Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bouncing around the idea of selling the RC51 and getting a plated dirtbike

Lifer

Re: Bouncing around the idea of selling the RC51 and getting a plated dirtbike

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post

Your bike would do me nicely. If you get serious about selling it send me a pm.

Those bikes on craigslist are way overpriced. They pop up every few months then go away. I just assumed they were scam bikes Without knowing the details of your bike i would say your slightly on the low end. Decent shape ones start at $3500 and run up to about $6k. Under 10k miles and you can possibly push $7k. Yours look good so say $4k plus. The rc51 doesnt fetch crazy money sadly. They should but they dont. To me it seems a better idea than an Aprilia or most older Ducs.

Have you considered a tenere or adv type bike? They will probably fit your size better. Or just pull a show stopper and track down a plated cr500 and dig ditches with it all day lol.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I will say I rode mine back-to-back with JC's new 250XC and the difference in gyro and engine braking were astonishing. When I get ready for a new dirt bike, it will likely be a 250 2t, but I'm happy to love the one I've got for now.
    To expand on that for Xrocket, I think there is something inherently easier to riding a 2 stroke in the woods. It's not something that can be really measured or quantified. with your expectations to use the bike on the street it gets more complicated. Sure a 2t will go down the road, but not anywhere near as nice as a 4 stroke. But, a 4stroke MX bike like a 450r is too much to hussle around in the woods, and I'm a large human with dirt racing experience. Not to say it can't be done. I don't think there is a right answer to this question, but, for mixed use, a 250 4t or ktm 350 seem like a nice blend of street-ability and dirt freindlyness.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Your bike would do me nicely. If you get serious about selling it send me a pm.

Those bikes on craigslist are way overpriced. They pop up every few months then go away. I just assumed they were scam bikes Without knowing the details of your bike i would say your slightly on the low end. Decent shape ones start at $3500 and run up to about $6k. Under 10k miles and you can possibly push $7k. Yours look good so say $4k plus. The rc51 doesnt fetch crazy money sadly. They should but they dont. To me it seems a better idea than an Aprilia or most older Ducs.

Have you considered a tenere or adv type bike? They will probably fit your size better. Or just pull a show stopper and track down a plated cr500 and dig ditches with it all day lol.
    I am at 35 k miles, and my plastics aren't great, it's rashed on one side and a few cracks but solid and looks good from 10'. It's got quite a bit of add ons

-Sato rear sets
    -M4 high mount pipes (with adapters to keep the rear pegs)
    -520 conversion with new chain and sprockets and -1 +3 gearing
    -crg levers
    -airbox flapper mod
    -soft rev mod
    -speedo healer
    -newish tires
    -1 year old battery
    -aftermarket windshield
    - k&n air filters
    - a few small carbon fiber trim pieces
    -led undertail
    -power commander 3 with maps
    -steering stabilizer (ohlins?)

Front forks redone by GMD computrac at 30k due to leaky seal.

New coils and wires at 22k miles

New stator and rectifier at 34k miles

Updated cdi

Hmmm, probably missing stuff

Bike runs strong with the pipes, tune, gearing, and airbox mods.

Last edited by xrocket21; 03-30-21 at 08:50 AM.

Got ahold of Freedom Cycle, they have a regular one and a 6 days edition. $12,599 or $11,599 +$950 in fees.

Then I think I'd have to pay the sales tax i n Maine when I register it, 5.5% for another $693...

$14,243 is a pretty expensive dirtbike...

Got ahold of Freedom Cycle, they have a regular one and a 6 days edition. $12,599 or $11,599 +$950 in fees.

Then I think I'd have to pay the sales tax i n Maine when I register it, 5.5% for another $693...

$14,243 is a pretty expensive dirtbike...

I dont think the 6 Days really gets you anything better over the regular model except for looks. Personally I wouldn't waste the extra money on it. They are pricey but everything is now. The Japanese bikes are 10k msrp now for a 450. PK rides 300 and he isn't exactly small either.

Keep me in mind for the RC although I think I might be crippled after riding it again.

Last edited by union; 03-30-21 at 03:58 PM.
    James

There's $1000+ worth of extra stuff on it, but nothing really I would spend the money on. Get a proper skid plate and bark busters and grab some springs from Factory connection.

Durability is critical for ISDE success, so that’s a focus of the new Six Days’ updates. Take a close look, and you’ll find a special skid plate, machined triple-clamps anodized orange, spring-preload adjustment for the WP Xlpor fork, more comfortable seat, beefier clutch cover, a solid rear disc and floating front disc, Supersprox Stealth steel/aluminum two-piece sprocket, front axle puller for quick wheel changes, safety-wired rear brake pedal, and a chain guide. The only thing you’ll need to change for serious off-roading is the ADV-oriented tires, which are used primarily to pass various government standards.

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    I dont think the 6 Days really gets you anything better over the regular model except for looks. Personally I wouldn't waste the extra money on it. They are pricey but everything is now. The Japanese bikes are 10k msrp now for a 450. PK rides 300 and he isn't exactly small either.

Keep me in mind for the RC although I think I might be crippled after riding it again.
    The Carbon bits on it are from you actually if you remember!!!!

Bouncing around the idea of selling the RC51 and getting a plated dirtbike-64924e13-3728-4f6d-992b-465f08d324ae
    There was a KTM RC8R that was just posted in the TTD Facebook group...

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg21892 View Post
    How much street do you plan on doing? the bikes you posted would really only be good for hopping from trail to trail, but they're incredible off road. I've got a WR426 that I plated thinking i would use it to ride around town, but its absolutely terrible on the pavement, so I keep it on offroad duty only.
    However, I picked up a DRZ400 this year and it's fantastic as a 50/50 kind of bike. I've never enjoyed a single bike in such a wide variety of conditions before.
    Love my DRZ
    Scratches my itch

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    There's $1000+ worth of extra stuff on it, but nothing really I would spend the money on. Get a proper skid plate and bark busters and grab some springs from Factory connection.

Durability is critical for ISDE success, so that’s a focus of the new Six Days’ updates. Take a close look, and you’ll find a special skid plate, machined triple-clamps anodized orange, spring-preload adjustment for the WP Xlpor fork, more comfortable seat, beefier clutch cover, a solid rear disc and floating front disc, Supersprox Stealth steel/aluminum two-piece sprocket, front axle puller for quick wheel changes, safety-wired rear brake pedal, and a chain guide. The only thing you’ll need to change for serious off-roading is the ADV-oriented tires, which are used primarily to pass various government standards.
    $13,187 for the normal model then...

I love my 500EXC. Mine had the emissions delete done at the dealer and they loaded the off-road XCW fuel map on it. I also had new springs installed since I'm double the weight of your typical Austrian apparently. It rips and is easy to wrench on.

Bouncing around the idea of selling the RC51 and getting a plated dirtbike-stimilon-2016-01_small-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bouncing around the idea of selling the RC51 and getting a plated dirtbike-stimilon-2016-01_small-jpg  

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I love my 500EXC. Mine had the emissions delete done at the dealer and they loaded the off-road XCW fuel map on it. I also had new springs installed since I'm double the weight of your typical Austrian apparently. It rips and is easy to wrench on.

I have read that the stock emissions and ecu are restrictive and you gain a lot removing them...

I'm sure I would probably do that right off. I am surprised the dealer did it for you, how much was it?

Good to hear it rips and you're happy with it!

I am surprised the dealer did it for you, how much was it?
    I bought mine from Mason Racing in Lebanon, NH. There was a 1 week gap between buying and picking up so they could get the new springs ordered and installed. They never really asked if I wanted the emissions delete done. They just said when I came back to pick it up, it would be deleted and would have the XCW map. It was no extra charge. I've ridden a couple different 500s and all of them had XCW maps so I've never tried one with the factory EXC tune.

At the time of purchase, labor was included for the install of any accessories I added on so I paid for front and rear springs, bark busters, and a skid plate which they installed and did the delete and remap at the same time. Mine is a 2013 and it appears that it was about $2K cheaper than the quotes you are getting for new ones.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Don't sell the RC51. I've been and am in the same boat. Rarely ride on the street anymore. I didn't even take them off the stands last year. The year before I took each of them out once.

But they're paid for, and insurance is hardly anything. I know I can't replace them for short money. To me, they're worth more than I could sell them for.

I added some dirt bikes when my son was little and we had fun on those. Now he's not interested anymore and spends more time on the computer. I need to clean the carb on the 50 and sell it this spring.

My advice is to get something cheap for dirt. Since your son can't ride street yet anyway, have fun with him on the trails. If he sticks with riding, then get something for the street for both of you later.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Don't sell the RC51. I've been and am in the same boat. Rarely ride on the street anymore. I didn't even take them off the stands last year. The year before I took each of them out once.

But they're paid for, and insurance is hardly anything. I know I can't replace them for short money. To me, they're worth more than I could sell them for.

I added some dirt bikes when my son was little and we had fun on those. Now he's not interested anymore and spends more time on the computer. I need to clean the carb on the 50 and sell it this spring.

My advice is to get something cheap for dirt. Since your son can't ride street yet anyway, have fun with him on the trails. If he sticks with riding, then get something for the street for both of you later.
    Sound advice, and Im kinda leaning toward keeping it. Even my wife says, "it doesn't owe you anything"

I think half of NESR has had their hands on it.

you helped me change the chain the first time on it

union took me for a ride when I first bought it and gave me a couple carbon fiber trim pieces for it

peter kates has worked on the forks

degsy changed and balanced the tires once, then sold his equipment to tricky mike, who then flipped the front tire around that degsy put on backwards for me lol

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post

This is why I still have the HyperMotard.. though the leaking gas tank is testing my patience like never before.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lifer

I'm in the same boat with my SV. I think I will let the registration lapse this year. It is in the corner in stands with the cylinders and tank fogged. Not even worth the effort to try to sell. One day I'll street ride it again. Maybe even do a track day. Someday.

Don't sell the RC. If it costs just a few bucks to keep around for the couple of days you find to ride it, it's worth it. Assuming it's not really in the way or taking up some valuable real estate.

My CBR is a little sentimental to me (but still just a CBR), and I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. Two years ago I think I managed 200 miles, about the same the year before that (new baby at home and plus boat). Last year maybe 500 or so miles. That's not because I didn't want to.
    I'm slowly getting back to it, and have already managed about 400 miles this year.

My point is that you never know how things will come back around, and you'll be sitting there wishing you could go out and rip that RC and listen to it in all the glory. For the few bucks it costs, keep it around.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MHenry600 View Post
    Don't sell the RC. If it costs just a few bucks to keep around for the couple of days you find to ride it, it's worth it. Assuming it's not really in the way or taking up some valuable real estate.

My CBR is a little sentimental to me (but still just a CBR), and I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. Two years ago I think I managed 200 miles, about the same the year before that (new baby at home and plus boat). Last year maybe 500 or so miles. That's not because I didn't want to.
    I'm slowly getting back to it, and have already managed about 400 miles this year.

My point is that you never know how things will come back around, and you'll be sitting there wishing you could go out and rip that RC and listen to it in all the glory. For the few bucks it costs, keep it around.
    I am the same way about my gsxr. Its been in my shed under a cover untouched for 5 years. Before that it was my track bike, probably have about 5000 track miles on it. Before that it was my commuter so 50k. Before that it was my drag bike, 100's of passes at epping. Before that it was my stunt bike for 3 years. That bike has been through hell and back and i will never get rid it. I bet ive had about 50 bikes in addition to that one but its the only one that stays.
    I think im going to have it rebuilt next year. Kates can do the suspensionagain and probably check the frame for straighness and kws can do the engine. Body is an issue though. Cant find oem stuff anymore at any cost.

$13,187 for the normal model then...
    Will they negotiate the price? There’s somewhere around 18% on the table for dealers based on msrp, and I know as of last year, KTM kicked back the set up fees and freight fees to the dealer if the unit was sold with 90 days of the dealer taking delivery of the bike.

Last year my nephew bought a 2020 xcw300 TPI six days and he got $1,100 off msrp and only a CT state documentation fee. He got it from Motorsports Nation in Plainfield, Ct.

All that being said, I’d have a hard time spending anything north of $10k for any dirtbike. Have you looked into an older KTM 525exc? I had an 06 and I still think to this day, it was my all time favorite dirtbike. I had close to 300 hours on mine when I sold it and didn’t have a single engine issue. What always amazed me was how easy it was to ride in the tight stuff, and when needed, it had big power to haul your big ass self around.

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'm in the same boat with my SV. I think I will let the registration lapse this year. It is in the corner in stands with the cylinders and tank fogged. Not even worth the effort to try to sell. One day I'll street ride it again. Maybe even do a track day. Someday.
    That makes me really sad for reasons I can't quite put my finger on.

another vote for keep the RC, it's too sexxxy + sentimental, you will miss it ... maybe look for a decent priced used 300 2T? i agree with LuvDog, have fun with the kid local + trails now, see how he feels down the line ... even if it's a bit older 300, the low revving motors will go for huge hours with zero intervention.

Beta 200RR

Or a $2500 KDX220...

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2014 KTM 500
    $6,900
    Concord, NH

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

2011 KTM 300 XCW
    $4,500
    Kingston, RI

Beta 200RR

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast