Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BMW S1000RR

BMW S1000RR

I have bought over the years 25 or so new bikes, no joke. Some manufactures, Ducati for example have done a good job and show their appreciation for their customers by providing nice after sales perks. Yam, Honda, Suz, Kaw, not so much. Maybe because they are huge and don't give a shit because they know they will still sell 100,000,000 YZF-XR Ninjas. Yamaha I think is the best out of the big Japanese Four and I will continue to buy their bikes.

Anyway....

I took a gamble some months back a put a deposit down on the new BMW s1000rr. Since that time, not a week has gone by that I have not received either a email letting me know how production is going or the latest information, or a FedEx package on my door step with posters, magazines and a whole host of other free stuff. BMW is doing an unbelievable pushing this bike, and it looks like it might be living up to all the hype.

Email from today:

Dear BMW S 1000 RR owners,

We have a few more press quotes from the intro of the street-legal S 1000 RR at Portimao , Portugal – including some from the U.S. and Canadian motorcycle press. The verdict is uniformly positive, with journalists agreeing that the BMW makes more power than any other bike in the category, yet with controllability and safety to such a degree that not a single accident occurred during the first week of the press event. Also enclosed for your edification is an attachment with Nate Kern’s personal judgment, interesting for us as he’s been riding the preproduction bike all year but this too is his first time on the stock version which we will all be admiring in our driveways in a couple of months.

One final reminder: the period for Pre-Sell orders will end on December 31. OK, maybe you don’t want your buddies to be able to have the same bragging rights as you, but why not get into the holiday spirit and let them share the experience. Have them go to: http://www.bmwplanetpower.com/?page_id=49 to download a pre-sell form, and point them to your local BMW dealer. Otherwise you might have to ride alone, and that’s no fun either, is it?

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/bmw-s-1000-rr

The Verdict: “The engine, frankly, is staggering. It revs eagerly at a standstill, promising much with its quick-fire snarls, and once you’re rolling its thrust is immense. Comparing figures between bikes is a wasteful exercise as no one seems to measure things in quite the same way, but BMW says its bike has the best power to weight ratio of all the superbikes, and when you open the throttle at the start of a long straight like Portimao’s, the way the bike fires itself up the track like a missile suggests that’s probably true.” - Kevin Ash

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/65/510...irst-Ride.aspx

The Verdict: “As it happens, I personally just returned from riding all seven factory World Superbikes at the some Portimao circuit less than three weeks ago, making for a perfect comparison. To give to an example of the new BMW’s engine performance, my top speed on Ben Spies’ factory Yamaha R1 was 301 km/h (187 mph) at the end of the massive front straight, and according to the data on the stock S1000RR I clocked high 280s with ease and a peak of 289 km/h (180 mph), a mere 12 Km/h (7 mph) down on the world championship-winning machine. To say this is impressive is an understatement. These speeds on the stock Beemer were also equally as quick as the factory-supported Kawasaki WSBK I rode at the same time. Unreal!” - Steve Atlas (full disclosure: Steve rode one of the BMW bikes as part of the San Jose BMW team in the MotoST at Daytona)

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-88974.html

The Verdict: “Purists might decry the litany of electronic rider aids available on BMW's first ultra-sportbike, but it's notable that not a single S1000RR hit the ground after two launch waves and some 80 journalists – even the Brits and Italians, who have a reputation for bending bikes, remained unscathed.” – Kevin Duke

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/65/510...irst-Ride.aspx

The Verdict: “Without shooting myself in the foot before we get the BMW back to the U.S. for a proper shootout, I can tell you this bike impressed more than any production motorcycle in recent memory. Utterly amazing power harnessed by a communicative chassis and very adjustable suspension, plus high-tech electronics, make for a bike that should no doubt push the envelope of liter-class machines worldwide. And all this for a base price of $13,800.” - Steve Atlas

http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2009/...mpression.html

The Verdict: “Riding this BMW felt really different from anything else that we’ve previously ridden. Yes, the S1000RR is a remarkable bike – not just because of the outright performance it offers, but also for the ease with which that performance can be accessed by the rider.”

http://www.superbike.co.uk/news/BMW_...ws_291880.html

The Verdict: “Generally speaking the best 'feeling' I got from the S1000RR though was its agility. It doesn't seem to carry the weight it should at a claimed 206kg fully 'wet' with fuel which in my view stands it apart from the Suzuki GSX-R1000. With the technology and the decent-spec chassis components it's a serious contender.” – Jon Pearso

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne.../?R=EPI-120206

The Verdict: “The over-riding impression so far is that the S1000RR is very, very quick – in fact it’s probably the quickest of any bike I’ve ridden here, and that includes all the Japanese superbikes, KTM’s RC8R, Ducati’s 1198 and more. At the end of the straight I’m just getting into top gear with the speedo registering well over 270kph.” – Trevor Franklin

http://cmgonline.com/content/view/1883/80/

The Verdict: “I just stepped off the new BMW S1000RR at the bike's press launch held at the Autódromo Internacional do Algarve in Portimao, Portugal and all I can say is whatever preconceived notions you had about BMW motorcycles, you can forget with this bike.” - Costa Mouzouris

Motorcycle Consumer News ( UK ):

Click link to the MCN RR Review in full resolution…

http://www.rainbowmotorcycles.com/MC...%20S1000RR.pdf

http://www.motoblog.it/post/21812/te...-bmw-s-1000-rr

The Verdict: “The bike is strong and not just on the track of Portimao we were all very surprised by the power and exaggerated by the excellent operation of the traction control.” – Lorenzo Baroni (translated from the Italian)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yellow light, green light, heart stands still...

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Great hype review. I can't wait to hear your personal review.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Re: BMW S1000RR

Must... resist... urge... to... throw... down... deposit...

CCS/LRRS #83

Girls DO ride bikes :) gixxersixxer's Avatar

So jealous

2010 tC
    no bike

Nate Kerns' team was pitted in the garage next to us last October in Daytona.Got a pretty good look at the S1000rr in gun metal gray that was just sitting there,bone stock.....Quite a bike! Looks like it could have been built by one of the "big 4" japanese companies.

You can try it out for $675-$690. at Skip Barber Riding schools or Calif. Super Bike schools now http://www.superbikeschool.com/sign-...ng-details.php

Two things help getting older - BMW'S and Metamucil

Quote Originally Posted by 560smr View Post
    Nate Kerns' team was pitted in the garage next to us last October in Daytona.Got a pretty good look at the S1000rr in gun metal gray that was just sitting there,bone stock.....Quite a bike! Looks like it could have been built by one of the "big 4" japanese companies.
    Yeah. I like the look of the big four too. Ducati, Aprilia, MotoGuzzi, MV Agusta

bad ass bike, congrats

did u consider the RSV at all?

2006 Red Triumph Daytona 675

want.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

I guess that's how you load a bike?

I like the key to unlock the tailgate - I guess that's the key to his truck as well.

What color did you get Pete?

I miss ya Beet....ya Git!

Quote Originally Posted by fivetoez View Post
    What color did you get Pete?
    Motorsports. Blue, white and red

Should be in March I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge K View Post
    I like the key to unlock the tailgate - I guess that's the key to his truck as well.
    Chris is a good friend of a few people on here. Maybe in jest but the implication he's somehow a thief isn't all that funny.

His tailgate is broken because he accidentally lowered his 5th wheel trailer onto it which he tours the country with as BMW's Factory Freestyle rider.

Boston --> San Diego

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUFsQ...layer_embedded
    New riding gear for women as well -

I calculated it today and BMW has spent over $200.00 in FedEx postage alone during the last six months sending all the pre order posters, videos and gifts to me. I think there were 622 pre orders in the US, Unbelievable...

Today I received a package with two custom key chains with a actual rocker arm attached. I can't belive how small they are.

Oh yea, the bikes in, picking it up Saturday.

I hate all of you for two reasons!

1. This makes me want the S1000RR something hardcore!

2. This makes me excited and want to ride tomorrow, say screw the salt, sand, ice, and slush and ride anyways!

i say one more month then full time riding is here!

Nivek

"if you arn't riding like your on rails, then your sight seeing"

Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    I guess that's how you load a bike?
    He did that right in front of me after a show at NHMS (Ducati Revs New England). I think he was there for the first NRNE (?) Impressive skills on a new bike.
    I want to ride one of those - Rumor has it Fishtail Riding School will have a couple from Max BMW.

Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

UPCOMING EVENTS:
    Fishtail Riding School Seminar
    NH Store, this Saturday

This Saturday, February 20th at 10:00 AM, Tim Hafner of Fishtail Riding School will present a seminar on the ins and outs of riding on the track with Fishtail Riding School. Fishtail is much more than a track day, offering unparalleled track time and personal on-track and classroom instruction during their school events.

Tim's seminar in our NH store will cover the basics of preparing for a track day and give you a sense of what a typical experience is like for riders of all abilities. If you've never ridden your BMW on a track before, this is a great way to improve your skills in a controlled environment with professional instructors.

This year, Fishtail instructors will be riding the new S 1000 RR provided by MAX BMW Motorcycles, starting with the first track day on April 26, 2010 at NH Motor Speedway.

For information on Fishtail Riding School and to see all of the 2010 dates, visit www.fishtailridingschool.com.

Second Wind called me back tonight to confirm what you had mentioned in my thread yesterday.

Mine won't be here until early-mid June!

Good thing I've still got the K1200R...

2010 BMW S1000RR - Soon to be track dedicated!
    2006 BMW K1200 R
    2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i - Trackbike - SOLD
    2003 Kawasaki EX 250 - Hers
    2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD - Sport

I can still walk around in my garage, I need more toys...

Quote Originally Posted by bmrider View Post
    Second Wind called me back tonight to confirm what you had mentioned in my thread yesterday.

Mine won't be here until early-mid June!

Good thing I've still got the K1200R...

Are you okay with the delay and are locked in with your dealer? There are probably dealers with bikes on the floor with your options, I would look around.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Draggo View Post
    Are you okay with the delay and are locked in with your dealer? There are probably dealers with bikes on the floor with your options, I would look around.

I'll still have the K 1200R to ride and the extra month and a 1/2 or 2 mos. will give me a chance to sell more software and comfortably pay cash for the bike... I HATE financing my toys!

2010 BMW S1000RR - Soon to be track dedicated!
    2006 BMW K1200 R
    2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i - Trackbike - SOLD
    2003 Kawasaki EX 250 - Hers
    2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD - Sport

I can still walk around in my garage, I need more toys...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast