Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bikes you couldnt wait to get rid of?

Bikes you couldnt wait to get rid of?

So reading the responses to my other thread, 'Bikes you regret selling?' got me thinking about the bikes that I hated, hated me, or just needed to go...

2007 MV Agusta Brutale 910R.....this bike was sexy as hell. It was VERY powerful, exotic, and just looked incredible. I owned it for 4 months and 300 miles. From the very first ride I could not jive with it at all. I tried in vain to make myself like it, spent over a grand trying to change it so Id like it, to no avail. New tires, lower Ducati Monster handelbars, adjusted suspension, rearsets, steering damper and carbon bits. It just never felt right at all. After about 275 miles I decided I hated it and went to trade it in. I bought the bike sight unseen from South Carolina and had it shipped up. I was unhappy with cosmetics as soon as I laid my eyes on it. Spent lots of time cleaning it up. I even had a small loan on it to boot.....which caused me to sell another bike to pay off this piece of shit Brutale. I sold my RC51, which I had for 6 years, to make the payoff. Pissed the Brutale sucked, pissed I sold the RC51 to keep the Brutale. The only good thing to come out of it was that the next bike was the best Ive ever owned....2012 Ducati 848 Corse.

What bikes were you glad to see go?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Bikes you couldnt wait to get rid of?

None of them. Wish I had the space and resources to just keep adding them.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

I also had another 2005 MV Agusta F4 1000S, not the same as the one I posted in the 'regret' thread, this one was a bi-posto. I bought it used with 900 miles on it and it was a rat. Hated that bike. Had it for about 200 miles. Bought it for $13,500, sold it a few months later for $14,100.....

My 2012 Aprilia RSV4. I loved the bike, when it worked, it was awesome. Very easy on the eyes to look at, and that v4 sound/feel that always made my pants/leathers tight.
    I'm not loyal to the Italians tho, and couldn't get over the non stop issues. I wanted to ride, the bike wanted to stay with all the other italians hanging out in the service department.

Yamaha

2008 RMZ 450

I owned it for a few months and unfortunately dumped a bunch of money into it on suspension. Great bike if your goal is to develop a right leg twice as big as your left one from kicking it over. It wasn't just at the start of the ride, either, because I'd stall it at least once per session, it seemed, either from crashing or just messing up entering corners. Then it would be even harder to start, with the bike hot and me already out of breath from riding. Swore my ass off with that POS. Never jibed with the bike at all. Never again, as far as four stroke dirt bikes without electric start for me...and no need for a 450 anyway. Four stroke dirt bikes fail the cost benefit analysis too, IMO, Especially when it comes to rebuilding them.

Opinions differ, to each his own...for me, 250 two stroke dirt bikes FTW!!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ducati Hypermotard SP 939

Seat was terrible. Race seat a little better but too hard. My Harley transmission is smoother than this bikes. Seriously, it would hurt my toe by the end of the day. Suspension was really harsh. Motor on my 2000 996 made this 939 feel like it was really a 696. Also the fueling was wonky. Choked down by emissions I would guess. For the money it should have been perfect from the factory and not needing another couple thou to get it happy. Traded it after a few months for the Tuono 1100 Factory. BEST decision I have made in a long time. The complete opposite of the Hyper except for its capacity for hooning.

Send cash... I need a track day

My '95 Ducati 900SS. That thing was fucking cursed. Snapped a throttle cable on I295 in Maine, thought I'd die. Had a rear tire blow out on I295 in Maine, thought I'd absolutely die. Also went through one carb, two ignition coils (the same coil twice), one headlight connector and a bunch of other little shit.

Good riddance.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

note to self: never buy an italian bike

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    2008 RMZ 450

I owned it for a few months and unfortunately dumped a bunch of money into it on suspension. Great bike if your goal is to develop a right leg twice as big as your left one from kicking it over. It wasn't just at the start of the ride, either, because I'd stall it at least once per session, it seemed, either from crashing or just messing up entering corners. Then it would be even harder to start, with the bike hot and me already out of breath from riding. Swore my ass off with that POS. Never jibed with the bike at all. Never again, as far as four stroke dirt bikes without electric start for me...and no need for a 450 anyway. Four stroke dirt bikes fail the cost benefit analysis too, IMO, Especially when it comes to rebuilding them.

Opinions differ, to each his own...for me, 250 two stroke dirt bikes FTW!!!
    I have a '15rmz450 and they're still a bear to kick over. Thought you'd like to know I'm still taking one for the team.

Worst bike ever for me was a '07 1098. I've had good Ducatis and bad Ducatis - that was the worst. Clutch pack every 50 miles, melted bodywork, headlights/blinkers/dash would turn off randomly, bike would get hot af and to boot - when it would work right, I'd get pulled over. Hated that thing.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Always wanted an RSV1000 and every time I ride it, the love affair I have for that bike goes out the window. It is a miserable machine to ride.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

I may be able o help with a Hawk or two.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Never anything hated, but I ended up with a 1979 BMW R65 that I wasn't sorry to see go. I bought it for my ex, and since I paid for it, I still had it when we broke up. It just didn't do anything very well, and at only 80K miles it was starting to get expensive to keep on the road. I had an appointment to see a guy who wanted to buy it, and on the way there, a guy pulled out in front of me from a business driveway. Its front wheel tucked right into the guy's front wheel well, and I flipped over the handlebars and flat on my back onto his hood. That was startling. Cancelled the appointment, took his insurance payment, scrapped the bike.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 10-25-16 at 11:27 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I hated my 08 1098. Hot uncomfortable and handled like shit if you weren't pushing things. I put 600 miles on it then sold it. Fuck that bike.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Early 90's Katrina 600. What a fucking turd that bike was.

Never hated a bike, just had some wrong bikes at the wrong times. The bike that always gave me headaches was my RF900R. I just didn't ride it enough to keep it running right.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

I traded another bike for a speed triple earlier this year, just because the opportunity presented itself. Bikes come and go, I wasn't overly attached to the one I traded away, and I'd never owned a true hooligan/streetfighter bike. I'd never even ridden one. When I rode it the first real time (not counting a quick test ride), the handling seemed weird and the suspension felt harsh. The gearbox seeme cavemannish and there's no luggage or wind protection, obviously. The power, on the other hand, was off the charts compared to anything I've owned. Overall, I was pretty much "meh" and told myself it was fun for a quick rip but I'd dump it in the spring. I always try to dump bikes in the spring, if I'm gonna dump one.

Then I rode it again...and again, and again, and when I'd have time to ride, I kept choosing it over the other bikes I have. Every time, the refrain of "no fucking WAY I'm getting rid of this thing, it's way too much fun!" kept getting louder in my head. I changed my mind. That thing ain't going anywhere, at least till I change my mind again.

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    I have a '15rmz450 and they're still a bear to kick over. Thought you'd like to know I'm still taking one for the team.
    So I take it they still don't have electric start?

My '08 had damn good handling and suspension after I had it resprung and revalved. If it had electric start, I'd have probably kept the thing. Of course, I was doing strictly dirt riding with it, hence all the crashing and stalling. Mine started good enough when it was cold; it was the mid-ride hot stuff that had me swearing my head off and wanting to ghost ride it off a cliff.

Last edited by Imbeek; 10-25-16 at 03:53 PM.

Lifer

2001 Bandit 1200. Kinda. Owned it for a decade and was not at all sorry to see it go. Burned more oil than I thought it should from day 1. (Common issue on that era Bandit.) Dealer took the bike and claimed they did the recall with new pistons. To this day I'm convinced they did nothing at all to the bike. Rode it a couple days before the kid came to get it and it was mint. Two days later the battery was shot and carbs were pouring fuel everywhere.

"Would you take $XXXX for it right now."
    "Yes. Yes I believe I would."