Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bluetooth Headphones ?

Lifer

Bluetooth Headphones ?

Has anyone found/used a set of wireless headphones for use in a full face helmet?

My zumo will play MP3's and is bluetooth compatible.

I hates wires...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SteveM; 09-10-11 at 04:18 PM.

Re: Bluetooth Headphones ?

I have this with whatever set of earbuds/headphones I want to use. I tend to use one ear only, mainly for directions and partially for background music.

i haven't found a set that will fit under in my helmet comfortably. I use these when I run or go mtn biking. http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/backbeat-903-plus

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I have a Cardo Scala Rider G4 with a wired mic kit. It works well with my Zumo. I'm not thrilled with the way the Zumo interfaces with my phone though. The voice dial works if I pair the phone and the headset but if I pair the phone and the Zumo, and the then the Zumo with the headset, voice dialing does not work right.

I got to test out a few of these once and they were pretty sweet. For all that you get its not a bad deal. I believe you can hook up 2 devices so you can hook up your phone and gps directly with it instead of going phone -> gps -> headset.

2WT

I got the Scala Rider Q2 set and I WOULD NOT suggest these for use for music. The volume does not go loud at all so you cannot make out the words without focusing on trying to understand the song and taking your focus from riding.

I was hoping these would work and have yet to test out the voice call so I am not sure if the volume for that would be louder or not. I had both the volume on the Q2 and my cell phone all the way up as well.

Lifer

I have the Scala Rider G4 in my helmet.

The volume is perfectly adequate if you do not ride with ear-plugs. If you do, then it is marginal, just barely okay.

The sound quality is poor. This has been my biggest disappointment.

The control it offers over my iphone is great. Thumb the connect button and go. Forward and back controls work great. And there are no wires to screw with.

Lately I have been having problems with it dropping out though. I believe this is because I do not charge it everyday and probably should.

I tried a bluetooth helmet and it was a pain in the ass to pair it up to connect it to my phone every time I used it. Headphones under my jacket up to my helmet is 10x easier.

Lifer

My Scala setup stays paired. I've only had to pair it twice; once when I got it and a second time when I did a full factory reset after a firmware upgrade.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Some thoughts and tips on the G4:

The FM reception is terrible if running on the battery, however, I added a 5 volt regulator, heat sink and micro-USB cord to my bike to charge the thing while I'm moving and the FM reception is dramatically improved when it's plugged in. I plan to test it with just a length of wire on a micro-USB plug to see if it's the extra power or the wire acting as an FM antenna that really helps. If it's the wire alone, I'll rig up a wire that can stay on my helmet.

If the sound quality is poor, try shutting off the MP3 source and turning it back on again. Every once in awhile, my Zumo 660 sends a crappy sounding signal to the G4. With a good signal, the G4 sounds great.

If the volume is not high enough with ear plugs, don't put the ear plugs in all the way. I put them about half way in (foam plugs from Rite Aid) and get a good compromise of wind noise and music volume. Also, speaker placement is really critical; move them around a bit until they are prefectly placed, then lock them there.

Although I don't use it for music, I've been pretty happy with my Sena headset. I've recently switched from the standard helmet-speaker setup to using earbuds (S-plug earbuds) and am generally happy with that setup. I've had some interference issues using it in intercom mode with Maria on her bike, but not when riding 2-up on the same bike (and I got some pretty good offer for help from tech support, I was just reluctant to send in the set for testing during the season).

Lifer

I rode with a buddy that has a G4 last weekend. We tried their quick-pair feature and it worked well. Although when I acted like a teenager in the twists and put some distance between us, we'd have to re-quick-pair the sets once caught up. After that we paired them for real. They worked really well paired. Neither one of us put the little antenna up, so we pretty much only had a few hundred feet of range. But really it was enough for our purposes.

I had not used the scala as an intercom up until then. They are very clear when they have a solid connection. Sometimes almost eerily clear!

It's fun to be able to heckle cruiser riders while underway.

2WT

I also have a set of these, they are not bluetooth but they are wireless kinda.

Auvio Wireless Earbuds

They have a small transmitter you plug into your phone, gps, etc headphone jack. The transmitter then wirelessly transmits the audio to the earbuds. I was able to wear these in my helmet and tuck the volume control module under my shirt so LEO could not see the wires at all. They have been working very good but now that I need my phone and GPS I had to get the ScalaRider Q2's.

The downside is I have had them for about 2 years and it appears the internal batteries are dying because i can charge them overnight and only get a few hours (3-4) use out of them.

Here is a better image of the device(s)

Lifer

That's decent for audio only. The nice thing the intercom units bring to the table is the ability to control the player too. Having the ability to 'next' in pandora while commuting on the slab is worth more to me than I can tell you. AVRCP is the buzzword you want to see on the box, IMO.