Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

BMW 1000 RR or Motard (DRZ)

Re: BMW 1000 RR or Motard (DRZ)

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    This!
    I know you're a suzuki humper, but that WR will put twice the smile on your face vs the drz, and probably 3 times the smile as your gixxer

And I've been down the owning 2 sportbikes road a few times...waist of money is all it is

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by R7; 04-02-14 at 05:21 PM.
    Yamaha

Maine huh... Email sent... On all 3

Don't buy a BMW.

KTM 690 SMC R

Expensive, but not nearly as expensive as the BMW.

Lifer

Budget about a grand for supermoto wheels, brakes, and all the hoo haw to convert a DRZ from dual-sport to silli-moto mode. Maybe more, but definitely not less.

Ask me how I know.

Will you have any issues street registering a WR450 in Mass? I know it's no problemo here in NH. Well, not much of a problem. Same for MA?

DRZ will not blow your hair back with power. But it is a straightforward 4-stroke street bike. And it has nearly infinite aftermarket support.

Btw, the S1000R is full of lameness. Way to much rake to really keep up in the twisties. Fück, only thing it's missing is a 240 rear and it's a Diavel

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Just buy a WR250X

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I have always wanted a motard. I don't know why. I really don't. I think they are cool and fun and very dangerous. Like in my head you clear jumps and stuff like that on a motard. Ideally I have it in my head as you take a motorcycle on places where typically motorcycles don't go. Maybe it's such a strong desire cause I never had one. Maybe I'll get it and regret it in a day. Who knows?
    I don't get this. Most 'tards are fairly low power machines. None are 193HP hyper sports. I would think it would be way easier to get killed on a 1000cc hypersport than on an overweight dirt-bike geared to top out at like 80.

At least.. that's what I was thinking when I handed the man the cash for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
    Btw, the S1000R is full of lameness. Way to much rake to really keep up in the twisties. Fück, only thing it's missing is a 240 rear and it's a Diavel
    Have you ridden it? Or are you pulling that from an article somewhere?

I think a Yamaha WR450 is going to be my next bike hands down.. i've been wanting one for so long since i rode a friends Suzuki DR650 and Kawasaki 250 KLX. Both had dirt tires and I didn't ride them on paved roads just dirt roads and some trails near my house and ever since I've been wanting something that can handle dirty work and then be able to ride home after. SOOO much fun!

That 03 WR450F..........is a Deal. Warp 9 kits are easily sourced and parts are still dime a dozen. I can't wait to ride mine...

I have a WR400 that's plated but is still running dirt wheels, tires etc. Its fun as all hell on the street with plenty of power. With a sumo setup it would be my primary around town bike.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I don't get this. Most 'tards are fairly low power machines. None are 193HP hyper sports. I would think it would be way easier to get killed on a 1000cc hypersport than on an overweight dirt-bike geared to top out at like 80.

At least.. that's what I was thinking when I handed the man the cash for mine.

Just to be clear, the supermoto would be 100% got stupid hooligan activities. Riding parks, jumps, sidewalks and other places that I probably shouldn't..

Mike is now suggesting a WR250 has the same power and it's even better than the DRZ because it's lighter and FI.

I like the bikes you guys posted on the links from CL. They are a bit far but I emailed all of them and got one response so far that seems promising.

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    If you're keeping the GSX-R, go look at the S1000R (one R, not two). It's the new naked 1000RR. It's kinda silly to have a second, full fairing, liter bike.

I might have fallen in love with it yesterday. Like, "anybody want to buy a low mile S4RS?" kinda love.
    I'm the guy that'll buy your S4Rs. I had a white w/red '07 that someone turned into recycling for me. I loved that messed up brat of a bike.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Lifer

Regarding the jumps and parks and whatever.. I must just be a little older and a little less dumb or something. Although I did use the Redbox machine in town while sitting on the bike the other day..

I like how crashable/droppable/smashable dual sports and sumos are. Get some barkbusters, a skid plate, some low profile turn signals and party on.

Mike is now suggesting a WR250 has the same power and it's even better than the DRZ because it's lighter and FI.
    It's a fine choice, I think; no firsthand experience. I assume you are talking WR250R or X.. not F. The only problem is the price. They go for more than beatup DRZs. And I'm a cheapskate.

Dooo eeit!

*wheeeeeee!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dove View Post

*wheeeeeee!
    looks like san fran? I was out there for a while for work and had my R1 and at times i wished it had jumping capabilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Dove View Post

*wheeeeeee!
    looks like san fran? I was out there for a while for work and had my R1 and at times i wished it had jumping capabilities!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    Husky motard.
    $$$$$ ?
    You're asking about a BMW S1000RR and you're concerned about money? I think you're considering the wrong bike then.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I'm currently bike less, but I'm 100% certain my next bike will be a street legal motard. Always wanted to try one and seems like the most fun given limited riding time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    You're asking about a BMW S1000RR and you're concerned about money? I think you're considering the wrong bike then.
    I'm not gonna spend the same on a motard I would for a liter bike obviously. Like I said I don't expect this to make sense to anyone but me.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure we have locked it down to a street legal motard... Officially in the market for one.

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    I'm currently bike less, but I'm 100% certain my next bike will be a street legal motard. Always wanted to try one and seems like the most fun given limited riding time.
    If it's going to be your only bike, get a DRZ. The rest of the bikes, sans a KTM 690 or Husky 6xx are gonna be pure bred race bikes.

I was all gassed up when I bought my Husky SM450R and it was a fahken rippah dood. It also needed 300-500 mile oil changes and valve checks every other oil change. The oil was $20 a liter and it needed 2 liters per change. I traded it for a GSXR, because it was going to be my only bike.

So be wise if you pick a motard for your only bike because you don't want a maintenance whore. You'll spend more time fixing it than riding it. Yeah a DRZ may be down on power but it's pretty much bullet proof and easy to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    Yeah a DRZ may be down on power but it's pretty much bullet proof and easy to maintain.
    And those are MUSTs for whatever I get

And those are MUSTs for whatever I get
    Then I wouldn't entertain anything but a DZR or a KTM 690. Anything else is going to be 300-500 mile oil changes, constant valve checks, etc.

Sure the DRZ is down a few horsepower but who cares. It's not gonna be a pain in the ass like the other bikes. 1500 mile changes, less frequent valve checks.

And guess what it has endless aftermarket. You can pick up a full exhaust, jet kit, 3x3 mod, etc and the thing will wake right up.

The extra 3-5 horse from the race bikes doesn't warrant the maintenance for street use.

EDIT: The reason I recommended the WR450 was because I thought you were using it for more of a hooligan role and less for commuting. The WR isn't a bad bike but it's still a race bike.

Last edited by LXnastynotch93; 04-03-14 at 11:22 AM.

Options are DRZ and WRs so far. I'm thinking Kens DRZ but I will need help converting to sumo

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast