Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

So cal bike rentals and where to ride.

So cal bike rentals and where to ride.

Long time lurker first time poster...I think.

I'm going to be in southern California (orange county) at the end of the month and I'm looking for bike rental recommendations. I found a website ride-share that looks promising. Has anyone heard of/used this before? Or should I find a conventional bike rental place? I'm also torn on what to rent. Dunno if I should take the old guy approach and get a touring bike. Or say fuck it to my inevitable shoulder pain that will follow a day on a panigale.

Also looking for route recommendations. I'll only have about a day to explore so hoping to find something worthwhile. Also scenic car road recommendations would be cool too since I'm renting a m4 vert while there.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Re: So cal bike rentals and where to ride.

I’ve used rider-share; the issue I had was mileage limits and the cost of insurance higher than the rental.

What do you wanna ride?

Aside from Ortega/commuter highway, Budget 1-2 hours from OC for better stuff.

What do ya wanna ride? Mad twisties? Scenic Mountains/elevtation? Coastal? Desert touring? Off road? Sight seeing? Some ish might be snowed in

If I think about it with my teenage mentality I say mad twisties with clip ons and rear sets. But old man me says FJR and coastal sight seeing.

It wasn't a trip I was planning. But my gram is on hospice and id like to see her one last time. But I'm also going to be a little selfish and drown my sorrows on a borrowed bike. So IDK really.

Riders Share and Twisted Roadsre the two main P2P ones
    Ari from Revzilla/youtube is in LA and rents his Versys 650 on one of them.
    Breakdirt and OneCheek currently live out there and can probably suggest routes.
    Sorry to hear about Gram

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    .......Also scenic car road recommendations would be cool too since I'm renting a m4 vert while there.
    very nice

I rented an MT-07 from Eaglerider in Hawthorne a couple years ago when I was there for work. Did a couple epic riding days with breakdirt916 (thanks again!) and it was a good experience. Bike was well maintained with good tires.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

What are your time and/or mileage constraints? Are you comfortable lane splitting? Consider these factors when choosing a bike. Depending on pace and how much stopping you do for breaks/pics you can potentially knock out a lot of the local roads around OC - even in one day if you're ambitious enough - it's surprisingly not that much mileage although my definition of mileage could very well differ from yours.

The most simple thing to suggest would be to simply ride/drive Malibu -- it's close, very scenic, fun, and has some sight seeing opportunities with plenty of food options. I can also suggest some 'local' 400 mile routes. There's really a lot of opportunity out here so once you get a better idea of what you're looking to do, we can probably better tailor a ride. If it's on a weekend, I'd happily lead a ride as well but you must lane split comfortably, I just can't do traffic.

Same routes I do on the bike are what I'd suggest for a car. I personally don't enjoy taking a car in the canyons though and especially despise sitting in traffic.

I wish I could remember the place we rented a motorcycle from about 17 years ago. Then again, it's probably not even around anymore. It was around Laguna Beach and they were fuckin' slimy ass mother fuckers. I really wish I could remember (if they're even still around) to advise you NOT to use them.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

I rented a bike from Eagle Rider in San Diego a few years back for a week long tour up and down the Sierras. It was epic. Bike was solid and they didn't give me a hard time about anything even when I passed the bike back with a ton more miles than my contract allowed for.

Last edited by nhbubba; 04-09-24 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I guess I'll ask for better information on routes when I figure out what I'm doing. Planning on renting the bike Sunday 28th until Monday sometime. Onecheekrider maybe I'll try to catch up with you to show me around. But for now I need to hit up breakdirt since we haven't ridden together since dirt bikes at the summer nationals ��

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

I can send you a sign-up discount for both twisted road and rider's share. Not sure how much the discount will be this season, but its worth the click.

rides bikes

I've used Riders Share and like it. You'll get more options than going the traditional route, especially in SoCal. If you can, bring your own helmet and gear; I think most charge extra to use theirs, and it'll inevitably be terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    I can send you a sign-up discount for both twisted road and rider's share. Not sure how much the discount will be this season, but its worth the click.
    Can't hurt to try it. Send it over, please.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    I've used Riders Share and like it. You'll get more options than going the traditional route, especially in SoCal. If you can, bring your own helmet and gear; I think most charge extra to use theirs, and it'll inevitably be terrible.

Yeah I'll definitely bring my own gear. Even the thought of wearing someone else helmet gives me a case of the icks lol. Plus after wearing phantoms for years I couldn't imagine using anything else.