Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

COTA 24

COTA 24

Day 1 was dedicated to a little rest and fishing off the deck.

Day 2 was for trying out the new fleet of bikes our host brought over from SC.

Battle of the factory bikes as daily rides.

Today in TX was bike swap day. Keys available were the 23 aprilia v4 tuono factory, the 24 Indian FTR 1200 and the 23 tuono 660 factory.

A dream bike line up for sure. But how are they as commuters in traffic, on Highways or around d town? Read on to find out.

The first bike I rode was the v4. I have spent time on an older gen v4. I was expecting a brute, but wow, have they refined this thing. It was the most comfy of the 3 for me. Seat/bar/peg positions were near perfect.

Fueling was also near perfect and the bike was actually quite docile at rpms as low as 3k. The QS was excellent at all rpms too. Let the rpms climb above 7500 and you better be ready. It is still a brute up top.

This bike had carbon wheels and was also the most nimble of the 3. Just a sublime and now versatile motorcycle.

Next up was the Indian ftr. Full ohlins and carbon everything, I was most curious about this ride.

Getting on it, the bike feels tiny. The front tire disappears under the tiny, but very cool instrument cluster. The full color display is touch screen, yet manages to look and feel old school in the best way.

Under way the bike is very smooth, very torquey and pretty darn quick. Ultra balanced at parking lot speeds, nimble, and yet very stable at highway speeds.

For a naked bike, it handles wind waaay better than expected. 80mph was not uncomfortable at all and the bars remained dead stable even over expansion joints and other big hits. Shifting was buttery smooth with no electonic aids.

Cruise control was easy to use, but some extra buttons on the left side were confusing and a little in the way of the blinkers. Oh. Self canceling blinkers are awesome BTW. This was the best daily rider of the bunch.

Last up was the tuono 660 factory. With a scproject crt fitted it was LOUD. It did sound d incredible but the pipe would have to go for daily use.

Otherwise, this bike was the biggest surprise. The motor was torqueier than Kerry's trofeo and it helped a lot on the street. Acceleration from a stop was impressive and the QS was even better than the v4.

Handling was awesome at all speeds, but this bike had the longest reach to the bars by far, and that tired me out a lot quicker. I'm short though.

This bike was by far the best bang for the buck. At 11k, it's still a premium feeling bike with tons of character and almost no down side.

What else can I say. These are in fact all dream bikes and I'd love to own any of them. If forced to choose today, I would take the V4!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sTsz95qDEYD8NzZF8

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: COTA 24

Day 3 was for riding. We did a 300 mile loop through Central Texas hill country swapping between the three bike from day 2 plus a 2004 R1. The weather was just about as good as it gets. 80 degrees for a high with clear skies and light winds.

The roads are good, but not spectacular. The terrain is unique though with picturesque ranches, vineyards dotted with historic villages and lots of BBQ. This winter must have been wet here because everything was green and colored by a crazy wildflower bloom.

I must say that Kerry and I both haven't done much sport touring in the last few years and the day kicked our butts! We were suffering for those last 50 or so miles. Ears ringing, aching wrists and tender sitz bones at a minimum. Hahaa.

We ended the ride at Black's BBQ where we bumped into 4 HRC engineers from Japan. We tried chatting them up, but I don't think they understood English much if at all.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oix7JyjigdUxCNX16

Tomorrow we head to the track.

Paul_E_D

I keep telling Big Shirl we're going to COTA one of these years...soon...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Been to Blacks BBQ, very nice setup you have house pond so cool. Hope the weather holes looks like a blast! Thanks for the write-up.

Friday was spent wandering the track checking out the vendors, watching a few practice sessions and the bagger challenge race. We found some of our cyclesmith customers and staffers and met up at a cool local bar in lockhart for some drinks and food. Definitely a good time.

Saturday was a really fun day at the track. We watched the qualifiers and caught up with more old friends. An og SRNE friend (Tim Moore) as well as zack, ari and spurge of revzilla TV.

Watched the sprint race and the really cool podium ceremony. They should all be like that! and ended the day watching the bagger race. Honestly, that was the best racing so far!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pcigyPPAfXG5w2Cs5

Paul_E_D

Black's is probably the best "popular" BBQ in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Black's is probably the best "popular" BBQ in the area.
    I prefer Cooper’s to Black’s for the popular stuff, but you’re absolutely right neither are the best in Austin.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief