Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

need a bolt extracted

Re: need a bolt extracted

could a steel thread insert get cut to be shorter with a dremel, or am i thinking crazy?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

The insert needs to be 1.5x the bolt diameter to provide adequate holding strength. That's why they are 33 mm (22x1.5=33).

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    The insert needs to be 1.5x the bolt diameter to provide adequate holding strength. That's why they are 33 mm (22x1.5=33).
    the frame only has 15mm of threads. so the bolt wont do its job properly if it's too long

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    Powercoil. Measure your threads and job thrice to make sure you order the right one.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008V13QHO
    i just ordered this. sucks that it's in the UK and international shipping will take 4-6 weeks.

i just called a shop that sells these kits and they wanted 3x the price that this one was on amazon. they did tell me that people do and can cut the thread inserts shorter to fit. so i'll just have to cut mine, put a good amount of red loctite in there, and hope it holds. luckly, the bolt that uses these threads only gets like 10 ft/lbs of torque, so it should be ok. this bolt only centers/pinches the motor to the frame. the hole in the middle is for the actual motor mount that gets 58 ft/lbs

EX 105

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    i just ordered this. sucks that it's in the UK and international shipping will take 4-6 weeks.

i just called a shop that sells these kits and they wanted 3x the price that this one was on amazon. they did tell me that people do and can cut the thread inserts shorter to fit. so i'll just have to cut mine, put a good amount of red loctite in there, and hope it holds. luckly, the bolt that uses these threads only gets like 10 ft/lbs of torque, so it should be ok. this bolt only centers/pinches the motor to the frame. the hole in the middle is for the actual motor mount that gets 58 ft/lbs
    Wouldn't suggest installing a thread repair coil with any Loctite.

The fact that it is a coil will make it so that the threads should not move once inserted properly. The coil will actually be slightly larger diameter then the threads that you will cut with the provided tap. The spring tension in the coil will secure the threads into the tapped hole.

Also, unless you plan to never have to remove or adjust the hardware that uses these threads do not use any Loctite on the hardware threading into the coil.

Cutting the coil to length should be done prior to inserting the coil and it would be good to cut it slightly shorter then needed, half a coil or so, so that it does not protrude out of the threaded hole on either end once inserted. Make sure when you cut the coil that the end that was cut does not have any burrs and will sit correctly into the threads or you could have issues threading in the hardware that goes into the hole.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by tls25rs; 07-09-21 at 09:33 AM.

snapped bolt and stud extraction is a special kind of nightmare repair. you either end in complete success or complete failure. you're well on your way to one of those outcomes

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    snapped bolt and stud extraction is a special kind of nightmare repair. you either end in complete success or complete failure. you're well on your way to one of those outcomes
    16 studs in the Vortec 8.1L headers... Had to extract 13... Took an entire week.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Wouldn't suggest installing a thread repair coil with any Loctite.

The fact that it is a coil will make it so that the threads should not move once inserted properly. The coil will actually be slightly larger diameter then the threads that you will cut with the provided tap. The spring tension in the coil will secure the threads into the tapped hole.

Also, unless you plan to never have to remove or adjust the hardware that uses these threads do not use any Loctite on the hardware threading into the coil.

Cutting the coil to length should be done prior to inserting the coil and it would be good to cut it slightly shorter then needed, half a coil or so, so that it does not protrude out of the threaded hole on either end once inserted. Make sure when you cut the coil that the end that was cut does not have any burrs and will sit correctly into the threads or you could have issues threading in the hardware that goes into the hole.
    the bolt itself will have never seize.
    i was just concerned that i'll have to cut the thread insert in half, as i only have 15mm of thread in the frame,. the insert is 33mm

EX 105

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

the bolt itself will have never seize.
    i was just concerned that i'll have to cut the thread insert in half, as i only have 15mm of thread in the frame,. the insert is 33mm
    Yes you will want to cut the coil so that it is roughly 14mm tall so that it does not stick out either side of the threaded hole you are installing it in. As mentioned though make sure where you cut the coil does not have any burrs on it or that could cause you issues with threading in the hardware you plan to never seize.

Does the bolt utilize all those good threads that are still left or does it it only engage those messed up threads? If it engages those good threads I'd just chase those bad threads and run it. All it does is center the engine, where do you think it's going?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    Does the bolt utilize all those good threads that are still left or does it it only engage those messed up threads? If it engages those good threads I'd just chase those bad threads and run it. All it does is center the engine, where do you think it's going?
    cant chase threads that are gone. i'd rather not install a new frame knowing it will have thread problems. that thruster will be a pain everytime i do motor swaps, which is every 1-2 years.

EX 105

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123