Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

BMW 1000 RR or Motard (DRZ)

Re: BMW 1000 RR or Motard (DRZ)

I would go with full Sumo setup no matter what though

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Correct me if im wrong, but doesent the s have a bigger carb and weigh less or something? Having a set of knobies to swap out kicks ass too. Versatility is one of the best parts about having a dirt bike. Less than an hour I can choose from sm street, sm race, flat track or motocross.

Quote Originally Posted by repete513 View Post
    Correct me if im wrong, but doesent the s have a bigger carb and weigh less or something? Having a set of knobies to swap out kicks ass too. Versatility is one of the best parts about having a dirt bike. Less than an hour I can choose from sm street, sm race, flat track or motocross.
    That's the DRZ400E model - which comes from the factory as dirt-only, like Ken's. You need to add the lights/switches/etc to pass inspection to plate it. If you do plan on getting a 2nd set of wheels to switch back and forth between street and dirt trims, street tires on the 21/18's would be easier and less hassle than on the SM, as your gearing/chain would be completely different, in addition to spacers for the wheels and calipers.

Ken's bike would be good + Sumo kit

Or a KTM EXC 500 with Sumo Kit and a step ladder...

BMW 1000 RR or Motard (DRZ)-_57-jpg

2009 Suzuki DRZ400Sm Supermoto
    91.5 total miles
    White with factory barbed wire graphics
    JE Big bore kit installed 434 cc
    Full Yoshimura RS-4 Dual exhaust system installed
    Tires have 98% of the tread left on them.

clear title in hand.
    Bike is in showroom condition. Never laid down or scratched.
    Bike runs and handles awsome. Just moved and have no time or place to ride.
    Motorcycle is located in Winnsboro, Texas.

Price:
    US $5,500.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DR-Z-...US_motorcycles

Last edited by duganc1717; 04-03-14 at 07:27 PM.

Texas? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Texas? Lol
    They have these things called shipping companies, they bring merchandise from one location to another.........

Seriously though, plenty of people, even on NESR have bought bikes on site unseen.
    Offer the seller $4800, pay $500 to ship it and you have a 2009 DRZ400SM with 91 miles, plus a big bore kit, Yoshi exhaust, etc

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I wish people were more educated about bikes, their intended use, and their service intervals based on their intended use. Sure the service manuals say 10-15 hour oil changes on a YZ/WR/CRF/KXF, etc, etc under "Race" conditions. Race conditions for any type of dirtbike is usually WFO throttle and lots of clutch work, and that's what the service interval is based on. The truth is, you use the bike in normal everyday riding/road conditions, and you can double, even triple the service interval...and that's exactly what you have with the DRZ. Both take oil, both take an oil filter, so for your average everyday SM rider, that cost/theory is a wash.
    As for the valves, I can't say anything about brands that aren't blue (Yamaha), but I have never once had to adjust valves on any of my 4-stroke Yamaha's. I had an 04 YZ450F that I bought new, road it on the ice for 2 seasons, raced at loudon for 2 full seasons, countless trackdays, a 2 day trackday at VIR with WFO throttle for 30 minutes every hour...and probably some trail riding on top of it all that I forgot about. Never once needed a valve adjustment when I owned it.

The 3-5 hp makes me LOL 10-15 is more realistic, and not to mention the race bikes have much less pork to carry around. There's a chart somewhere converting weight into HP...something like it'll "feel" like 1 hp per ever 7lbs of added/reduced weight?

The maintenance theory is opposite with sportbikes. Sure, the service manual on current sportbikes says change the oil+filter every 4,000 miles of road use...if you take the same bike and use it for racing, are you going to change the oil every 4,000 miles? Of course not!
    Riding a motard on the street IS like riding under race conditions. You're at WOT all the damn time. Since they don't make any power, you wring its neck everywhere you go.

If you need a sumo wheel set-up, let me know....I'm almost at the point of parting out my road racing parts.

At a minimum, I can give you an awesome price on my spare wheels with a set of take-offs. Stock hubs, excel loops if I recall.

And I still say WR450.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    DRZ will not blow your hair back with power.
    Not only that, it won't move a single hair on your head. It's perfect for rhode island and new hampshire!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Jay your wheels will fit any bike? DRZ WR etc? And are you saying WR250 or bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Jay your wheels will fit any bike? DRZ WR etc? And are you saying WR250 or bigger?
    They're crf450 hubs, I'm honestly not sure what they fit.

And I say wr450, not the 250. I've ridden a wr450, drz400, and crf450. I would not want my crf450 for anything besides wide fucking open or wide fucking shut on the brakes. It doesn't like to cruise. I really just don't like the looks of the drz and the throttle seriously lacks snappiness. Yes it will wheelie, pop curbs, and be fun....but it is not a 450. WR is right in-between, the one I rode I liked a lot. A real lot. See picture below of said bike.

On the other hand, this picture was taken a week or two before he looped it on Newbury street and smashed right into a parked Mercedes. This is why I don't have a motard on the street.

I agree with R7's comments on the maintenance. The difference in maintenance I need riding trails in the woods where I am not WOT all the time and on the track are two completely different monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    On the other hand, this picture was taken a week or two before he looped it on Newbury street and smashed right into a parked Mercedes. This is why I don't have a motard on the street.
    Stupid Mercedes.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Saw that WR on Craigs FS.........

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Saw that WR on Craigs FS.........
    My buddy sold it beginning of last season. If it's floating around still I would look into it, it's a decently sorted bike. I would have done a few things different in the looks and front brake department, but overall a good ride.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    ...front brake department...
    Like what? For some reason I have a strange obsession with improving the snot out of the braking on my DRZ. I'm not worthy as a rider and I'm not sure its really required. But regale me with stories of hot brake setups.

My next street bike will be a DRZ or similar. At that point I'll be going through the same battle you are all having here... deal with the slight sluggishness of the DRZ for reliability, or go with somehting a little more aggressive.

I think going the CRF route is just kinda dumb... the idea of the 450yamaha that fits in the middle intrigues me though.

For any of them though, lots of fun, just stay off the highway.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Like what? For some reason I have a strange obsession with improving the snot out of the braking on my DRZ. I'm not worthy as a rider and I'm not sure its really required. But regale me with stories of hot brake setups.
    Beringer 6 piston...money, but god damn. The set-up on his bike was bigger rotor, stock front caliper with mount kit. It works.

Here is a DEAL........................

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/4406943280.html

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Not only that, it won't move a single hair on your head. It's perfect for rhode island and new hampshire!
    Hold on. So you actually suggest I don't get your bike? Because 5 people told me to buy yours over any DRZ I'll find on Craigslist even if it's already set up.

??? I was mocking how slow the DRZ is here. I sold my 690 last fall. It was wicked faaast compared to a DRZ, and sorted is putting it mildly. I can't believe some kid bought it to put cosmetic upgrades on and never see the track again, but money talks.

Paul_E_D

Well I don't want a per say slow bike. But I never had a motard.
    A lot of people suggest I get your bike and convert it. Do you think that is a good solution for me or no?

I don't have a bike for sale... Do you mean Ken's? FWIW, I think the DRZ is fine. I was just bustin balls.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I don't have a bike for sale... Do you mean Ken's? FWIW, I think the DRZ is fine. I was just bustin balls.
    Ugh yes. Brain isn't working. I meant kens bike. Blah

Lifer

I love slow, cheap bikes. It is pretty much all I own, all I've ever owned. Realize that when you read any advice I give.