Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

VT loop hole is no longer!

VT loop hole is no longer!

Well most of you likely know but this was sad news for me.

As of 7-23 VT is no longer handing out registrations. Are there any workable options out there? I have a bike I am building this winter as well as a few in the cue without any real paperwork. Kind of kicking myself for not doing the VT thing earlier...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: VT loop hole is no longer!

Quote Originally Posted by klp View Post
    Well most of you likely know but this was sad news for me.

As of 7-23 VT is no longer handing out registrations. Are there any workable options out there? I have a bike I am building this winter as well as a few in the cue without any real paperwork. Kind of kicking myself for not doing the VT thing earlier...
    It’s not dead, it’s just much much more complex and expensive than it was. Make friends with someone that lives in Vt, sell them the bike on paper, they register the bike, they sell it back to you, you go and register it in your home state.

Yamaha

A bunch of guys on Facebook have suggested dirtlegal.com

Lifer

A friend in VT is the way to go.
    Be aware that VT is now cancelling registrations for non residents that have titled vehicles there but don't actually live there. I have a condo in VT but it's not my primary residence so they limited me to a one year reg renewal recently. They told me next renewal cycle may be my last unless I switch my primary to the condo, which I'm not going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    A friend in VT is the way to go.
    Be aware that VT is now cancelling registrations for non residents that have titled vehicles there but don't actually live there. I have a condo in VT but it's not my primary residence so they limited me to a one year reg renewal recently. They told me next renewal cycle may be my last unless I switch my primary to the condo, which I'm not going to do.
    I have relatives, lots of em. I'm a Vermonter transplanted into NH. I figure my brother owes me, in the past I have let him register snowmobiles in New Hampshire in my name to get a resident registration. I've been thinking of registering my UTV under his name in VT, but never had a reason, he's got miles and miles of trails on his growing acreage

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

There is a work around to this already .

You need a VT resident to register the vehicle as Joint Tenants in Common with the VT resident listed 1st on the registration application and out of state resident second .

It’s been tested and works .

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    TIMMYDUCK

The VT form list joint tenants and tenants in common as separate items - does it matter which one? Both?

My bikes are old so no title would be issued. What do I get, a reg with two names or a reg with the vt resident and then sell it to me?

Last edited by klp; 01-21-24 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klp View Post
    The VT form list joint tenants and tenants in common as separate items - does it matter which one? Both?

My bikes are old so no title would be issued. What do I get, a reg with two names or a reg with the vt resident and then sell it to me?
    Registration with two names .

The tenants in common thing is about survivorship and wether it goes into probate or simply reverts to the other owner should one die .

This is the one you want to use .

Joint Tenants (JTEN)
    A joint tenancy is a relationship in which co-owners have a right of survivorship, meaning that if one owner dies, that owner's interest in the property will pass to the surviving owner or owners by law, avoiding probate. The deceased owner's interest in the property simply evaporates and cannot be inherited by their heirs.
    This form of ownership is common between a parent and child, and in any other situation, parties want ownership to pass immediately and automatically to the survivor.

TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    Registration with two names .

The tenants in common thing is about survivorship and wether it goes into probate or simply reverts to the other owner should one die .

This is the one you want to use .

Joint Tenants (JTEN)
    A joint tenancy is a relationship in which co-owners have a right of survivorship, meaning that if one owner dies, that owner's interest in the property will pass to the surviving owner or owners by law, avoiding probate. The deceased owner's interest in the property simply evaporates and cannot be inherited by their heirs.
    This form of ownership is common between a parent and child, and in any other situation, parties want ownership to pass immediately and automatically to the survivor.
    now that you bring this up, this is what my brother did with his snowmobile when he was using my name to register in NH

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I live in Vermont and can help with DMV stuff if anyone needs it. Be aware that Vermont has also done away with the no title registrations for vehicles older than 15 years old.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track

Just curious what liability does the VT person have if they are listed on the registration and you have an accident?

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    Just curious what liability does the VT person have if they are listed on the registration and you have an accident?
    depends how deep the pockets are

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Likewise, if you know someone in NH that is willing to do a little running around, you could "sell" it to them. They title it, register it, then "sell" it back to you. When the title comes in, they send that down to you. Badda bing!

I've done it a handful of times for friends in the past. If they're a good friend, it'll only cost you a 30-pack and the costs of both titles & registrations. A small drop in the bucket if you want it bad enough.

EDIT: I'm not that guy any longer.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Hypertarded

It can be considerable .

The VT resident should protect themselves by having the out of state party pay for the appropriate Insurance coverage until they can re-register in thier home state .

TIMMYDUCK

One would like to think that this shouldn’t be an issue with friends. I know if I was to try this with someone, it would be strictly to use the loophole to get the title, I would not ride the bike until it would be legally transferred into my name.
    By friends, I’m not talking someone that is a “friend” on social media, I’m talking someone you know and trust personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Likewise, if you know someone in NH that is willing to do a little running around, you could "sell" it to them. They title it, register it, then "sell" it back to you. When the title comes in, they send that down to you. Badda bing!

I've done it a handful of times for friends in the past. If they're a good friend, it'll only cost you a 30-pack and the costs of both titles & registrations. A small drop in the bucket if you want it bad enough.

I’ve always been thankful for the help from you when we titled my WR 450, which went smoothly. The only thing I’d suggest is not getting bud light as the 30 pack, picking up 2 30 packs, and staying to help drink one of the 30 packs.

That system worked great for converting an off-road MSO into a road legal title. For me, the Vt loophole was more for their 15 year title law, which seems has changed recently as well.
    I forgot what state, but I saw on an enduro page, there is already another state that is allowing out of state registrations.

Yamaha

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

South Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    A bunch of guys on Facebook have suggested dirtlegal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    South Dakota
    I'm most likely going this route, DirtLegal through South Dakota. I bought a bike from Maine to keep out East and CA will only the transfer title of an out of state vehicle after they do an in-person VIN verification

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I’ve always been thankful for the help from you when we titled my WR 450, which went smoothly. The only thing I’d suggest is not getting bud light as the 30 pack, picking up 2 30 packs, and staying to help drink one of the 30 packs.
    No Mud Light for me. Never liked that stuff, always gives me Bud mud...

It was an easy learning experience doing the WR. Besides a little running around, I was amazed at how little it really took. I did a few after yours, but just decided to play it safe. Although truth be told, there's probably a buddy or two I'd still do it for

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

Just to bring this back I'm being told mass will no longer convert vt registrations to titles. You can still register them but they will not supply you a title so in effect it's useless to anyone but you.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Just to bring this back I'm being told mass will no longer convert vt registrations to titles. You can still register them but they will not supply you a title so in effect it's useless to anyone but you.
    Is that in writing somewhere? It’s unlikely that is legal, NMVTIS recognizes Vermont registration/plate numbers (or any title exempt registrations) as a title number. There’s no converting in this case, your Vt registration is the title.

Yamaha