Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

bmw r1100s and honda vfr

bmw r1100s and honda vfr

Have been thinking of upgrading for a bit and have landed on deciding between these two bikes - 1999/04 bmw r1100s and fifth or sixth generation honda vfr.

Was wondering if anyone had experience with both together or one another. Ideally I'd be taking it across country and then commuting, perhaps daily, in los angeles. I'm 6'3 240 and if someone has one and my size, it be great to hear about fit as well.

Been hearing different things about them on their respective boards and would like another opinion, yours . Both seem to have a good following with good amount of information online.

Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: bmw r1100s and honda vfr

In light of your post, I have three words for you:

F

J

R

It will not dissapoint and you can even try mine out if you're curious.

For cross country, I doubt you'll still "love" the VFR....can't speak on the BMW, however.

I've got a friend with an FJR1300, and I refer to it as the 'Turbo Tub' with much respect. Smooth, quiet, effortless gearbox, decent handling, and freaking deceptive to ride behind. We'll be cruising along, and the only warning I get that he's decided to twist the right hand grip is the sudden realization that his plate's getting hard to read as he shrinks away. Damn thing can GO.

Lifer

You don't want an FJR if you are going to commute in LA. You want something narrow that you can split lanes. I think either are great bikes and since you are buying used I would test ride the ones you see to see how you fit. My friend has an older '94 VFR 750 that he loves. Has bee bullet proof. I am sure you saw this:
    BMW R1100S, Ducati ST4, Honda VFR800 Interceptor and Triumph Sprint ST - Road Test & Review - Sport Rider

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Everybody to the limit!

I know someone who's selling an ST1300. I think it's an 03 or an 04. Ridiculously low miles IIRC. Her husband just died, it was his bike and he babied it, she's looking to sell it to someone who will appreciate it as he loved it and would want it to be ridden...he used to commute back and forth from NH to boston on a ZX11...12 months out of the year. If it might fit the bill, let me know and I'll get some more info.

I had an R1100S just before getting my K bike. It is a great bike, but with plenty of BMW quirks to it and if you aren't used to them, they can be off putting.

Rev the engine at a stop and the bike lunges to the side. Just a by product of the (drivetrain?) design, but nothing you feel at speed. I noticed it when I first got the bike, but not really much after that.

The switchgear is universally dreaded by the print media, but rarely by anyone who actually lives with the bike.

The R will be down on power compared to the VFR, but not by a whole lot.
    The engine is quite fun though, fun to keep it in the thick of the powerband.

There's a potential issue with the shaft splines failing. I'm not sure if its more prevalent during certain years of the bike or not. I've only ever known of one person who had the problem and it was on a 2002.

The factory bags are a little big, but they work well and hold a good amount for longer trips. Optional (smaller) City Lids ae nice for shorter trips (weekend/overnights).

Some engines drink a bit of oil, maybe 1/2 quart per 6000 miles.
    This wasnt a big deal for me.

The Telelever front end is great for sport touring(imo). Enough feedback for the street, but also with anti-dive when you get hard on the brakes.

Why did I get rid of mine? My dad went from an '02 R1150R to a '06 K1200GT (w/153 hp) and I was too immature to handle being that far down on power to him. My future doesn't look so bright, since he just traded in his '06 GT for an '08 K1200S for pretty much the same reason.

Kevin
    2011 KTM 530 EXC
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter S
    2013 BMW R1200GS

High maintenance priss

VFR is a great all-around bike...so good, infact, that it become "ho-hum" boring. Mine had a Corbin seat and factory luggage (6th gen). It was quick enough, handled decently out of the box and sounded great. A little down on power if expecting roll-on accel when 2up. Two things that put me off: VTEC and LBS. The 06+ VFR has a different ECU w/ changed engagement. I had an 02 w/ PCII, 02 bypass and Staintune pipes and it still featured a prominent surge at 7k which I hated. I do most maintenance myself and the LBS and VTEC also create a bit more work than usual. Solid resale value. Lots of guys swear by the last gear-driven VFRs (98-01?). I've said it before: if you only have the choice of 1 bike, VFR is one of the top picks.

I'd suggest looking at the Triumph Sprint also...similar to the VFR, but w/ more powerful 1050 triple. Handling/etc...the same or better. ABS is optional, no LBS. Fit and finish a bit lower quality than the Honda though. Resale value sucks, but good for you if looking used.

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    The 06+ VFR has a different ECU w/ changed engagement.
    The VTEC feature on the VFR is oil pressure activated. In reality, it should be called VTOPC. The surge cannot be smoothed out or changed. Nature of the beast.

The Honda VTEC equipped cars are a different story. Still, the surge is a characteristic of the cam change.

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    The VTEC feature on the VFR is oil pressure activated. In reality, it should be called VTOPC. The surge cannot be smoothed out or changed. Nature of the beast.

The Honda VTEC equipped cars are a different story. Still, the surge is a characteristic of the cam change.
    They changed the engagement point (lowered to 6400?) and i believe the fueling @ the crossover to help ease the transition. Thats all I was referring to.

Don't count out a Ducati ST, the ST3 is a sweet motor, ABS is available, the 04+ models have awesome headlights, the factory seat is good for distance riding (much to my surprise) and they handle like a proper Duc. If you want more power and are willing to sacrifice a touch of low end torque, there is always the ST4S.

I'm 6'3" 250lbs and ride a 1999 VFR which I love. Don't worry about the power, it has plenty for both touring and commuting, its true that you won't be able to outdrag litre bikes but it is very capable in the twisties and can run at 90 all day long without being too buzzy. It is a bit heavy but the weight is so low that I hardly notice it (that and the fact that I came from an even heavier bike mean this feels positively light) and the trade off is the overall stability on the highway. The riding position is pretty good for me although I may think about Heli bars if I was going across country. The internet support/mods for these bikes is nothing short of amazing, from hard bags to scottoilers to throttle locks, everybody made a version for the VFR. The Vfour engine is one of the best sounding machines ever (triumph triples may be the winner for me).
    A couple of little things that you may want to know however. Besides basic stuff (changing oil, brake pads ect.) you will probably have to get a shop to work on it, as it is complex. the upside is that the engine is bullet proof so there should be little reason to bring it to the shop.
    The stock seats suck, I can ride for 6 or 7 hours on it but it takes a toll, I just ordered a Sargent and would suggest the same for a long trip.
    The fueling on the 98-00 can be a little jerky on/off at low speed (nothing dangerous mind you, just annoying).
    Stock tires are crap, the dunlops I have on mine are junk that take some heating up to work very well, definitely changing to Battleaxes or Michelins.
    VFR's hold their value so it is often hard to find a good deal on them.

If you want a SPORT tourer you really cannot go wrong on the VFR. If you want a tourer then go with the FJR or ST.
    Oh and to be fair the Triumph Sprints look sweet so definitely check those out as well.

I piss excellence!

The fjr would be a good bike but I agree and think its a bit big to use as an everyday commuter in la. I don't plan on crossing the country more than once on a bike but hope to do some longer day trips around la when I'm there.

Thanks slowrider about the info on the r1100s. I've been reading about the splines and problems related with them and i wonder how much is talk and how much is real. I like the look, shaft drive, and have a jetta diesel with some quarks so don't mind that aspect of it. I do wonder about reliability with it.

Thanks Keeena and zachary6 about the vfr info and feel the same way about them -great, solid, a bit bland (personally) - but I don''t think that would be a bad thing being on a grad school budget. I do agree about the seat and would switch that out. I did find a 07 leftover in anniversary colors that is very tempting just because of the high resale value and I really like the look of it. Its also been tough to find a used 98-02 pre-vtec model.

I do like that there a large online community about the vfr and r1100s. my above car has a good one its been unbelievably helpful in maintenance. I am not really worried about pull away power from either of the bikes. I know its not a liter but its not what I'm looking for. If it can do 70-90 decently that matters more than off the line acceleration.

Saw that review but never really considered the sprint, how are the older ones? I thought they changed for the better in recent years, but I'll sit/try and find one to take out as well this weekend.

Last edited by phishfood; 08-05-08 at 09:29 AM.

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by phishfood View Post
    Saw that review but never really considered the sprint, how are the older ones? I thought they changed for the better in recent years, but I'll sit/try and find one to take out as well this weekend.
    You can pickup leftover 06 (new) Sprints for ~$8500/9500 (non-ABS/ABS); some 07 leftovers for ~1k more. They are out there if you search. '05-06 has 1 or 2 recalls; make sure rear suspension bolt has been replaced by dealer. '07 features a few minor updates: different ECM for faster cold start, higher bars, taller screen.

I don't know much about the pre-05 (955cc). But it is the model thats reviewed in the linked article and it did top their S/T test (FWIW).

Check out Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Last edited by keeena; 08-05-08 at 11:22 AM.

People love the Triumph sprint, the RS/ST 2000-2004 I think were pretty reliable albeit a little on the ugly side. They definitely solved this issue with the 2005- models as they are very pretty with the single sided swing arm (like the VFR) and the sweet under tail exhaust (supposed to be a little hot), big powerful triple that puts out 25hp more than the VFR and comfortable ergos. Build quality is supposed to leave a little to be desired but overall very reliable.
    Just what I have heard.

I piss excellence!

I had an '03 VFR, and it was a great bike. Definitely want to switch the seat, but you don't have to worry about it being smooth at 90! One of my first impressions of the bike was how smooth and effortless the bike accelerated. It was smooth at 120, actually....I really had no complaints...and on mine the VTEC surge wasn't too bad, I think I learned just not to hover at that RPM point where it engaged. I don't know much about the BMW, but I'll echo zachary's statement the vf leans more sport for a sport-tourer.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Thanks slowrider about the info on the r1100s. I've been reading about the splines and problems related with them and i wonder how much is talk and how much is real. I like the look, shaft drive, and have a jetta diesel with some quarks so don't mind that aspect of it. I do wonder about reliability with it.
    Honestly, I think its mostly overblown internet stuff (until it happens to you). I never had an issue with my bike except for topping off the oil.

+1 on the 05+* Sprint ST's though. I ride with a guy that has one and its been pretty solid. Killer engine and decent comfort. The build quality is a shade under the VFR and R1100S, but picking up a leftover '06/'07 is great value.

Last edited by slowrider; 08-05-08 at 04:59 PM. Reason: *Whatever year the Sprint ST got the redesign
    Kevin
    2011 KTM 530 EXC
    2013 BMW R1200GS

+1 on the "Turbo Tub" haha, great nickname.
    Just my .02 but I would say FJR or Sprint. I don't personally think the bike is too big for commuting in LA. I understand that traffic can/is bad (yes, i've been in it) but it sounds like a better choice. They are FAST 99.9ft/lbs or something and 150hp. It is surprisingly agile, and with bags off relatively slender. My father and his best friend both have FJR's and do plently of long trips with them along with commute in the heaviest traffic MA and really Boston have to offer. Plus, the seat is pretty good so that would save a little cost and you wouldn't have to change out handlebars. However, I am obviously a little biased. After sitting on a VFR I was not impressed by the comfort on the so-called sport/tourer and the Vtec is a major turnoff. The Sprint gets rave reviews and the new model looks great. Head over to SecondWind BMW and they will convince you on the Spring haha.

can I change my vote - get the new VFR

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...-casual-shoes/

Kevin
    2011 KTM 530 EXC
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    can I change my vote - get the new VFR

Honda VFR gets V5 engine - Motorcycle News

Wow, just WOW!!
    I may have found my next bike.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I wondered if those rumors of this were true on vfrd and wow are they ever. thats a great looking bike (minus the signal lights on the mirrors and no under tail exhaust) + a honda shaft drive. maybe I'm going to have to wait for this and buy that vw camper van instead

also sat on a sprint st yesterday at riverside, it was nice... but then I got on the 848 and that really great.... too tempting.

Last edited by phishfood; 08-10-08 at 08:13 AM.

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by 97BladeRider View Post
    Photoshop.

I'll believe it when I see it on Honda's site.

Honda VFR gets V5 engine
    By MCN Newsdesk

New bikes

07 August 2008 09:50

Honda has pulled out all the stops to showcase the finest technology ever seen on a road bike with the all-new VFR1000F and touring-spec VFR1000GT motorcycles.

Along with the sexiest VFR yet, Honda has finally succumbed and given us a road motorcycle with a V5 engine derived from the successful 990cc RC211V MotoGP machine.

If that's not enough, they've also linked it to a Ferrari-style push-button gearchange for the fastest, smoothest gearchange yet seen, running through shaft drive with a trademark VFR single-sided swingarm.

To see the full story on these and more of Honda's 2009 motorcycles, pick up a copy of this weeks MCN (August 6), out now.
    That's a lot of detail for a photochop...I'll bet a nickel this is the real deal.

Kevin
    2011 KTM 530 EXC
    2013 BMW R1200GS