Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bike in back of truck and F150, 1500 Owners

Hey Guys,

I need to transport my bike from Manch, NH to Portsmouth and my buddy has offered to let me use his Sierra 1500. This will be my first time putting a bike in the back of a truck so please don't bash me too hard if I say something ludicrous.

So I have 2 straps which I plan to secure to the front handlebars/support brackets. Do I need to secure the rear, is it absolutely necessary? Would using my rear wheel stand be of any help since I know it makes the bike pretty sturdy on the pavement (this is where the, take it easy on me might come into play)?

Lastely, if you own a 1500 or 150, I bought a Ramp kit and I was hoping maybe someone could measure loading height with the tailgate lowered so I can cut cut the boards to length. I just need an aprox height.. I looked on the internet and ~31" seems to be the loading height???

Thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Bike in back of truck and F150, 1500 Owners

Originally posted by TurboRush91
    Hey Guys,

Lastely, if you own a 1500 or 150, I bought a Ramp kit and I was hoping maybe someone could measure loading height with the tailgate lowered so I can cut cut the boards to length. I just need an aprox height.. I looked on the internet and ~31" seems to be the loading height???

Thanks in advance.
    the longer the better in my opinion, but you'll need something to stand on as a step between the ground and the tailgate (in my case, i can't hold the bars, guide the bike and step up into the bed at the same time). I use my motocross stand as a step. You gonna do it under power slipping the clutch?

I ALWAYS use 4 straps when I put my bike in my truck. Bike=11k straps=4 dollars. Pretty cheap insurance. Dont use you rearstand, it wont do any good. Two straps in the front and two in the rear. I once put in my dirtbike with 2 straps and went over a huge bump and 1 of the straps let go, bike bounced hard in the bed and dented the tank. So from that point I have always used 4 straps.

Dave

Originally posted by dave72370
    I ALWAYS use 4 straps when I put my bike in my truck. Bike=11k straps=4 dollars. Pretty cheap insurance. Dont use you rearstand, it wont do any good. Two straps in the front and two in the rear. I once put in my dirtbike with 2 straps and went over a huge bump and 1 of the straps let go, bike bounced hard in the bed and dented the tank. So from that point I have always used 4 straps.

Dave
    Point taken.. I'll go buy some more straps.

I'll have a helping hand, so I was hoping if the angle isn't too steep (mostly dependent on how long I make the ramps) that we could push it up... too many America's Funniest Home videos of people slamming into the rear of a bed with a bike have taught me I don't want to do it that way if at all possible...

Originally posted by dave72370

Dave

$4 tie down straps no wonder they let go

get the heavy duty straps that cost $6

if one of the front straps lets go, it's unlikey the 2 in the rear will keep it up

edit, almost forgot what I was going to post

unless you have a nekid bike, get a canyon dancer so you can tie the front down without damaging the farings

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Streetbike I put the front tire in corner of the bed

If I can I use a truck like strap over the rear tire so I can winch it down

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

I use 3 straps, one from each side of the lower tripple tree to the tie downs on the floor, you may need to use a canyon dancer to get from the bars to the trucks tie downs. The I use one through the rear tire just to keep it from bouncing. The third isn't 100% needed 2 would be fine if you drive carefully, it's just keeps the rear end from bouncing. And you can do alot better for a ramp if this is the only time your going to need it, a plank works as well and most ramps, and a hill will make things even easier.

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

I customized a sweet three bike carrier for the back of the truck. I usually drive the frikin bike right up the ramp hit one of the holders for the front tire, slap a few tie downs and wallah.

Those canyon dancers fuck up your grips but if you gotta use em you gotta use em.

Good luck.

KB

Last edited by KB; 04-18-06 at 04:15 PM.
    LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

more times than not I've only used 2 tie downs... either from the lower triple or canyon dancers.

As for the ramp... you're really better off with some folding ramps that have an arch. If you have to go with a board, then the longer the better to prevent bottoming out.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

This is turning into one big cluster fuck. I am about ready to just find someone and pay them.. SOB...

anybody with a truck and ramps or whatever in NH that wants some beers and some $$ for their efforts?

Three straps. Just like BBHZX12/10? Whos ever the fuck he is now!
    The third over, through, wrapped around the rear tire to keep the rear tire from bouncing or sliding around.

I have an F150 with a 6 1/2 ' bed and I can close the tailgate with 1/8" to spare, anything spaller and you will have to leave the tailgate down, or Cady corner the bike and use 4 straps.

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

If you put a strap threw the rear wheel mach sure you use a rag or some thing so the strap wont rub on the rim.

no regrets!!! life is just too short

01 YZ426 motard (sold)
    99 YZ250 (sold)
    klx 110

Originally posted by rmbbikes
    Those canyon dancers fuck up your grips but if you gotta use em you gotta use em.

Good luck.

KB

keith, cut a couple pieces of pvc drainpipe (1.5") slid them over your grips to protect them before putting the canyon dancer on

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Always use 4 tie downs, more so if 1 fails you'll have time to pull over a correct the problem. If you only have 2 or 3, your bike will be on it's side if one of them fails.
    The rear wheel offers zero support as well so don't waist your time tieing that down, you want to either hook to the passenger pegs or the rider pegs if your passenger pegs are not on the bike

As for ramps, I just have a set of planks with some home depot ramp ends bolted to them. For loading it, I start the bike and put it in gear and walk it up the ramps at idle. If I know there is a clearance issue, I'll have a friend pick up the end of the ramp as soon as the front wheel clears the tailgate

Yamaha

Originally posted by TurboRush91
    This is turning into one big cluster fuck. I am about ready to just find someone and pay them.. SOB...

anybody with a truck and ramps or whatever in NH that wants some beers and some $$ for their efforts?
    Relax & breathe....loading a bike is not that hard at all, you just need to make sure you have at least 2 working straps, you load the bike into the back safely and that you secure the bike properly.

Here's a brain dump of thing's to look out for:

Loading the bike - 3 choices, push it up with a rolling start, get a helper to push tail as you guide bike, or as others mentioned you can power it up. And then there's riding it up the ramp

If you bring the bike up under it's own power, be careful to do it gently, there is a chance if you apply throttle or clutch incorrectly, or you have an issue with the ramp that it can break traction, spin the wheel, and move the ramp such that it shoots out. Then you are in a sticky situation! This can work fine, but just be advised of the risks, guys at dealerships do this all day though without issues, your results may vary, etc.

Choosing straps - Frankly I think that even the most basic straps rated for >500 lbs each will be sufficient for a short ride like you are describing, but understand that cheap straps are not going to last, and that they do not have the same load rating as good straps. I've never owned a really good set of straps so I am pretty much speaking out of my rear here. I can say this however, if you use straps which are used, make sure the strap catch is moving freely and is not seized, i.e. sat outside and got corrosion. This will cause the webbing to become able to move because the catch isn't engaging fully. Also cheap straps will stretch becuase the webbing isn't as finely woven and the integrity of the straps goes down the tubes after several hours of holding the bike under load while driving the truck.

Securing the bike - Make sure the bike is centered if possible between the tie down points. The lower the points, the better. Make a loop with the strap ends such that the eye of the hook is used to feed the webbing through, making a slip loop. Be careful to orient the throttle side so that the strap is not winding open the throttle on you (strap is high over grip vs. low under grip I think). You need to gently snug each side down, progressively until the forks are quite compressed. Make sure the front wheel is straight and pointing 90 degrees into the bed of the truck, not at an angle. If there is a bedliner in the truck be careful to get the tire into a groove of the liner. With the two tie downs in the front secured, you can use 2 more to do the rear pegs, etc. I would call this somewhat optional in my opinion, I'll do it every time if I have the straps, but 2 straps would be fine for such a short ride. What I'd rather do with 4 straps to be honest is loop them over the front as fail-overs because if the front straps fail, the bike is going over no matter how many straps you have holding the rear down. I hold the rear only to keep the back tire from walking sideways so I can drive a good 85 with bike in back

Other than that, make sure not to let the straps blow around, you can do a quick loop-over knot so that the extra webbing is cinched snugly against the buckle, such that if the buckle was to slip, it would drive into the knotted webbing vs. just slip away.

One last thing, if you load bike alone - in my Tacoma I get a strong wobble of the tires if I cause too much noise laterally when loading the bike up alone, but I am also kneeling down on the bed then standing up which makes the ruckus. It's not a good feeling when you are sufring with the bike in the back of the truck like that....!

Hope this helps, just take it easy, get some straps and go through the motions, you will be fine. Slow & steady wins the race.

PS: Cut the board 7-8 feet in length and find a driveway or other small hill to offset the height of the truck bed, it makes the loading easier.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Now, what you really need is a bridge crane... with an electric hoist (and proper festoon system). Just lift the fucker up with some 2-inch twisted eye and eye slings and set it down in the bed. You have a bridge crane, right? No shop should be without one. If not, a jib crane would probably work in a pinch, but you don't get to say "festoon!" which is what this is really all about.
    Wait, wait.. what you really need is an asymetrical bridle sling and a gantry crane....

Just roll it up the ramps under power in 1st, strap it down and be on your way. Get a buddy (or two), go slow and you'll be fine. It seems like a really hairy procedure, but it's not so bad if you take your time, think things through and save the booze and pot-weed for AFTER it's unloaded

Last edited by Tricky Mike; 04-19-06 at 10:50 PM.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but don't tie down on the throttle. It'll cause a stuck throttle from pulling the grip down off the slide.

I got a pair of ratchet tie downs from walmart and they work just fine.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Originally posted by SWEET_Z
    Not sure if anyone mentioned it but don't tie down on the throttle. It'll cause a stuck throttle from pulling the grip down off the slide.

+1 actually on my SV I can hook the triple clamps if not using a canyon dancer.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Originally posted by SWEET_Z

use pieces of pvc pipe as spacers to protect the grips

Originally posted by rmbbikes

Good luck.

KB
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

keith, cut a couple pieces of pvc drainpipe (1.5") slid them over your grips to protect them before putting the canyon dancer on

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Thanks for the info guys. Today's such a nice day I might just ride it back..

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by trickphoto
    Now, what you really need is a bridge crane... with an electric hoist (and proper festoon system). Just lift the fucker up with some 2-inch twisted eye and eye slings and set it down in the bed. You have a bridge crane, right? No shop should be without one. If not, a jib crane would probably work in a pinch, but you don't get to say "festoon!" which is what this is really all about.
    Wait, wait.. what you really need is an asymetrical bridle sling and a gantry crane....
    Pfft, bridge crane, all you need is a run of the mill household skidsteer loader

That shit ain't got any festoons, man. What about the frickin festoons?
    Actually, that's pretty awesome.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

or you can just lift the bike into the bed. i've done it several time s with help obviously. you need about 4 people.

hmmmm......

Originally posted by black
    or you can just lift the bike into the bed. i've done it several time s with help obviously. you need about 4 people.
    After last TDR track day there was this guy on a chromed out but kind of beat F4i who was doing stoppies in front of the garage, really obnoxiously, like "I will laugh so hard when this guy bins it" obnoxiously. He asked for a hand loading his bike into the back of his truck, so we say sure and we say where's the ramp, and he says grab a fork tube. He probably could have hoisted it with one other guy, he was a giant meatball, but actually a pretty nice kid once you talked to him, just sort of like an overgrown 10 year old.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Originally posted by ancosta
    he was a giant meatball, but actually a pretty nice kid once you talked to him, just sort of like an overgrown 10 year old.
    Sounds like half the people on this site!!! Are you being racist? Say that to my face and see what happens

Yamaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast