback! I didn't even think about the tongue weight, or how it would impact what I was trying to do (it's supposed to be a class II tower....). So would something like this make more sense?

Bike transport question...-4ecc87ea1041b_233028n-jpg

http://www.righttoolusa.com/p/The-Us...e-3285234.html

--Jesse
    2001 SV650s

Honestly I'd suggest borrowing or buying a trailer.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Wow - thanks for the feedback! I didn't even think about the tongue weight, or how it would impact what I was trying to do (it's supposed to be a class II tower....). So would something like this make more sense?

NO

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

That would scare the crap out of me, not to mention all the flat highway miles you're putting on the rear tire. I agree with csmutty - borrow or rent a trailer. You can rent one from UHaul for $14.95 a day.

I know you say you have no space for a conventional trailer, but there are folding ones as well if you have a 5' x 2' space to store it. Would take up about the same amount of space as a bike. As an example: http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb...els-90154.html

Last edited by Evadd; 08-07-12 at 10:17 AM.

I have a small trailer that when I'm not using it I stand it up against the side of my garage. Alone the trailer weighs about 120lbs and I've taken it from VT to MA multiple times. Takes an 1-7/8" ball. I'm coming to Boston tomorrow early evening, I don't need it anymore. If you want I'll sell it for the price of that hitch thing shipped ($115). We could meet somewhere around where 93 and 495 meet. PM me asap if interested.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track

There is always the venerable HF trailer. Cheap and light weight, perfect for a single bike and maybe a cooler.

the position you're in sucks...it's going to cost you money: trailer in a bag for ~$1,200

for towing

for storage

disassmble into these parts, put into a bag, and leave in your closet:

otherwise, borrow a trailer or rent one