Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I bought an EBR 1190 SX..................Bueller, Bueller......haters???

I bought an EBR 1190 SX..................Bueller, Bueller......haters???

Well it was too good of a deal to not buy and since EBR is back in business I figured what the fuck, why not. It's not like I'm already knee deep in shit with my 3 other Buells anyways.

This thing is a beast and after 7K is ridiculously quick. By far the best bike Erik and Co has made to date. Should be fun for my return to track days next year, can't wait to see what it does at the track. I've had it for about 7 weeks now and have about 1600 miles on it.

Here are some pictures from when I bought it. I ended up buying it from a consignment dealer in VA. It's a 2015 with 2 miles on it. I ended up getting it for $9300 with tax, title, registration, dealer fees and shipping included.

I bought an EBR 1190 SX..................Bueller, Bueller......haters???-hq_800-jpgI bought an EBR 1190 SX..................Bueller, Bueller......haters???-ug_800-jpgI bought an EBR 1190 SX..................Bueller, Bueller......haters???-uw_800-jpg

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    04 XB12R
    02 CBRF4i
    BearsDen.com

Re: I bought an EBR 1190 SX..................Bueller, Bueller......haters???

sweet, nice score! i'd love to ride one some day. still miss my goddamn XB12S what other three Buells do you still have?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

I have an 04 XB12R and 02 S3T and a 97 S1.

- - - Updated - - -

Still have your dash plate on my XB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    04 XB12R
    02 CBRF4i
    BearsDen.com

Nice. How does it compare to, say, the 1125CR, and to competitors like the 1290 SuperDuke or M1200 Monster? That model is definitely on my list to testride someday.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Jeezuss jimmy. That thing is a beast.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Bad ass, looked at the EBR bikes briefly when Shark Cycle was having a fire sale on them.

It is very comparable to the CR but with 30 more HP and a bit more torque. The stock gearing is way too tall for me and I'm changing out the 41 tooth rear sprocket for a 45 tooth in the near future. Also going to grab a Dean Adams exhaust with race ecm to give it another 20 HP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Jeezuss jimmy. That thing is a beast.
    Yeah man it is fucking sick. Let's meet up some time and I'll let you take it for a rip.

04 XB12R
    02 CBRF4i
    BearsDen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Damnut View Post
    It is very comparable to the CR but with 30 more HP and a bit more torque. The stock gearing is way too tall for me and I'm changing out the 41 tooth rear sprocket for a 45 tooth in the near future. Also going to grab a Dean Adams exhaust with race ecm to give it another 20 HP.
    Sweet. I liked the 1125CR; it was on my shortlist for a while.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 01-10-17 at 11:09 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

I have an 04 XB12R and 02 S3T and a 97 S1.

- - - Updated - - -

Still have your dash plate on my XB
    hah! no shit, dig it i still see them pop up for sale now and then, cracks me up.

Beta 200RR

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah man it is fucking sick. Let's meet up some time and I'll let you take it for a rip.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

When I was in the market for a Streetfighter, dealer in southern MA asked if I wanted an EBR for half off sticker as they had about 10 of them.

Maybe they're still will to deal if anyone is in the market for one

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

I love the looks of the 1190SX. My local dealer can't seem to get rid of them. Granted thats what happens when you won't budge from your $16k asking price on a bike with a bankrupt manufacturer.

Funny, I've been eyeballing XB9's recently. I've always wanted a Buell, and an XB9 would make a great around town bike. Now I just gotta find one for sale for a reasonable price.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Checked out this bike pretty closely and chatted with Erik at the New York show. Interesting ride. He manufactures his own motors? That was a surprise to me.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Checked out this bike pretty closely and chatted with Erik at the New York show. Interesting ride. He manufactures his own motors? That was a surprise to me.
    The early Buells were Harley-based, although Erik kept modifying them to make them work better. By the later ones there weren't many stock Harley parts left in them, Buell was practically making their own engines based on the Harley Sportster outline.

The 1125 engine was designed by Rotax, a 72-degree V-twin entirely different from the 60-degree V-twin they had designed for Aprilia (and also used in the Can-Am Spyder). The 1190 EBR engine is an in-house development of the 1125 Rotax engine.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 01-10-17 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    that's cool you got to chat with him, he's a super nice guy.

still pumped i was able to pick up my XB in Appleton Wisconsin, group ride down to the factory in East Troy, Erik gave us a tour then we had lunch with him in town. super fun stuff.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    The early Buells were Harley-based, although Erik kept modifying them to make them work better. By the later ones there weren't many stock Harley parts left in them, Buell was practically making their own engines based on the Harley Sportster outline.

The 1125 engine was designed by Rotax, a 72-degree V-twin entirely different from the 60-degree V-twin they had designed for Aprilia (and also used in the Can-Am Spyder). The 1190 EBR engine is an in-house development of the 1125 Rotax engine.

PhilB
    I actually talked with Erik at the NY IMS show and got the scoop for the new engines. The engine was a Buell design that Rotax built for the Buell 1125 platform. Harley would not let Buell manufacture their own engines in the US so Buell had to have Rotax build them out of the country. Rotax actually had a separate assembly line just for the Buell engines. When Harley shut down Buell they told Rotax that they could have the engine because they wanted nothing to do with it. So when Erik started thing back up he talked with Rotax and they said they would sell him the design and that he would have to find a supplier for the 3 parts of the engine that was the same as their engines. So now EBR builds ALL of their engines in-house in East Troy Wisconsin. It is EBR's engine, not Rotax's.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    04 XB12R
    02 CBRF4i
    BearsDen.com

I actually talked with Erik at the NY IMS show and got the scoop for the new engines. The engine was a Buell design that Rotax built for the Buell 1125 platform. Harley would not let Buell manufacture their own engines in the US so Buell had to have Rotax build them out of the country. Rotax actually had a separate assembly line just for the Buell engines. When Harley shut down Buell they told Rotax that they could have the engine because they wanted nothing to do with it. So when Erik started thing back up he talked with Rotax and they said they would sell him the design and that he would have to find a supplier for the 3 parts of the engine that was the same as their engines. So now EBR builds ALL of their engines in-house in East Troy Wisconsin. It is EBR's engine, not Rotax's.
    That's interesting. Definitely a bit different from the story as I had been aware of it, but that could be how it really went. H-D politics are weird. Either way, it's a good engine, with some interesting features. Does it still have identical reversed cylinder heads on the two cylinders in the 1190 version?

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 01-10-17 at 04:17 PM.

Not sure, I'd imagine that it does though.

04 XB12R
    02 CBRF4i
    BearsDen.com

The Harley not letting Buell build the engine in the US was a union thing from what I was told.

And yes Harley's politics were beyond fucked up, like forcing Buell to have Harley manufacture the Blast engines and selling them to Buell. From what I've been told, Buell lost money on EVERY Blast they sold because of that arrangement. SOOO happy Harley, Hero and everyone else is out of the picture. Now hopefully EBR has learned from all the past mistakes and will be around for years to come. God know they built a kick ass bike.

04 XB12R
    02 CBRF4i
    BearsDen.com

I'd like another 9s too.
    And time to ride the thing.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

I rode one at a demo day and it was fun as fuck. but the fit and finish for a bike costing that much left we wanting more. that's a sweet pick up for under 10k, sure as shit that you will never see one anywhere on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    I rode one at a demo day and it was fun as fuck. but the fit and finish for a bike costing that much left we wanting more. that's a sweet pick up for under 10k, sure as shit that you will never see one anywhere on the road.
    That is something I noticed. The rear shock looked like something off of an 85 XR250. The race bike looked much better with Ohlins and race glass.

Paul_E_D

xxaarraa

... SOOO happy Harley, Hero and everyone else is out of the picture. Now hopefully EBR has learned from all the past mistakes and will be around for years to come. God know they built a kick ass bike...
    Funny that Buell fans seem to hold Harley or Hero responsible for Erik's inability to build a sustainable business where the numbers work. History is littered with very cool boutique manufacturers who can't pull their shit together enough to make reliable consumer-grade bikes/cars. You only have to look as far as MV Agusta, or hell, even Aprilia to know that great designs don't automatically make a great business.

I am generally drawn to quirky/different/daring, so I can totally see the enthusiasm for Buell - I saw one at NYST once and immediately took to it. But I doubt Buell would ever not be in bankruptcy.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 01-11-17 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    Funny that Buell fans seem to hold Harley or Hero responsible for Erik's inability to build a sustainable business where the numbers work. History is littered with very cool boutique manufacturers who can't pull their shit together enough to make reliable consumer-grade bikes/cars. You only have to look as far as MV Agusta, or hell, even Aprilia to know that great designs don't automatically make a great business.

I am generally drawn to quirky/different/daring, so I can totally see the enthusiasm for Buell. But I doubt Buell would ever not be in bankruptcy.
    Tell me more about all these things you know about how this went down...

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Word in the news was Erik did a ton of design work for Hero and never got paid on it. He was expecting that funding to help him through the start up. As a former Buell XB12R owner that rode it to Deals Gap and back and did 2500 miles in one week, I really was hoping they would make it back. When they first came out with the street RX I saw it at Daytona. It left me with a meh feeling on the looks. Important when you target Ducati as the bulls-eye you are aiming at. The SX on the other hand is a great looking bike with unique style that stands on its own. Too bad they didn't release that first or an ADV styled bike first. That was and still is a hot market. The market for an all out racer with plates is a fast moving target with little return on investment. Every year it seems there is another refresh from a strong manufacture taking over the top spot. That is a crazy place to try and make money.

What killed EBR was the hope that if you build it they will come method of a business model. The dealers didn't run out and beat the door down for orders. Buell had to raise cash and Hero was there with an investment/design offer. The Hero investment dried up when they ran the numbers. Payment never happened as the investor backed out very late in the game. Certainly not fair but the writing was on the wall at that point.

I think you bike is going to be a lot of fun. Certainly everywhere you show up people are going to talk about it as it is as rare as it gets. Enjoy!

Send cash... I need a track day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast