Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Boston MA - Anyone care to come show me their SV?

So I think I've come to the conclusion that I'd like an SV650S as my next bike. It'll be my second, I put about 1500-2k mi on my first, '93 Katana 750, before its engine crapped out. I just couldn't justify throwing $1300 into such an old bike that was in need of new front rotors and would eventually need new tires and chain. I just sold it for $400 (probably could've gotten more, as the cosmetics were in great shape).

Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you with SV650s would be in the mood to possibly indoctrinate me into the SV club... I love the way the bike looks, especially with the factory lower fairing or just the bellypan. I realize it would be a slight step up in power (which I'm a little anxious about), since the Katana was never really working at 100%, but the torque would be fantastic and I don't think the power on the 650 would be overwhelming. I'm not really a speed-freak (as you can tell by my not running out and getting a used super-sport) -- my bro has an '05 CBR 600RR that I've taken out a couple times, and going more than 75% throttle scares the buh-jeezus out of me, lol. I'm sorta torn on the twin vs I4 debate, but the only twins I've ever ridden have been the 250 at the MSF and my girlfriends '97 ninja 250. Other than that, it's been I4s (or in the case of the Katana for the final month or so, an I3/4 since it was only running on 3cyl )...

I'm working full time all summer to bust my ass and hopefully make enough to afford a downpayment of 1200-1500 and then monthly payments and insurance for while I'm at school in Amherst finishing my senior year. I've been considering the FZ6, SV650(S), and Ninja 650R, although the 'Zuki and Yamaha are much more preferable to the 650R. I'm a little hesitant about being able to handle the FZ6, as it makes about 95hp (and I still consider myself a newish rider), and the Ninja 650R is just, well... uninspired looking, haha. Buying new would be ideal, but it might be smarter to go used, so I just want to see how the SV650 stands up over the years.

Would anyone in the MA/Boston area be willing to swing by my house or meet me somewhere and let me take a look at their bike? I'm just looking to check out the quality of a used bike to see how well they hold up, and hear that wonderful growl. I'd love to ride it, but understand that many people would be slightly averse to letting a stranger take their pride and joy out for a ride. If anything, maybe just a quick spin around my neighborhood if you're feeling charitable. Either an SV650S or SV650n would be more than welcome, as I'm trying to decide whether or not the cost-break on the naked ($300-$400 I think) would be an acceptable trade-off. I do like the half-faired and fully faired look (I'd strongly consider getting the factory lower fairing if my funds allow it), and the wind protection it affords, but am open to the SVn.

Please send me a PM or e-mail if interested, thanks! :thumbsup:
    ~Aaron - my e-mail is spicyajax @ hotmail.com

Oh, and I live in Reading, MA, but am happy to rendezvous somewhere if that would work better...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Go to the Lowell Bike night - see a lot of different SV's and talk to the owners of them to find out first-hand.

Check out :: SVRIDER.COM :: Suzuki SV650 / Suzuki SV1000 / Suzuki SV650S / Suzuki SV1000S :: The Ultimate SV Website!

When I was looking into getting an SV a few years ago I lurked on that forum for a while and it seems you can pick up a great deal of knowledge on the bike by reading some of the posts.

And if you decide to go the used bike route, you can definately find a nice condition SV for under $4k

Yeah, I figured that buying new would probably be the best for my situation... I just sold my old katana that was a constant headache and stressor for the 2 years that I owned it, so I'm looking for something that is 100% reliable.

I'd very much prefer fuel injection, so that's 03+, which would probably cost close to 5k or a little more for a used one in really good condition, so I figured if it's going to cost that much, I might as well just go new because then I will know exactly how it's been treated, and I'll be able to finance and build some credit.

And yeah, I'm already a member at svrider.com -- posted a copy of this thread, and to my surprise, everyone who posted in it was somewhat rude and offered me little advice other than "GO TO A DEALER AND FIND OUT YOURSELF."

The whole point was to see a used one and get a feel for how well they age after a couple seasons of riding, and what people thought of them... *Sigh*

I just found this one the other day. The SV's are a VERY well made motorcycle. You can ask anyone on this forum and they will tell you the same thing.

Check this one out -

2006 Suzuki SV-650S

As i said on SVRider.com your more than welcome to come check out mines, but sorry no rides. No offense or anything but handing the keys over to someone I don't know is a bit much for me. If the bike was stock I wouldn't mind, but with the time/money invested in my bike I just can't do it.

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

I'll offer the same as Duey; I'm happy to show you my SV, but no test rides.

I'm in Beverly, so I'm not far down 128 from you.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i dont know anything about these "SV" things you are talking about but this guy Randy i know put like a billion miles on one and it ran great.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I'm gonna try and head down to Greater Boston Motorsports this weekend sometime to get a feel for how much they're asking, and also how I like the ergos on both the SVS and the SVN... And either duey or schleppy, that's very gracious of you to let me check out your bikes, and yeah, I completely understand about not wanting to hand a complete stranger the keys to your pride and joy. I'd be the same way.

Maybe I'll send one of you a PM or something when I'm a bit closer to buying...

...adventure timeadventure time...adventure time...adventure time
    hurray, strikethrough!