Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

bluetooth / inter rider communications?

Re: bluetooth / inter rider communications?

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    For the past couple of years, I have been watching for the prices to come down on the bike to bike systems, but it really hasn't. In fact, it seems to be going in the other direction, but the quality/range of the transmissions has been getting better as well. For now, it certainly does seem to be a "get what you pay for" game, with the better units going for $400-$700/pair or so. I am still waiting for a sub-$200 system that works well.
    $164.99

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-Bluetooth...rds=sena+smh10

Two pack $299.99

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-Bluetooth...rds=sena+smh10

Works awesome. Have zero complaints. If you only want them for you and a passenger, even cheaper, look up the SMH5.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Neat! That is getting really close! It is still $300 for a "set" (what good is one??). The SMH5, would probably do it for me for off road stuff - they work up to 400 yards, and are around $200/set.
    Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I have only one. I bought it to pipe tunes into the helmet... and let the missus call me while underway.. sometimes.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by martyk View Post
    decided to go with a pair of Sena SMH5. we'll see how it goes!
    Yes, please let us know how they work out! Their 400+ yard range seems like it would be fine for dirt biking and ATV riding. We rarely get that far apart. If you have a mostly positive review, I will probably buy a set for my wife and I.

ok hopefully in by the end of the week. then will get them on my helmet and her helmet, review by next week

alright as promised : Bought the Sena smh5 off ebay last week brand new for under $200. Read a bunch of reviews before deciding on my purchase. so it is finally installed and works great. rider to rider communication is good (still messing with the microphone a little to get it in a good spot, also if the face shield is up or cracked open a little you get some wind noise but not bad.). I have an older HJC helmet and there are little pockets i found out right by each ear, speakers fit in them perfectly and sound is pretty good, even at higher speeds (as long as the face shield is down. One of my favorite parts is the module comes with 2 mounting options: adhesive right to the side of the helmet, or a piece that sticks up under the helmet and clamps on, no drilling or gluing.
    very easy to install, for me at least. Def recommended to anyone who wants a dual set up but doesnt have a ton of money.

Lifer

Do you use earplugs? How is the sound/volume level at 70-80 MPH with earplugs in?

That is probably my biggest disappointment with the Sena; the volume doesn't quite go loud enough.

Lifer

alright as promised : *snipped review* Def recommended to anyone who wants a dual set up but doesnt have a ton of money.
    Thank You for the review! I know nothing about Blue Tooth technology, but if I understand correctly, a pair of these devices needs 2 cell phones to connect to? Does each set have to connect to a separate phone - ie - rider #1 has his headset that is connected via Blue Tooth to his phone, and rider #2 has his set, connected via Blue tooth to his own phone? and then the 2 phones actually do the communicating? Or do they both connect to one phone? I apologize for the question, which may seem ridiculous to some people, but I am really in the dark when it comes to this stuff...

Lifer

No. You do not need any phones. These devices can connect to one another. Each model has a maximum number they can connect to. For the Scala G4 I have, that is 4 devices. Meaning up to four helmet mounted G4 devices can be connected at any given time, no phones involved.

Each device can pair to a phone, GPS, etc in addition to other intercom devices.

exactly what bubba said. i was / am still very new to the whole set up and toying with different things every day to see what what works better.

i agree on the sound. No ear plugs and honestly havent rode on the highway yet with it so i guess i cant give an honest review on the high speeds haha, fail.
    I did notice with the volume cranked all the way up, depending on application (music or rider-rider) it becomes a little distorted.
    still happy with the product with what i use it for

Lifer

still happy with the product with what i use it for
    I feel the same way about the Scala. Its one of those things I'm kind of glad I splurged for. It is 100x better than the ear buds I was using, even if that produced better SQ and volume. Not having to screw with wires is worth a lot in my book. The other night I got caught in the rain and tossed my phone into my (watertight) side case. For the remainder of the ride I still had tunes and was able to answer the phone to let the missus know I was okay.

I do wish these guys would standardize on BT to BT. I fail to understand why there isn't a standard for these things and why I can't pair my Scala with your Sena.

Lifer

First, Thank You for checking these out and answering my questions. Are you using the boom mic with a full face helmet, or did you purchase the stick on mic set?

Lifer

I use the boom mic with my Scala as it is included. I am too cheap to buy the wired mic setup. It works, although it is a tight fit in my Scorpion EXO-700 helmet. It was a better fit in my old HJC. I hook the mic and pull it out of wack maybe 1/4 times removing the helmet. I am concerned that I am going to wear the boom out and break it. If that happens I'll spring for the wired/stick in setup. ... Until then.

i have the system mounted in an exo-1000.

with earpulg (hereos) its fine around town. on the highway the plugs take away alot the volume. depends on how you ride. if im going under 85 its okay.. .anything over that then its tough to hear over the plugs and wind noise. Also this is riding a Sv1000s

I just put on the upgraded Sena SMH5 headphones. (I believe they are the ones that come with the SMH10).

So much better now. The stock ones are crap.

I use Interphone F5 BT communicators for the on-track one-on-one instruction I do with Tony's. It works great as an intercom on the street or track, and as an MP3 player/phone interface on the street. Yes, I work for Twisted Throttle, that's why I know about the Interphone. I'd never heard of them before, since they are pretty new to the market.

Pete uses Scala when he instructs and seems to like it.

I'm currently in the market for a Sena SMH 10. I have been using an older scala rider Q2 (my first bluetooth intercom set) for some time now, but as I have been doing more street riding than ever before, I am ready to upgrade to something that is not only louder (hard to hear my Q2 with earplugs) but can play GPS/music wirelessly from my phone. I primarily bought the Q2 multiset to enhance the rides I go on with my GF, but now I just want more features.

Do people still recommend the Sena SMH 10 in terms of noise levels and syncing capability? Will a Sena unit be able to pair to my set of Q2's? The GF does not like to listen to music or use earplugs on the bike (I have no idea why) so she's been happy with the Q2's I already own and thus would like to avoid getting a new set.

With both of my G4's failing within a week of one another, and within 2 weeks of their warranty expiring, I went with a Sena SMH 5.

Sena's will not talk to Scala's. At all. Forget it.

With that said, I actually like the SMH-5's much better than the G4's. A couple reasons... Primary, wifey was never able to figure out the G4's. Couldn't turn them on. Couldn't turn them off. Couldn't initiate com. Couldn't play music. Couldn't use them. When we are riding together the only option to use them was for me to leave the com session open between her and I. No music for me (as phone takes priority). With the Sena she can thump the big button on the side of the SMH-5 (different on the 10, watch out) to talk to me. It switches from my music to com. Problem solved.

Secondary. I bought the "bigger" upgraded speakers with the Sena's. They are louder than my G4's.

As I understand it the 10 gets you primarily FM Radio and more range. I cared about neither. I have FM Radio. If she goes out of range, she's fallen off .

Lifer

My own update: We ended up buying a pair of Sena SMH-5 units for $189 (for 2 complete units). They were the least expensive "Brand Name" units that we could find. They work very well, and I wish that I had bought them sooner. For off-road use, they have a very limited range of around 100 yards or so, before the sound quality starts getting "scratchy". This is quite enough for us under most circumstances. On the road, range is quite a bit longer - maybe 200-300 yards.
    The sound level is quite good, and I often turn mine down from 100% volume. They are very easy to install, and it takes maybe 10 minutes to install the whole thing the first time.
    The Quick-Start instructions are pretty barren, and it took me a while to figure out that I did not have to run through the "pairing" procedure each time that I used them. After their initial pairing, you just turn them on, and touch the jog dial on either unit once, and they connect.
    We have not paired these to our cell phone yet, as I normally do *not* want to be interrupted by calls when I am riding.
    The battery life is really good, and we have never killed them during a ride (over 4 hours).
    Overall, for the money, these are wonderful units. I do wish that they had longer range, but I would not be willing to pay double the price for it.

We sell many different headsets but this year we started selling the new Uclear force headsets & everyone loves them. They are military grade boomless (no mic near mouth - mic threw speaker unit) Fairly loud as well.

Adrenaline Cycle
    Swansea,MA

Dyno Jet Tuning Center
    Apparel
    Fabrication
    Powder Coating
    Paint
    Service
    Engine service
    Race Bike Prep
    Used OEM Parts
    Track bike rentals

ADRENALINECYCLEINC.COM
    Like us on Facebook
    [IMG]http://www.facebook.com/AdrenalineCycle1?ref=hl

I used the Sena SMH10 with Jeff-6R last summer and they worked so well, I picked one up this summer. It works great for intercom with my buddies, but I use it to listen to music, and use audio navigation instructions. I would definitely recommend this one. Its even expandable for use with 2-way radios, if you choose to do so.

Last edited by DankDirtyBird; 07-22-13 at 12:59 PM. Reason: made better
    You Sir know nothing of true greatness. I of course refer to ones ability to steal, drink and generally do nothing, and carry it off with style

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    With that said, I actually like the SMH-5's much better than the G4's. A couple reasons... Primary, wifey was never able to figure out the G4's. Couldn't turn them on. Couldn't turn them off. Couldn't initiate com. Couldn't play music. Couldn't use them. When we are riding together the only option to use them was for me to leave the com session open between her and I. No music for me (as phone takes priority). With the Sena she can thump the big button on the side of the SMH-5 (different on the 10, watch out) to talk to me. It switches from my music to com. Problem solved.
    I consider myself a pretty 'tech' friendly kind of guy. I work with tech for money.. And I can't figure out that Scala interface 9/10 times. It is infuriating.. does that one long beep mean I'm connected to the phone? Or is it trying to do intercom?! Who can tell? Let's mash some buttons some more.. except the functions of the buttons depend on what mode you're in!

I recently paired my G4 set up with another rider from this forum (Stonky/Dave). We spent 5-10 minutes at the meet up point trying to make the intercom work. We finally gave up and started riding. About 20 min in I found that my volume was turned all the way down. At the next stop sign I mentioned this to Dave. His was turned all the way down as well. Turns out we were paired, but couldn't hear each other. I'm guessing the last firmware upgrade reset the levels to 0.

One of the least user-friendly devices I've .. uhm .. heard of.

Secondary. I bought the "bigger" upgraded speakers with the Sena's. They are louder than my G4's.
    'cuse me while I go try to unload my G4 on fleabay. That's 2/2 with my complaints with the Scalas: too complicated to use and not loud enough.

Last edited by nhbubba; 07-22-13 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Do you use earplugs? How is the sound/volume level at 70-80 MPH with earplugs in?

That is probably my biggest disappointment with the Sena; the volume doesn't quite go loud enough.
    Funny, this is the biggest selling point for me. I'm not sure how quiet your helmet is but I can hear music just fine at 85+ with earplugs in. This reason alone is what keeps me recommending it to anyone looking for a BT unit. Also I'm fairly certain Sena increased their volume with the latest firmware update.

Last edited by 01xj; 07-22-13 at 12:56 PM.

Just an FYI on the SMH-10...

The noise levels are adequate below 60 mph with ear plugs, but on the highway sometimes I would like to have more.

It's a nice unit and a good alternative to ear phones, especially since cheapy foam ear plugs can block a lot more wind noise than most ear bud headphones.

...With the Sena she can thump the big button on the side of the SMH-5 (different on the 10, watch out) to talk to me.

As I understand it the 10 gets you primarily FM Radio and more range. I cared about neither. I have FM Radio. If she goes out of range, she's fallen off .
    So the SMH-10 doesn't have that talk button like the SMH-5 does? What is there instead? Would you say this is a major convenience? Also, are the "bigger" speakers for the 5 essentially what's on the 10? I might go that route since I dont really need FM radio if the unit can play music from my phone. My big thing is loudness and gps/music sync from my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by THE STUFF 187 View Post
    We sell many different headsets but this year we started selling the new Uclear force headsets & everyone loves them. They are military grade boomless (no mic near mouth - mic threw speaker unit) Fairly loud as well.

I checked out the Uclear's but they seem to be out of my price range...and I couldn't find many reviews on them.

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 07-22-13 at 01:02 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast