Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

biker hits deer

biker hits deer

last friday nite a biker hit a deer in a section of road that is familiar to most of us, coinsidentially he is a client of mine

http://www.fosters.com/news2001e/nov...4/lac1005f.htm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

biker hits deer

Holy fuck!!! I was stuck in traffic 'cuz of that on my way home Friday!!!

Wow, I had no idea! Man, I hope he heals quickly!!!

BTW-JJ Goodwin's Eatery is "The Pub". Many of you have been there.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

biker hits deer

"authorities believe Wood was not wearing a helmet..."
    And you know damn well that if he was wearing one it NEVER woulda been mentioned. That fuckin' pisses me off!!!

biker hits deer

ya, news media can piss me off too..... especially when they misquote me.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

biker hits deer

... but my thought would be that it wouldn't have hurt to have it on. Just my 2 cents... where one or don't... just my thought...

of course all of us here know the advantages of wearing gear, the news media however insinuates by there selective reporting that not wearing a helmet is what caused the collision in the first place.

Knowing Bob however, I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't even own a helmet.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

biker hits deer

Perhaps that fact was relevant to his injuries, or the severity of them. Who's to say... but my thought would be that it wouldn't have hurt to have it on. Just my 2 cents... where one or don't... just my thought...

Vic
    My point was simply the fact that the media will only mention whether he was wearing a helmet (or seatbelt for that matter) if the person ISN'T wearing one. It generally has nothing to do with the extent or severity of his injuries. If he was wearing one, it never woulda been mentioned. Again, the same goes for seatbelts....

This seems to be a bit more prevalent with the more liberally-biased news media...

biker hits deer

Around here, deer car accident are very common, two a night every night during the fall in the county I live. Motorcycle deer accidents are far less common. I have hit 10 deer in the last 11 years...with my truck.. Thats a lot of deer!! I have had several close call with deeron my bike, all of which were dumb luck that we did not collide.... Of the riders around here who have been hurt or killed all were going the speed limit or close to it, The last guy who died out here was on a gold wing, the guy before him on a Harley. The Harley guy broke his back.. I have come to a couple of conclusions about deer.. You don't have to be doing over 50mph to get killed by one, and there is nothing but dumb luck involved if you miss one, I have yet to here of a sport bike getting tangled up with one,,, The Harley guys claim loud pipes help. but so far they make up for most of the accidents.. I don't ride at night around here, I think in the last few years I have not put more than 100 miles on my bike at night.. Safer to go 150 mph in the day light than 50 mph around here in fall at night..

biker hits deer

It's a friggin' riot when people come up to my place for the first time and question the validity of the "Deer Crossing Next 2 Miles" and the "Brake For Moose" signs. And don't forget the "Cattle Crossing" and "Horse Crossing" signs. I can assure you all that those are there for a reason!!! I see deer on a daily basis (except of course, during hunting season), and I can go find me a moose just about any time...

I generally use the "1 Hour" theory when riding or driving at night: I use extra caution when driving or riding for one hour before & after dusk and dawn. That's generally when big game is on the move looking for food, water, bedding and trim...

Cages are a lot more dangerous than game is. Luckily for us, game can't reason nor is it vengeful. Deer don't understand what cars or roads are, so they'll occasionally wander into/over/across one. And yes, they DO freeze if caught in your headlight beam ONLY if they look right at it. And that's caused mostly by blindess, not fear. If game can't determine where to run to when spooked, they'll freeze up instead...

That's my two cents. Got my change?

biker hits deer

(except of course, during hunting season

Isn't that always the case

I agree with your observations, deer are fairly predictable in their roaming habits, except of course during hunting season when they are getting shot at,

normally they act on instinct and usually don't hang out much in roads, sure, they forage along the edges & medians (especially in PA, I think they plant alfalfa to attract them) lick the salt from the pavement sometimes too, and in winter provide easier walking than deep snow, but other than that roadways don't provide many things they need...... cagers on the other hand, well, I don't think I have to go there.

RandyO
    IBA#9560