Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

BMW 1000 RR or Motard (DRZ)

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Re: BMW 1000 RR or Motard (DRZ)

if you can find a Xr650r plated SUMO.. love mine..... was for sale but I love it so much i cant part with it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    if you can find a Xr650r plated SUMO.. love mine..... was for sale but I love it so much i cant part with it.
    That is something I would LOVE but it's rare

supermotojunkie.com when i had mine for sale i was getting bites from NC/ NJ/ MD

You will not regret it. Once I pull it out of the garage and get it sorted... you'd be welcome to take it for a spin...

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/4360976711.html

put on some new tires 350 new rims - 1500 maybe less and some other doo dads for 400
    Bang

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post

hmmmm......

I'll definitely take yours for a ride when you are good to go.

Nope.....they are around and people just hold on to them a bit more or longer

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    Then I wouldn't entertain anything but a DZR or a KTM 690. Anything else is going to be 300-500 mile oil changes, constant valve checks, etc.
    What about the WR250X? Husky SMR510? .. Plus the host of mild dual-sport street bikes that are somewhat easily converted.

I think the DRZ is a fine choice. It was offered in street legal SM form right from the factory for a while. But it isn't the only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    Was this on Craigslist recently? It had the airbox removed and just had a single air cleaner.

Was this on Craigslist recently? It had the airbox removed and just had a single air cleaner.
    about 6 weeks ago mine was posted.. no air box mod.
    Mine had black side plates

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    What about the WR250X? Husky SMR510? .. Plus the host of mild dual-sport street bikes that are somewhat easily converted.

I think the DRZ is a fine choice. It was offered in street legal SM form right from the factory for a while. But it isn't the only choice.
    Local dealer has a 2014 DRZ SM from the factory for $7500

Lifer

"For a while" as in it has been in production for a several years. This means solid aftermarket support and easy parts availability. Plus the non SM DRZ variants have been pretty much unchanged for 14 years!

My understanding is that several of the competitors have not had as long of a production run and/or are already out of production.

WR250 is going to be down on power and torque from the DRZ. The SMR510 is just as much of a maintenance whore as any of the other race bikes.

I think what you get with the DRZ is a good combination of power, reliability, and lower maintenance time.

I've raced rockets and I enjoy the hell out of my stock drz. It's got plenty to do everything. Buy a used 400sm (should be $4Kish) instead of converting, much easier.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Lifer

Easier, yes. Cheaper, no.

Lifer

WR250 is going to be down on power and torque from the DRZ. The SMR510 is just as much of a maintenance whore as any of the other race bikes.

I think what you get with the DRZ is a good combination of power, reliability, and lower maintenance time.
    I stand corrected re the husky. And I agree with you overall about the DRZ being a nice compromise. That's why I bought one.

But my point is it isn't the only choice. There are others Savas should consider.

I stand corrected re the husky. And I agree with you overall about the DRZ being a nice compromise. That's why I bought one.

But my point is it isn't the only choice. There are others Savas should consider.
    I agree there are other options, there's just slim pickings for an SM that's reliable, and easy to maintain. I think the KTM 690 is an excellent choice. Finding one is difficult though. Although there was one for sale a few days ago and if I can find it I'll post it but it might be sold.

Then I wouldn't entertain anything but a DZR or a KTM 690. Anything else is going to be 300-500 mile oil changes, constant valve checks, etc.

Sure the DRZ is down a few horsepower but who cares. It's not gonna be a pain in the ass like the other bikes. 1500 mile changes, less frequent valve checks.

And guess what it has endless aftermarket. You can pick up a full exhaust, jet kit, 3x3 mod, etc and the thing will wake right up.

The extra 3-5 horse from the race bikes doesn't warrant the maintenance for street use.

EDIT: The reason I recommended the WR450 was because I thought you were using it for more of a hooligan role and less for commuting. The WR isn't a bad bike but it's still a race bike.
    I wish people were more educated about bikes, their intended use, and their service intervals based on their intended use. Sure the service manuals say 10-15 hour oil changes on a YZ/WR/CRF/KXF, etc, etc under "Race" conditions. Race conditions for any type of dirtbike is usually WFO throttle and lots of clutch work, and that's what the service interval is based on. The truth is, you use the bike in normal everyday riding/road conditions, and you can double, even triple the service interval...and that's exactly what you have with the DRZ. Both take oil, both take an oil filter, so for your average everyday SM rider, that cost/theory is a wash.
    As for the valves, I can't say anything about brands that aren't blue (Yamaha), but I have never once had to adjust valves on any of my 4-stroke Yamaha's. I had an 04 YZ450F that I bought new, road it on the ice for 2 seasons, raced at loudon for 2 full seasons, countless trackdays, a 2 day trackday at VIR with WFO throttle for 30 minutes every hour...and probably some trail riding on top of it all that I forgot about. Never once needed a valve adjustment when I owned it.

The 3-5 hp makes me LOL 10-15 is more realistic, and not to mention the race bikes have much less pork to carry around. There's a chart somewhere converting weight into HP...something like it'll "feel" like 1 hp per ever 7lbs of added/reduced weight?

The maintenance theory is opposite with sportbikes. Sure, the service manual on current sportbikes says change the oil+filter every 4,000 miles of road use...if you take the same bike and use it for racing, are you going to change the oil every 4,000 miles? Of course not!

Yamaha

I'm gonna finally throw some sense into this thread.

HP4

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I wish people were more educated about bikes, their intended use, and their service intervals based on their intended use. Sure the service manuals say 10-15 hour oil changes on a YZ/WR/CRF/KXF, etc, etc under "Race" conditions. Race conditions for any type of dirtbike is usually WFO throttle and lots of clutch work, and that's what the service interval is based on. The truth is, you use the bike in normal everyday riding/road conditions, and you can double, even triple the service interval...and that's exactly what you have with the DRZ. Both take oil, both take an oil filter, so for your average everyday SM rider, that cost/theory is a wash.
    As for the valves, I can't say anything about brands that aren't blue (Yamaha), but I have never once had to adjust valves on any of my 4-stroke Yamaha's. I had an 04 YZ450F that I bought new, road it on the ice for 2 seasons, raced at loudon for 2 full seasons, countless trackdays, a 2 day trackday at VIR with WFO throttle for 30 minutes every hour...and probably some trail riding on top of it all that I forgot about. Never once needed a valve adjustment when I owned it.

The 3-5 hp makes me LOL 10-15 is more realistic, and not to mention the race bikes have much less pork to carry around. There's a chart somewhere converting weight into HP...something like it'll "feel" like 1 hp per ever 7lbs of added/reduced weight?

The maintenance theory is opposite with sportbikes. Sure, the service manual on current sportbikes says change the oil+filter every 4,000 miles of road use...if you take the same bike and use it for racing, are you going to change the oil every 4,000 miles? Of course not!
    I can tell you right away that bikes like the KTM 450SMR, any of the smaller displacement Huskies, Husabergs, and especially the Aprilias don't make good street bikes. Yes you may get away with not changing the oil at the designated service intervals, however if it was your bike would you want to risk it? Plus the race bikes DO NOT like to cruise in a constant gear, at a constant rpm, they actually hate it. They don't like lugging around town at a low RPM either. They don't have electronic fans that kick on when you're sitting at a light.

They are meant to be ridden WFO to redline, backed into a turn, and then rip through the gears again, on repeat.

And again you're right, the DRZ is down 10-15 horsepower in stock trim to these race bikes. So pick up an exhaust, do the 3x3 mod, a good air filter, and jet it properly. Then it'll put out almost as much power as a race bike. You know what a DRZ has that a race bike doesn't? The ability to cruise in a constant gear at a constant RPM, reasonable maintenance intervals (including valve checks), and an electric fan for sitting at lights when the bike gets hot. It's a better overall package.

I'll add this in, my buddy has a 525 EXC that's been turned into a supermoto. He does oil changes every 1500 or so, and it's not too bad for the bike. I think that might be one more bike that you might be able to do street duty on and be fine.

I would stay away from anything Husky, Aprilia, or the SMR KTM's especially. Maybe a WR450F, a KTM 525, 630, 690, and of course the DRZ. But that's really stretching it, and remember none of them are going to be as reliable or maintenance friendly as the DRZ.

You can mod a drz to make 450 power but you can't shed the extra 40lbs it drags around. Ive ridden a handful of sm bikes and the conclusion ive come up with is that 450 mx based trail bikes are the best. 6xx bikes like the 625,690 ktms and 650 hondas are just to bulky and don't give you the dirt bike feel, plus even though they have more power they don't have that SNAP throttle response you Get from a 450 with an fcr. Straight mx bikes also suck because they have short gear ratios and don't have a big enough magnet for the stator so must people have to run dead loss electrical systems. So that narrows it down to wr450f, crf450x, klx450 (mega rare) and ktm 450 or 5xxexc. I almost bought a 530exc because of the 6 speed and extra power but I stuck with a wr450. The fact is theres no proof the wr is any less reliable than the drz. Yamaha valves DONT MOVE. However if your a honda fanboy you can run a crfx with a trx piston (extra ring) and kibble white valves and get similar results as the wr.

Here's a picture for motivation

Last edited by repete513; 04-03-14 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    here's the pictures
    I wish that was an SM and not an S.

Sav your deal of 7500 from the dealer sounds pretty shitty considering MSRP is 7200....

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Local dealer has a 2014 DRZ SM from the factory for $7500
    I bought the same bike for $6.2K, 0 miles. Call Jayma at Cycle Design in Phillipston.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

I can tell you right away .
    I can tell you right away also, that you have no first hand experience with any of the bikes you just mentioned. I've ridden a DRZ400, I've owned a couple YZ450F's SM, a couple WR450F's SM, and Aprilia SXV550, KTM 450SX and a KTM 525 exc......every one of them ridden as a SM.
    Yeah, I started out changing the oil per the manual..well because I read on the internet that's what was best..,only to pull clean oil out ever single time I changed it. So I doubled the interval, same results...tripled the interval and the oil was finally starting to look like it didn't come fresh from the can. We can argue all day about my first hand experience vs what you've read on the internet, we are entitled our own opinions.

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I can tell you right away also, that you have no first hand experience with any of the bikes you just mentioned. I've ridden a DRZ400, I've owned a couple YZ450F's SM, a couple WR450F's SM, and Aprilia SXV550, KTM 450SX and a KTM 525 exc......every one of them ridden as a SM.
    Yeah, I started out changing the oil per the manual..well because I read on the internet that's what was best..,only to pull clean oil out ever single time I changed it. So I doubled the interval, same results...tripled the interval and the oil was finally starting to look like it didn't come fresh from the can. We can argue all day about my first hand experience vs what you've read on the internet, we are entitled our own opinions.
    That's cool and all but the bottom line is the DRZ is more practical than any of the race bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    I wish that was an SM and not an S.

Sav your deal of 7500 from the dealer sounds pretty shitty considering MSRP is 7200....
    I don't remember the exact price but it was around there

They make street-biased tires that will fit on the non-SM versions of the DRZ.
    Last year I put Shinko 705 tires (mfr claims 80% street, 20% dirt) on my DR350, and they stick really darn good on pavement. They've got great reviews for <650cc thumpers.