Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Almost binned the TLR!

Almost binned the TLR!

You know the saying practice make perfect?
    Well now and then I'll bang some stoppies just because.....Well, last night, A nice woman motorist decided to see how fast I could stop my bike, if she drove across the street in front of me!

I had about 30 feet to haul the bike down from about 30 to 35 mph. I couldn't go left, because of on coming traffic, she was going from left to right across my path. All I could do is grab a handful of brakes, and try to go right. The back end came way up and almost beyond, I had to release a little, and then nailed them again. All I could picture is me plastering the side of the car, and hurting really badly. I was able to get the bike turned about 45 degress with the ass end in the air! I got to a dead stop, and all I needed to do, was land the ass end, but because of me twisting, the front end tucked under, and the bike fell off to the right, on it's side, with me gracefully, (Yeah right!) falling off to the side too. No damage to me at all. The bike suffered a broken rear brake lever, (got welded this morning), some vertical scratches on the right side fairing, cracked the right front signal housing, and just dinged the edge of the exhaust can. I was very fucking lucky, and I had my baby back out today..The poor gal was freaking out! I stayed cool, and we swapped paperwork...Looks like I'm gonna get a couple of new parts!

[Edited on 5/25/02 by TLRMan]

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

Almost binned the TLR!

Isn't 30 feet a really long distance to stop from 35 MPH? Seems like it to me.

FireBallF4i

[Edited on 5/25/02 by FireBallF4i

[Edited on 5/25/02 by FireBallF4i]

Almost binned the TLR!

Isn't 30 feet a really long distance to stop from 35 MPH? Seems like it to me.
    lets see...30 mph is 44 feet per second, so I guess I actually had maybe 50 or so feet.
    Takes a good second to react to the situation at hand, but still, I missed the car by inches!

Almost binned the TLR!

Glad you're OK

Kimberly
    2008 Ford F350 crew cab Super Duty 6.4L diesel
    1998 Superhawk 996
    ZX-Stewie's Other half

www.hornblasters.com
    www.cartier-farms.com

Almost binned the TLR!

Wow that sounds like the old lady that almost bought my R6 today. I had just left a freinds house not more than a 1/2 mile (ice cold tires) before finding here. She was in the opposite lane turning across me into a driveway, and stopped right across the lane. Like your encounter i had about 40 feet except i was doin about 50 Can't go left oncoming traffic pulling around behind her. Grabbed a fistful of front and as soon as i tapped my rear it locked up. Kept it straight and uprite though. Had to thread it trough about a 3 ft hole becuase i was still doing about 10 mph. no contact, but i had picked out the spot on the hood where i was going to land glad you made it through with only bike damage and none too your person..
    Old people suck!!!!!!

No Officer I don't know how fast I was going, I was distracted by your blue lights.......

work??? some day I will, but today lets ride...
    01 R6

Almost binned the TLR!

Dave,

WARNING THIS MESSAGE IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
    Dont get me wrong I am glad you are ok. Lot of assholes out there. So, I guess I am doing this for the intellectual challenge. I cranked some numbers out and I assumed that your statements were correct. These assumptions are: that you stopped your bike in 30 ft and that your initial velocity was 35mph. The equations I used are as follows.

vt/2=x
    x=r+(vt)-(at²/2)

where:

x = distance traveled (feet)
    r = reaction distance(feet - for example, recognition/reaction)
    v = initial velocity (feet per second)
    t = stopping time (seconds)
    a = deceleration rate (feet per second per second)

First I needed to determine the time (t) it took you to stop. I used the first equation. The time to stop according to your statements was 1.168 sec.

I then wanted to evaluate the negative acceleration. So I used the second equation and found that you are suggesting that you decelerated at a rate of over 119 ft/sec². The contact patch of the tires on a sport bike simply wouldn’t allow you to pull 3+g’s of stopping force. So my conclusion is that either you inaccurately stated the total stopping distance or your initial velocity was incorrect. As a note, one g of stopping force is reasonable for a very experienced rider. I recalculated every thing based on your corrected stopping distance of 50 feet. the deceleration came out to be 31.97 ft/sec². which is dam good.

FireBallF4i

[Edited on 5/26/02 by FireBallF4i]

Almost binned the TLR!

Here's the equation I just used:

??? = WHAT THE FUCK???!!!???

Do you honestly believe that he got off the bike, measured the distance in which he had to stop, then had some means to accurately determine how fast EXACTLY he was travelling? C'mon now! The guy almost became part of a quarter panel for chrissakes! Does any of that jarble really matter?

I guess I pursued this 'cuz I'm bored, haven't had any coffee yet, my 18 month old has been nothing but a bitch this morning, and I drank way too much Mike's last night. But your little lesson in physics means nothing to me. He had a short distance to stop, he was on his bike, and a car cut him off...

Good job, Marc. Glad you're okay!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Almost binned the TLR!

Ok, just to jump on board with Stoneman glad to hear your ok TLR!. Yesterday in VT, I had a women in Suburu Impreza completely come across into my lane and into the shoulder on a corner. Talk about lucky! Phew! If I was 5 seconds earlier POW!

Oh yeah and f4i, I didn't see any factors for cold tires, pavement, relative humidity, dewpoint etc.. in your formulas.

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

Almost binned the TLR!

Looks like we have a physics nut at hand!
    which is good! It's good to have lots of knowledge on the board, never know when it'll come in handy!

We use to do just the reverse for figuring out excelleration over a given distance vs time, and then after calculating gear ratios, tire circumferences, and engine RPM.
    We had variables to factor in like, torque curves, over a 450 RPM curve, drive line dynamics, like back lash in the cush drive, and transmition, (gear shifts), which we eliminated by making the connection solid. but we still had flex in the chain, and more backlash on the coupler of the dyno, and durometer values of the tires, gave us something close to go by.
    But this was all figured with a frictionless environment. So we had to come up with a way to figure out a drag coefficient number to plug into our results...but that was expotential because we were supposed to be accelerating.
    We even went as far as using a disc with 360 holes drilled thru it and optically triggering samples to measure crankshaft velocity at give crank angles. We were using a 10meg/sec source, so we had to shift, and filter out lots of data, so we could get samples at just at the time it triggered off the edge of the holes on the disc. All this just to figure out how fast we would be going in the 1/4 mile, and the bike never left the test cell!

Now back to my deceleration issue, we must figure in the flex of the front forks compressing, the rotational angle of the bike as it pivots about the axis of the front wheel, what amount of mass is distibuted over the wheel base of the bike as it is rotating about the axis, (meaning, we just added a lever formular here) plus we also have to figure the force of gravity 32 feet per sec/squared,(one "G" for all that are scratching your heads..) working against that rotational mass. Of course which changes, as the bike rotates from horizontal to vertical. Then there was the slippage of the front tire patch at contact at the ground, and the twisting of the bike axially about the steering head...
    There was a lot of linear force, and distance, reduced by rotational force of the bike defeating the forces of gravity, by doing what I did. A STOPPIE!

Almost one "G" F4? way cool! my bladder felt like it was a LOT MORE! LOL

BTW, I'm just having fun too..no harm done...

[Edited on 5/26/02 by TLRMan]

Almost binned the TLR!

someone has a nasty math degree and too much time on there hands :-) glad your ok bud, hey she wasnt in a minivan by chance was she ? <grin> thinking of the steriotype that purchases and drives minivans, damn soccer moms

tiller
    Geeez, I'm just an engineer that builds things that fly, cure, or destroy...

No, not a mini Van Mom, a down and out 25 year old woman, that was suppose to marry her boyfriend of 2 years, but he broke up with her!!!! How's that one!

Almost binned the TLR!

I had a real close call a couple days ago on the chichester Road, I was riding from concord towards chichester on the second corner, just as I leaned in, a soccer mom in a mini van decides pull out in front of me, it the road were straight, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but I was scraping pegs and I wern't about to touch any brake, I couldnt lean in to the oncoming lane, cause there was oncoming traffic, luckily at least she did it quickly, I came withing a foot or two from her rear bumper, then she proceeds to drive less than a mile down the road and turns into the school.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Almost binned the TLR!

I encountered someone in a K-car trying to test their limits on Rt. 100 in Vermont on saturday.

The guy came around the corner with all four tires squealing in a slide. I had pulled over to take a picture and was just getting going again so I was going real slow. I could have evaded I guess but it happened so fast if he had slid into me I would have been history.

Cagers Suck!

Oh, for anyone who doesn't know. DON'T try to talk tech with TLRMan. He will make your head spin!

Hey Marc,

Do you have any more of those swingarm spools?

Ben

Almost binned the TLR!

TLRman, good job with the stoppie. i guess i should practice them too huh. thats cool justification for being a squid. AHAHAHHA!

Fireball... careful around here, i am guessing you might be recently graduated from some sort of engineering or science background, cause i did the same things when i first got out of school. As soon as i first figured out a bunch of stuff from school, i desperately wanted that stuff to work in the real world. but some engineer with experience has always been right on top of me for oversimplifying. The real world is so damn complicated. oh well. i think my first time doing that here was with tires or something.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR