Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

me or the metzelers?

Angry me or the metzelers?

okay, so i had a *severe* pucker moment this morning...

taking Parmenter from Rt 20 towards Farm Rd in Marlboro... taking it easy, just trying to be smooth, not fast, since the pavement was damp.
    traveling around 30-35coming around one right hander, something went loose. *felt* like the front slipped, but i'm not really sure. i wasn't leaned over very much... nowhere near the tire edges. there was zero brake input, front or rear. i didn't dive into the turn. i didn't whack the throttle, either... just a slight crack further open from what i had been doing.

i know this is hard to judge hoving not seen it, but does it sound like i fucked up, or did my tires?

stood the bike up a little and rolled off, didn't lowside, but went way wider than i shoulda out of that corner and into the next. really ruined the rest of the ride, as i was totally paranoid about getting it over at all...
    i was thinking before that i'd get BT010/020s when the Mez4s wore out, but more and more i'm thinking i want these damn things off NOW.
    thoughts?
    -t

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

me or the metzelers?

Dump em!!!!

get dunlops. They are phenominal on the RF, while its not a twin, i think it has similar power and weight.

umm i have had that happen from time to time as well, you know those black tar strips that Mass loves to patch the road with... well i have proven time and again, that they are sliperry when wet. Were they part of this picture?

cuidado piso mojado!

oh and go back home and change those drawers, i can smell ya from andover!

Last edited by oreo_n2; 08-16-02 at 08:01 AM.
    Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

me or the metzelers?

oh, yeah, forgot to mention... no tar snakes.

bah!

me or the metzelers?

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    oh and go back home and change those drawers, i can smell ya from andover!
    i *did* change my drawers... i started carrying a spare set a while back.
    but i left the soiled ones in your desk.... you were gone, so i just went right in.

me or the metzelers?

Sections of parmenter were VERY slick on the morning ride man... i wouldn't blame anything but the slick road surface on this one.... I slid the ass end out a little on parmenter right before the last turn when it hits farm road... i think there were a few leaves on the road for 1 and it was mildly wet...

Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Lifer

me or the metzelers?

You'll get used to it...

- Tar strips
    - paint on the road
    - little bit of sand
    - sudden camber change
    - lean further than ever before, hit some of the tire that never got scrubbed in?

I don't think there is anything really wrong with those tires, I had lots of those little slides with mine, but it always recovered fine. The BT010s do have less of those little slides as far as I can tell so far, they feel much more grippy.

How many miles on your Metzelers?

If you do try BT010's, you may want to switch the front from a 120/60/17 to a 120/65/17. I was talked into this (it supposedly makes the front feel a little more stable) and I like it. It might make the steering a little heavier too, but then it's already so light.

Ben

Lifer

me or the metzelers?

Come to think of it the BT010s are significantly better on wet/damp roads... That is definitely one area they are much, much better than the Metzelers.

Ben

me or the metzelers?

Originally posted by benSV
    [B]You'll get used to it...

- Tar strips
    nope
    - paint on the road
    i think i was ~1 mile away from where this road has lines.
    - little bit of sand
    nuh-uh.
    - sudden camber change
    nicht
    - lean further than ever before, hit some of the tire that never got scrubbed in?
    not even *close* in fact, i was a good 5-10mph below where i usually take the road.

I don't think there is anything really wrong with those tires, I had lots of those little slides with mine, but it always recovered fine. The BT010s do have less of those little slides as far as I can tell so far, they feel much more grippy.
    you don' think theres anything wrong with a set of tires that you've had a lot of slides on? damn, brotha, you got bigger stones than i do, that's for damn sure!
    How many miles on your Metzelers?
    just over 3K.

If you do try BT010's, you may want to switch the front from a 120/60/17 to a 120/65/17. I was talked into this (it supposedly makes the front feel a little more stable) and I like it. It might make the steering a little heavier too, but then it's already so light.
    something to think about... but the front on an SVS is marginally more planted than a naked, by virtue of the lower bars & fairing weight...

-t

Lifer

me or the metzelers?

There could have been something you didn't see...

Oh and one more thing...

It has been fuckin hot as hell... did you check your tire pressures lately?

The metzelers to me felt "unsettled" and maybe more likely to feel like they were sliding when the weather got hot and the temp creeped up.

I do remember days where I had set the pressure in the morning when the bike had been in the shade overnight, and then when I went out at lunch the bike had been sitting in the sun and the tires were at like 5-10psi higher than they were supposed to. That would usually manifest itself in feeling like the rear tire had little traction though, not the front.

The BT010s seem to do better in this aspect too. If they've got a lot of air in them the ride gets bumpier but they seem to still have plenty of grip.

Ben

me or the metzelers?

hmm.
    i'll check the press...

-t

me or the metzelers?

I never found much wrong with the MeZ4's that come stock on the SV, yes they take quite a bit to warm up in subfreezing pavement, but most tires do. I prefer Azaro's only cause the carcass is designed to run high pressures so they seem to stay rounder longer. Like Mick sez, the more you ride, the more you will encounter slippin & slidin for no reason at all, get used to it, shit happens, I mean, you coulda just ran over some fresh bird shit or something, or maybe you ran over a slug making it's way across the road.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

me or the metzelers?

okay, note to self:
    grow, purchase, or otherwise acquire stones.

thanx guys.
    -t

me or the metzelers?

Both, but more you not knowing the tire/road charactaristics.

The pavement was damp, more throttle than usual.

MeZ4's are hard, longer street life.

If you feel the tires are not for you, swap them. Even if they were fine, having your preference will boost your confidence.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486