Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bought a suit, question about fitment.

Bought a suit, question about fitment.

I bought a used suit on ebay. I know I know, try it on before you buy it but the seller said I can return it if it doesn't fit.

Anyways, everything fits great except the knee area. While standing, it somewhat comfortable, but when on the bike, my knees and the back of knees will hurt a bit. The front of the knee hurt because it may be too tight and the armor is pressing into my knee. I found it a little more comfortable when I physically grab the knee armor and move it up a tad, but it still won't be completely comfortable.

The back of the knee I think is just from bit of abbrasion from the folded fabric material. Normal?

So my question is, is this a case of a poor fitting suit or just needs some breaking in? If the fit is slightly off, can it be tailored so it can be spot on? The RC51 is pretty cramped to even some of the other SS bikes. Maybe this is also a factor? Riding with it feels kinda weird as it does hinder my movements a bit, but I think its the fact that it's still breaking in.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SwiftTone; 09-20-12 at 12:18 PM.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 690E. Past: FE250, S1000XR, S1000R, Streefighter S, Monster S2R1000, RC51

Re: Bought a suit, question about fitment.

My old joe rocket did this to me. I would, as you said, physically adjust the armor once on the bike. Needless to say I eventually replaced it but if you're just looking to get out there for a few track days I would say suck it up until you can get a better fitting suit....assuming you got a good deal to start with.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    My old joe rocket did this to me. I would, as you said, physically adjust the armor once on the bike. Needless to say I eventually replaced it but if you're just looking to get out there for a few track days I would say suck it up until you can get a better fitting suit....assuming you got a good deal to start with.
    Did it get better as time went on? Ya, I spent $330 shipped on an Arlen Ness suit. He said he wore it 3 times, and the suit looks like it.

Current: 690E. Past: FE250, S1000XR, S1000R, Streefighter S, Monster S2R1000, RC51

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

That's pretty par for the course for me. I have short lege and I always have to shimmy the knees up a little in my suits

It took me about 10 uses for my Alpinestars suit to break in completely. It was also the back of the knee area that bit into me....all good now.

I also always adjust the knees when I get in riding position (and adjust my leather pants for the street, too). I also get some abrasion behind my left knee from material pinching it, but it really only bugs me when I do several long days in a row, though.

Last edited by Evadd; 09-20-12 at 12:31 PM.

So I took a few pics to get some opinions on fit. I did some riding in it and it's getting more comfortable but still need to push the knee armor down. Back of knee still hurt. Moving around the bike def is more difficult but I think that will get better over time?

Bought a suit, question about fitment.-photo-1-jpg

Bought a suit, question about fitment.-photo-2-jpg

Bought a suit, question about fitment.-photo-3-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought a suit, question about fitment.-a946b69c-cd89-48a7-b48f-a1e0426c91f2  

Last edited by SwiftTone; 09-21-12 at 10:02 AM.

Because you're fairly tall and thin, my guess is that the fit is the best you'll get without going custom. As for the knees, like I said, I always have to adjust the knees and I still get that behind-the-knee pinch and I think my suit is pretty well broken in.

I think you'll get used to it....or it'll be good enough until you can afford a custom suit. Also, if you know anyone handy at sewing, you could possibly have them restitch the knee armor pocket in a different location.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

A good one piece suit is built to fit you on the bike not standing. I had a pair of teknic pants that I absolutely loved but I had to sell them because they fit exactly like you describe. The problem is you can move them once your on the bike but if you are moving around on the bike they are going to work them selves back into the position they want to be in at some point. And you don't want that point to be right as your setting up foe a turn and not be able to move right. Trust me the closeout gear king. And after a while I've realized noatter how good a deal it is if it doesn't for right its neither a deal or even as safe as it should be. Honestly it looks like an awesome suit but it doesn't sound like its the right fit for you. Send it back and get something that fits right. I have 3 agv suits Iat my house right now. They are on motorcyclegear.com for 350 shipped. I have a 42 a 44 and a 46 I'm keeping the 44 but your welcome to come try them all on before I send them back. I'm leaving for my honeymoon in a few hours but send me a pm and we can get together when I get back if your interested.

Edit. Just took a closer look at your pics. Do the legs/ knee armor do the same thing if you aren't wearing your boots? In otherwods. Are your boots pushing up the bottom of the legs, or is the leather above your knees pulling the knee section too tight and pulling them up?

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 09-23-12 at 01:58 PM.
    "You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

Thanks for the input guys.

The knee armors were actually held in by valcrow, similar to the one for the knee pucks. So before, I actually had to push the armor down(not up) after I get seated on the bike. So I moved the armor downwards and it's now much better. I got the right knee in the correct position, and I just have to fine tune the left knee.

Thanks for the offer and insight Dave. Congrats on enjoy your honeymoon!

Thanks bud! My fieldsheers were just like that. Glad it worked out for you suit looks sweet.

"You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.