Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

bluetooth / inter rider communications?

bluetooth / inter rider communications?

so ive always been sort of interested in getting one of the headsets for my helmet and my girlfriends helmet. something along the lines of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260844361867...84.m1438.l2649

both full-face helmets so i am not 100% sure what will/wont fit or work. anyone have anything like this and can shed some light on the topic?

i like this one because you could have up to 6 people online together

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: bluetooth / inter rider communications?

The Mrs. and I have the Sena SMH10's and love them. They work perfect, are easy to use and we've gotten over a half mile range out of them.

A bunch of us over on Born are using them. http://www.bandofriders.net/forums/s...highlight=sena

There are a million great reviews out there for them if you look around the net.
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/400/95...et-Review.aspx

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I have a Scala G4 headset. I never ride 2-up, so it is mostly just for integration with the phone so I can listen to some tunes while commuting. But I have used it for bike-to-bike comms with a guy I work with that has a set. It works well, but not perfectly. It has glitches. Its latest glitch is that it will not pause or play music, only skip or stop. This means I have to pull the phone out of my pocket to get it playing when I mount up.. and cannot pause playback AND restart it if there is something I need to focus on.

Range is excellent with the Scalas too.

My biggest beef is none of the BT bike or rider-to-rider sets work cross brand. They need a standard for this crap.

IIRC the Chatterbox X1 is popular with readers of this forum because it uses FRS for bike-to-bike comms, which supports very large groups. The Scala G4 for example only scales to 4 riders.

The best reviews I've seen seem to go to the Scala Rider stuff. That's what I'm looking at for when my son starts riding. I talked to one guy who says they get up to a mile of range, and bit more if the terrain is right for it. He rides with his son and sometimes a larger off-road group, they use the G9.

I can't imagine that anything good would come from a no-name Ebay buy like that though.

The Scala Rider G9 system has the best range features, and the price tag to go along with it. I'll have to do a lot of research to be sure I'm getting what is right.

Last edited by SprintPoser; 06-17-12 at 06:23 AM.
    2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

I have the Scala G4 and I usually have 4 of us linked and they are fantastic. They have never failed us. Fantastic product and the new one supposed to be even better.

Steven

G4 here as well.

Depends on what you want it for. If it's for big groups I hear the G9 is better, but the more typical choice is the chatterbox system.

For me and my wife the G4 just works. You can have an open channel between rider / passenger at all times. I also regularly use mine for music from my phone. I've also been in countless conference calls where others didn't even realize I was driving, much less riding. My only complaint about the scala is that the volume (primarily for music) could go a bit higher.

One thing I would note, is that for full face helmets the "boom" style mic doesn't work very well in my opinion. Scalar makes a setup for full face helmets that has a smaller mic that fits much better (but isn't usually part of the standard kit).

i am looking right now as well, but want bluetooth so GPS, MP3 and rider to rider. I have been looking at

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIwBEPMCMAI

plus i do not care for the big bulky ones. I ride solo a lot so just the phone and mp3 is 90% of why I want it, but on a small occassion i find a rider with one we can chat on those long rides and make of of people.....

I will be doing motomarathon in Sept so it's nice to chat with the wife on some long rides and cheat on directions.. lol JK

if i am right the larger units will give you twice the distance in helmet to helmet. but 450 meters on the small units are still prety far. keep us posted on what you get then let us know how it works.

some good solid input, thats what i like. Im not planning on many if any of my friends to get this so i guess it would be mostly for the lady and I. and maybe if i swap hers to another helmet for a friend on roads i have no clue of. I have read alot of positive on the Scala's and like said, no name ebay stuff can be iffy so i will look into the scala with that smaller mic and hopefully find something soon...thanks for the input and continued input

Lifer

I agree with Jason. Probably my biggest objection, until recently, has been that the volume doesn't go very loud.
    That was until the BT integration with my iphone started acting up. I had this issue before and resetting everything fixed it. I should try that again.

Wirelessly posted

Sena ftw

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

has anyones used blinc

Didnt realize the price on the scala g4....around 400. For that i am not as interested anymore. Have found a few pre owned on ebay down around 100-200 for a pair, may try route. Still worried about mic fitment in my full face though, should be ok

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330735778685...84.m1438.l2649

any input on this one? i know its not a fancy high end version but....neither am i lol

or the scala rider q2 doesnt seem too bad and is on the lower price range...

Lifer

That fleabay deal doesn't look like such a deal to me.. Compare to this.

These things are not cheap. You definitely have to pay to play here, IMO. They are complicated. I would not trust a no-name chinese ripoff from fleabay.

I would get a Sena or Scala unless FRS interop (read: large groups, especially NESR) were your bag, then I'd get a Chatterbox X1.

My buddy @ work that has a G4 set he uses with his wife loves them.

Goodbye wife, hello bike! Father Ribs's Avatar

I have the Scala Rider for my gf and I. It is feature light, but relatively cheaper. There are limitations (you need to physically plug your music source in, and music is not "loud" by any means), but on-bike intercom the sound quality is excellent. Do you ride two up or separate bikes?
    I love getting calls and then saying "sorry I can't talk now, I'm on the bike"...they have no idea unless I have the face shield up.

ride 2 up with my gf, i dont mind plugging into my phone

Jeff, let me know what you end up getting. A buddy of mine I'm Chicago wanted to split the cost of a Scala system with me and it would be great if all of us local guys had the same stuff for group rides

Check out jm audio. Their BT unit is great

I just picked up a Sena SMH5 for mainly using with GPS. Can barely hear it on the highway though with A Bell Star helmet. Maybe I need to adjust the earpieces. The one phone call I took on the highway though my friend said he could hear me clearly but I couldnt hear him over the wind noise. For ~$90 though it is worth it for being able to hear the GPS.

decided to go with a pair of Sena SMH5. we'll see how it goes!

let us know how it works. my biggest concern is to hear it on highway speeds. right now i use a kangabooster for mp3.

works great but i am getting mixed resolts on speakers that come with these units for fullface

Lifer

For the past couple of years, I have been watching for the prices to come down on the bike to bike systems, but it really hasn't. In fact, it seems to be going in the other direction, but the quality/range of the transmissions has been getting better as well. For now, it certainly does seem to be a "get what you pay for" game, with the better units going for $400-$700/pair or so. I am still waiting for a sub-$200 system that works well.

Blic are worthless.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast