Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bikes riding breakdown lane

Re: Bikes riding breakdown lane

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post

Lane splitting in traffic, or filtering to the front I consider reasonable solutions. Breakdown lane travel, no way.
    100% agree^^^

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Well, off to work... splitting lanes

Edit: be careful fellas...had my high beams on but that wasn't enough for a charger decide to cut across double yellow to join me in my road space

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-21-17 at 10:57 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Except when other users fill that "emergency lane" as well, thus blocking emergency responders, and further exacerbating the situation.

Splitting is one thing. But keep it between the solid lines. California has this right.
    What makes the motorcycle unique compared to a car is that it can get out of the way to let responders by. If a car is present, it is likely blocking the way. I could see the arguement that riders must ride single file and on the edge if they ever were allowed to use it.

nedirtriders.com

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Also, if you're on 2 wheels, traveling at rush hour and file onto the highway like a sheep, it's your own damn fault.

We ride motorcycles to find the other roads not to sit on a backed up highway.
    I personally take this a step further and avoid the highway on the bike like the plague at all times, probably less than 10% of my total miles ridden are highway. I ride for fun/enjoyment/pleasure and the slab simply sucks all of that out of the ride for me traffic or not, obviously not an opinion shared by all, to each their own. I'm in the process of a new job and for me anything in the city (tiny, tame Providence) will mean ZERO commuting to work on the bike , i've been spoiled the past 18 years having a slab free commute with 6+ different back road options to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Lane splitting should be legal.

But it isn't.

If legal lane splitting would inspire 80% envy and 20% hatred, this jackass move inspires only hatred.
    Knowing New England drivers i'm surprised how many of you would lane split if legal, I'd still be petrified, I'm pretty sure the above numbers would be 90% hatred, 5% anger & 5% envy. We've all seen the way drivers constantly, pointlessly and randomly change lanes in traffic with no signaling and limited to no space between cars for any needed emergency maneuvering.

Of course this is just my $0.02, dangerous everywhere out there for bikes, I just try to limit my exposure as much as possible. Plus I have a few kick ass cars I love to drive, so for me there's that

Ive had to do that once or twice when I see the temp gauge on my 998 reaching 250

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    Knowing New England drivers i'm surprised how many of you would lane split if legal, I'd still be petrified, I'm pretty sure the above numbers would be 90% hatred, 5% anger & 5% envy. We've all seen the way drivers constantly, pointlessly and randomly change lanes in traffic with no signaling and limited to no space between cars for any needed emergency maneuvering.
    If traffic is completely stopped or close to it, there's no where for vehicles to change lanes to, so it isn't a concern. Once gaps start to form, tuck in to the first one you see if you're apprehensive about continuing and wait until traffic stops or crawls again.

nedirtriders.com

Yes riding on the break down lane during traffic is fine. Illegal but fine.

If Lane splitting were to be legalized here, I'd argue it would still be dangerous for at least 1 year cuz of vigilantes and just ignorant drivers. A lot of people won't know it was legalized and act like warriors and others just plain suck at driving so it will take them a while to adjust.. it seems to me that 90% of the population here literally suck at driving..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    If anyone has other roads between Boston and the lovely lowell area I would LOVE to hear about them. Live traffic, Waze, etc... Seems there are no more secrets. Back roads I used to use now have more traffic than the main roads.
    "Waze Jams" seem to be a thing. Driving through residential areas in Braintree in a gaggle of cars, all making the same turns.

Agreed: no good way Boston <-> Lowell.

Riding in the breakdown lane is not a good idea, if for no other reason that that it is the *breakdown* lane, that people are supposed to (and do) pull into in case of troubles.
    Lanesplitting, OTOH, I fully support, and would love to see that legalized here.
    It's one of the only two things I miss about CA.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Once said to a politician that

The purpose of public roads is the rapid transport of people and goods

First he looked perplexed then he looked at me like a "special" little boy

The purpose of road construction is to generate a HUGE budget allowing for MANY graft, kick back, and favors, then an enduring source of revenue from their roving
    armed tax collectors

So lane splitting, breakdown lane etc. is directly against their policy of revenue

BY the way the reason there are 25MPH is a global effort to make personal vehicles inconvenient much like ZPG . They say its a safety program but that is BS

I am old but before 1973 all roads out of town had a state wide speed limit of 50 MPH. Bias tired 3 ton behemoths with drum brakes.. and we lived

Start saving your liberty vote for liberty

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12