Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Blood

Lifer

Give Blood

We all ride, and some race so we alll risk trips to the hospital. The red cross is having a shortage of blood so go donate. I started donating every month when Jersey had his accident and I've been doing it ever since.

Give Life | American Red Cross

Go make a difference any of us could need it at any point.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Give Blood

I used to give blood all the time.. it was easier since I worked in a hospital. I'm definitely due.

As for the women.. give blood, play roller derby.

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Give Blood

Donating on Friday

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Banned

Give Blood

I used to give blood every 6 weeks for years. I also donated platelets regularly. I was also on the bone marrow donor's list.

Well, since then, the authorities have decided that anyone who has been to the UK in the last few years cannot donate. It's not enough evidence that no-one has ever contracted BSE or Blue ear/foot & mouth disease in the uk, or that there are so few cases ever recorded that MIGHT have been a variation of BSE as to be negligible, and all the cases were years and years ago. Still, my blood/marrow isn't welcome any more.

Scroll down to Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease

Hooray for idiots in positions of decision making!!!

It's just a shame that poor little Tommy/Susie could die from Leukemia because I could be carrying a disease that has never been found in humans.

Also, I'm 'O'-ve. Used for blood transfusions to preemie babies and people in dire need where there is no time for a blood type check (like...erm...motorcycle accident victims?) as it's universally compatible.

Yeah, i'm a little bitter that they have these blood drives, then refuse some of the samples offered for stupid reasons.

derek

Last edited by Degsy; 12-04-07 at 12:17 PM.

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Give Blood

cant donate if your a pole smoker either...

i actually worked for the red cross proccessing the whole blood as it came in for about 6 years. i literally handled bloods that had tested positive for HIV, hepatitis etc and it was a bit sketchy... the funniest/ weirdest thing would be if a girl donated blood, i could tell if she was on birth control or not because plasma (which is normally a urine yellow color) turns green... those dirty little sluts

just my opinion but if something turns your plasma green, i think it might be bad for you

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Littering and........

Give Blood

I always figure its more like a deposit than a donation, given that I commute on a motorcycle.

Banned

Give Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post

i actually worked for the red cross proccessing the whole blood as it came in for about 6 years. i literally handled bloods that had tested positive for HIV, hepatitis etc and it was a bit sketchy... the funniest/ weirdest thing would be if a girl donated blood, i could tell if she was on birth control or not because plasma (which is normally a urine yellow color) turns green... those dirty little sluts

just my opinion but if something turns your plasma green, i think it might be bad for you
    There's actually a test for mad cow disease now, too.

Mad cow test

Give Blood

I donated approximately 8 gallons over the years. Since I caught a bad case of the Leukemia, they won't let me donate anymore....... Regards, Jake

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Give Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    There's actually a test for mad cow disease now, too.

Mad cow test

you're ridiculous

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Give Blood

I'm off the donor lists at least for a while due to meds I took for Lyme

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Give Blood

I have not been allowed to donate blood for many years now for many reasons. The most common was because I had been to Mexico, Belize, Aruba and other places on a yearly basis. NOt because I am sick or anything just because I traveled to those places.

Give Blood

Yeah, i'm a little bitter that they have these blood drives, then refuse some of the samples offered for stupid reasons.
    I used to "leave out" my trips to the UK because it was more hassle than going through all the questionaire BS. They've relaxed the rules in the last year so I think I'm legit again.

Give Blood

Well, since then, the authorities have decided that anyone who has been to the UK in the last few years cannot donate.
    I lived in the UK for those years as well. I was pretty young, like 7-9 years old. I came back to the US. When i turned 17 i went to go give blood but was refused. I think its pretty safe to say i dont have mad cow disease but i guess they are being extra cautious. pretty lame, i just wanted to help.

SNJNOW

Give Blood

You can't donate if you had any tattooing done within the last 12 months ;-( You also can't donate if you paid for sex in another country! Haha - who the F does that?

[SIGPIC]

Lifer

Give Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Scott&Jeanna View Post
    You can't donate if you had any tattooing done within the last 12 months ;-( You also can't donate if you paid for sex in another country! Haha - who the F does that?
    You can donate if you got tattoo'ed or pierced at a state regulated studio with sterile needles.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

SNJNOW

Give Blood

Apparently not in NH.

[SIGPIC]

Lifer

Give Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Scott&Jeanna View Post
    Apparently not in NH.
    Apaparently you should check again. I gave blood in NH 2 weeks ago and it was crossed out and re-written on the list at the red cross office in Manchester.

SNJNOW

Give Blood

Hey, respect your elders - you punk-ass! ;-) Cool - It's been more than 6 months since the ink and the last blood donation! I'm a frequent donor too - although not a frequent as you!

Do you prefer to give blood through the arm or through the face? ;-)

[SIGPIC]

Give Blood

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    You can donate if you got tattoo'ed or pierced at a state regulated studio with sterile needles.
    wrong! cannot not donate, its a 12 month wait.... I worked my co-op at Children's hospital blood bank doing processing/ viral markers. Definitely donate there! the red cross gets pricey, and if you go on a tuesday they generally have bertucci's pizza for donors.

and for the BSE, CJD etc... its caused by prions and it is a legit threat especially since when you donate you have to remember that you're giving to someone who's probably immune compromised and stuff like this that wouldn't effect you normally can put them in a bad place fast. as of right now prions which causes BSE is considered the leading probable cause for Alzheimers. also, look up Kuru, practically a human form of BSE.

Give Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post

green plasma is crazy shit! whats worse is someone with high cholesterol or someone that just downed a whopper, the fat floats, I got a picture of a plasma unit that was the worst I saw there. Just picture pumping cream out of someone and that's what's you get.

Lifer

Give Blood

Quote Originally Posted by neuthunder View Post
    wrong! cannot not donate, its a 12 month wait.... I worked my co-op at Children's hospital blood bank doing processing/ viral markers. Definitely donate there! the red cross gets pricey, and if you go on a tuesday they generally have bertucci's pizza for donors.

and for the BSE, CJD etc... its caused by prions and it is a legit threat especially since when you donate you have to remember that you're giving to someone who's probably immune compromised and stuff like this that wouldn't effect you normally can put them in a bad place fast. as of right now prions which causes BSE is considered the leading probable cause for Alzheimers. also, look up Kuru, practically a human form of BSE.
    American Red Cross Blood Services, New England Region, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont

Changes have also been made to our donor deferral criteria:

* We will have a new and expanded, industry-standard medication deferral list, making it easier for donors to answer medication-related questions.
    * In states where tattoo parlors are state regulated, tattoos received at these parlors will no longer be a cause for deferral. In New England, tattoo parlors in Connecticut, Maine, Rhode Island and Vermont are regulated by the state. Tattoos done in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and New York require a 12 month wait period before donating blood.
    * The vCJD informational sheet and travel deferral criteria associated with vCJD are changing to reflect the FDA痴 most current thinking on demographic areas where there is a potential risk of Mad Cow disease.
    More information.
    * Some donors who had been deferred previously will now be able to donate.

Give Blood

I know its kind of hard to see but the top one is the floater, the bottom is a good one.

Give Blood

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    American Red Cross Blood Services, New England Region, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont

Changes have also been made to our donor deferral criteria:

* We will have a new and expanded, industry-standard medication deferral list, making it easier for donors to answer medication-related questions.
    * In states where tattoo parlors are state regulated, tattoos received at these parlors will no longer be a cause for deferral. In New England, tattoo parlors in Connecticut, Maine, Rhode Island and Vermont are regulated by the state. Tattoos done in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and New York require a 12 month wait period before donating blood.
    * The vCJD informational sheet and travel deferral criteria associated with vCJD are changing to reflect the FDA痴 most current thinking on demographic areas where there is a potential risk of Mad Cow disease.
    More information.
    * Some donors who had been deferred previously will now be able to donate.

huh well at least at children's its still standard that they be deferred. I'll have to look into it, seeing that I'm taking my bloodbanking class as of right now. Actually, I have class at 5pm tonight and I'll bring this up to my professors.

Banned

Give Blood

Hmm, interesting!! Thanks for the info.

Banned

Give Blood

green plasma is crazy shit! whats worse is someone with high cholesterol or someone that just downed a whopper, the fat floats, I got a picture of a plasma unit that was the worst I saw there. Just picture pumping cream out of someone and that's what's you get.
    I had a blood test for life insurance. Came back with a handwritten not "Severe Lipemia!! See doctor!!"

I guess they could see fat floating on the sample. I had a triglyceride level of close to 600 and Cholesterol of 280. Luckily, my blood pressure is around 110 over 65 and I'm not overweight.

Happy to say that my cholesterol is below 200 now and my triglycerides are back to normal after diet, a little exercise and low-dose Zocor.

derek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast