Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Brake light always on - 06 R1

Brake light always on - 06 R1

So long story short I went out this past weekend to Austin and someone stole my plate and inspection off my 06 R1 (purple heart plate at that) while I was inside a restaurant. I went today to get a new inspection and the guy fails me and says my brake lights don't work (I was completely unaware)...

I get home and start messing with the bike to figure out why and it seems my brake lights are always on now and only go off if I move the front brake lever forward (engaging/contacting the switch). My rear brake does nothing at the moment...depress it and no brake light of course. I checked the fuses and they are good, everything is hooked up the way it was when it was working. Can't really find any good info online about this issue, anyone else have this happen to them?

Its still around the 80s here in good ol Texas and I hate to miss out on this weather. Help me please!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DaSarge; 10-25-12 at 05:08 PM.
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic306_2.gif

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar

Re: Brake light always on - 06 R1

Are they bulbs? Any chance they are in backwards? Dual filament bulbs only go in one way. Excuse my ignorance of the 06 R1.

Ah I should of stated its and aftermarket LED with integrated blinkers...blinkers still work fine.

The brake light only goes off if you push the brake lever forward? That makes it sound like a switch issue on the brake handle. Not sure about the rear brake, though. Do you have an electrical tester?

I am guessing it is the switch at this point...I pushed the lever forward to get the brake light off, depressed the rear brake and it works so at least I know its the front at this point and not both...If anyone has any other ideas shoot em my way

I agree that the problem seems pretty clearly to be the front brake switch. How to fix the particular problem, though, sorry - no ideas.

what the fuck is wrong with people? Some asshole(s) stole my car with a purple heart plate on it. They just have no respect for ANYTHING!

As for the brake light...did you swap levers or have anything else happen to the lever? I know there are two types of switches. One is a plunger type the other has a metal tab that the lever pushes on. the latter could be adjusted by bending the metal. You may be able to loosen the switch and reposition it so it contacts properly.

Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

Sounds like the switch or the lever is not returning. They are pretty cheap second hand and from the dealer (switches). Before you do that though, try pulling the lever (it's a flat head screw and a nut on the bottom of that), clean it all up, grease it, and put it back together. You can also try spraying some electronic/plastic safe cleaner into the switch to free up that small black plastic piece that activates the light.