Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

GS Curious

GS Curious

Would like to try out a couple BMW GS 1200/1250's. Standard and Adventure versions.

What years should I avoid, and what should I shoot for?

Ideal bike has hard luggage, adj windscreen, cruise control, center stand.

Beyond that, I'm wide open to considerations, but I'd like to try riding them first. Rode a GSA1150 back in the day for about 10 miles, thought it was good.

2009 or so Hexheads seem to be going pretty cheap in non-ADV models, but no cruise until 2014. 2017+ seems to be widely regarded as the best generation, with 2018+ having the new TFT color display.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; Today at 09:24 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Re: GS Curious

I've sat on a couple. Very short seat height, if that's what you're looking for. I like the tall height of KTM adventure bikes, but depending on what you're using it for, the BMW could be great.

Can't comment too much on the GS. I test rode one from Eurosport Asheville when my 1290 was in for fork seals and it was...kinda boring really. And I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

All I'll say is go test out a 2015-2017 1290 Super Adventure T (the OG). Used prices have on them have fallen through the floor, you can pick one up for probably $7k with 20k miles on them. They have everything you want and that LC8 is absolutely phenomenal. Very easy to work on, pretty reliable, and very comfy on high speed pavement (with the PowerParts seat).

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I'm doing a ton of highway commuting (4 hours a day) lately, so having something with shaft drive and good wind protection is paramount.

And the whole point of this thread is to try one out. If it's too boring, I'd want to know that before I threw down some mild-effort earned money.

Last edited by TheIglu; Today at 07:45 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I'm doing a ton of highway commuting (4 hours a day) lately, so having something with shaft drive and good wind protection is paramount.

And the whole point of this thread is to try one out. If it's too boring, I'd want to know that before I threw down some mild-effort earned money.
    Should be good for that.

shaft failures are real, happened to a close friend. not sure if particular years are more prone

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON