Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is the FZ1 a good bike?

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Is the FZ1 a good bike?

Since 2015, I've owned (and sold) a Bandit 1200, a Ninja 1000, and a ZRX1200. I think maybe I need an FZ1 to complete the cycle.

Does that make sense?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    And don't believe everything you think.

Re: Is the FZ1 a good bike?

First gen was carbed and a better sport-tourer as it’s a bit more upright. Second gen got EFI, USD forks, and more aggressive ergos. Both have power-up mods readily available from some Ivan guy.
    Pricing for them seems to still be really high, was kinda looking for one for a friend.

Thanks. I'd be looking for a Gen 1, I'm OK with carbs, the ZRX I had came Ivan jet-kitted. There are quite a few of them posted FS, just watching for now.

R1 motor (detuned) in a comfy package? Sign me up.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    R1 motor (detuned) in a comfy package? Sign me up.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/why-origi...-so-damn-good/

I owned a Gen 2 and thought it was great. Given your moto history, I'm not sure you could go wrong with an FZ1 in either gen.

I’ve jonesed over a 2nd Gen limited edition white/red or the anniversary Gen 1 with the Kenny black/yellow combo.

I can’t see them being bad bikes. They are a gentleman’s R1. I’d just be curious about their seat height though.

I bought the first one my dealer got in 01. Great all round bike, comfy and plenty of power. I did upgrade the bars to
    strait dirt inspired ones. Lack of wind protection at high speed but its mostly naked... Love to have one as a second bike now first or second gen.
    I've seen 1st gens under three grand before shit went crazy.

Seat height, always a consideration. From what I see on line for specs:
    Bandit 1200 31.1"
    Ninja 1000 32.3"
    ZRX1200 31.1"
    FZ1 32.4"
    So a little taller, but I'd say doable for me. And I do have a pair of those German made Daytona brand boots with extra lift.

Prices seem to be all over the place these days, not consistently stratospheric, but still higher than antediluvian prices.

I like the half fairing bikes, and I liked a lot about the Bandit 1200, and the prices are pretty low. Nimble is not an attribute that comes to mind, though, and a lot heavier than the others. And a loooong reach to the bars, for me, anyway.

As to high speed, I probably keep it under 80.

Both the Gen1 and Gen2 machines are excellent. I owned a 2003 Bee that I jetted and piped and also owned a 2008 Anthracite.

The Gen1 bikes had full adjustable suspension front and rear whereas the Gen2 offered something like comp damping in one fork leg and a dunce of a shock with adjustable preload only.

The 2008 had noticeably shorter range due to what I believe was a slightly smaller fuel tank coupled with a slightly thirstier engine.

The 2008 felt sharper for the most part until corner speeds increased to the limitations of the suspension....which didn't seem terribly difficult to approach.

Overall I feel the better bike was the Gen1 however both are very good and I wouldn't scoff at either version.

Slap a Corbin or Sargent on either one and enjoy the ride!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Great, thanks. I'm definitely leaning toward a Gen 1. I've got a CD maturing in a couple of weeks: buy another bike, or save up for my old age. Hmmm ...

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    Great, thanks. I'm definitely leaning toward a Gen 1. I've got a CD maturing in a couple of weeks: buy another bike, or save up for my old age. Hmmm ...
    Get the bike

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

If u do pick up one id love to hear the comparison between it and the ZRX. I would imagine the FZ feels faster and much lighter, but I wonder if the seat is a little pitched forward compared to the ZRX or anything else that would chalk up to a pro for the heavy ZRX.

Your park avenue leads to..

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    I had around 45,000 miles on my Bee prior to excavating T9 at VIR with it. Still miss it dearly after all these years.

They are fairly stout all around and there's nothing to really highlight for weak points but I'd certainly keep in mind the transmission as many riders would lunch 2nd as a result of lazy shifting and nothing more.

^^ Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    ... prior to excavating T9 at VIR with it. ...
    I used to race AAMRR events at the old VIR, we called it Danville, the surface was pretty bad, like a New England road in spring. Danville was the first AAMRR event of the year in early April, after AMA Daytona in March. Anyway, that's me in 1967, #16 pushing off at the start of a race, Yamaha TD1B 250 production racer (twin cyl piston port 2T, 5-speed), orange bike (painted it '65 Mustang Poppy Red).

... and in March 1967

Last edited by whynot; 04-08-23 at 08:16 AM.

Lifer

The FZ1 is a great all around sports bike. The First gen is definitely slightly more touring friendly. Both benefit heavily from Ivan's tuning - just check the website. The 2006 had snatchy throttle which was improved on newer models. The engine is a retuned FZ1 engine so makes a lot of power up top but not as much down low - still it is a liter bike so not lacking down low in general unless compared head to head with other big engine bikes. The zrx1200 has a bunch more torque down low and same for the Bandit, but the FZ1 is much sportier in the handling and braking department. There is a big difference in range between gen 1 and gen 2, something like 50 miles. For $4k you used to be able to pick up a nicely setup FZ1. They are dead reliable as well. Can't go wrong as long as you are expecting a comfortable upright sports bike and not a touring bike (though you can tour just fine on it).

On a separate topic, the FJ-09 has a much more usable engine, is lighter, and overall slightly more comfortable. The prices are starting to go down on those. I picked one up and am enjoying it as my daily commuter/fun bike

Last edited by dankatz; 04-08-23 at 08:25 AM.
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=6ojiHh

If you ever want to ride an FJ I’d be happy to go for a ride and bike swap with mine

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post

If you ever want to ride an FJ I’d be happy to go for a ride and bike swap with mine
    Great, thanks for the offer.

The FZ1 you linked ($2500) appears to be the same one he listed a year ago ($4500). Probably legit, but something to question:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/4895...67189976771777

I've lusted for on when my SV1000 was stolen. never ended up getting one :-(
    For a time 2nd gens were "almost"cheap but those days are long gone. 1st gen nver did anything for me, but i was fearful of dealing with carbs. as i'm mechanically useless.

rides bikes

It's going to be the least exciting to ride of the bikes you've listed, but still a great bike

I’ve jonesed over ... the anniversary Gen 1 with the Kenny black/yellow combo.
    Like this?

https://ithaca.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...608743374.html

Lifer

For $2500 the bike looks clean and beautiful - good deal!
    I wonder if it sat and the carb needs tinkering - would explain the dramatic change in price

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

My head is spinning with all the choices. Just looking at Gen 1, in addition to the ones already linked, here's a couple more in the area--

on the Cape, price includes all the gear and many extras (have been messaging with the seller)
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0139931526663/

in RI, looks clean
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9948787765853/

Think I'll take my time and curb my enthusiasm for immediate gratification ... meanwhile, I'm learning a lot about FZ1s, thanks to the collective NESR moto-brain.

Last edited by whynot; 04-12-23 at 07:06 AM.

The one on the Cape is nice but the price is kinda up there regardless of the gear included.

Officially, the 2003 black and yellow color combo was not considered a Kenny Roberts special or anything of the sort. It was merely a color scheme offered by Yamaha for the 2003 FZ1

I still have my Clymer service manual for the 2001-2005 FZ1 so if you need any info from that, just say the word!

With all this FZ1 talk, may have to jump back in!

Last edited by butcher bergs; 04-12-23 at 08:49 AM.

Thanks for the Clymer offer.

The '01 on the Cape is set up with D&D and Ivan's jetting, Fren tubo brake lines, Sargent, and comes with at SS1000r shock not installed (is that good?) and all that gear. I guess for whatever reason he's getting out of riding. Thinking of asking his price for just the bike. But I don't like the chopped rear fender on this and most of the ones posted FS. The yellow/black in Ithaca looks all stock and minty, but 330 miles away.

Go ahead and jump back in, I'm not homing in on any of them at the moment. Thinking I'll keep looking and see how I feel later in the year and what's available.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast