Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: What genre of bike?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sport

2 5.26%
  • Sport standard

21 55.26%
  • Cruiser

1 2.63%
  • Touring

4 10.53%
  • Adventure

10 26.32%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Brand New Bike - What Kind?

Brand New Bike - What Kind?

If you were going to buy a new bike what category would your purchase fall into?

If I was to buy a new bike it would probably be a sport standard like the XSR900 or Duke 790.

A good mix of performance, comfort, price, and sex appeal.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Re: Brand New Bike - What Kind?

Assuming I'm buying with someone else's wallet - Ural Patrol 2WD

If it's MY wallet, I'm not in the market.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I really miss riding my SV650, I wouldn't give up my V-strom, it's a better touring bike, but my old SV was more comfortable for me ergonomically than the Strom. The Strom has more real estate for accessories & luggage, but is a pig, weight wise for daily use

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I've been looking hard at a thruxton 1200r or an R nine T. Tried the cruiser game this summer and it wasn't really for me.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 01-20-18 at 12:37 PM.

I clicked "sport standard", although sport-touring is also a good possibility.

I am looking to get a new bike, since my trusty old Monster got smashed a few months ago.
    My leading contenders, of what I have tested, are: Ducati 939 SuperSport, KTM 1290 SuperDuke, Moto Guzzi Griso 8V, or Motus MST.
    I also need to test a few that I have not yet ridden: Triumph Thruxton 1200R, Ducati Scrambler 1100, Triumph Street Triple 800, KTM 790 Duke, one of the MV Agusta 800 Triples.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Interested in your impression of the Motus?

Ducati Multistrada Pike's Peak edition.

TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Interested in your impression of the Motus?
    That's one hell of a fine bike. 125 ft-lb of torque really says "hello" to you.
    It seems to be well designed and well built. I'm talking to owners and dealers (and former dealers) about it. I've heard mostly very good things, but there have been a few hiccups as well.
    I tend to buy and keep things forever, so I'm looking for the bike I will turn over 250K on in about the year 2040.
    The Ducati is the safe choice. Moto Guzzis can pretty much last forever. I haven't seen any KTMs over 100K personally, but poking around the internet gives some good stories about those holding up well.
    If I can develop enough confidence in the longevity of the Motus (and that the company will also be around for the long term), I may well do that. But I'm still looking into it.
    Brand New Bike - What Kind?-motus-02-jpg

I testrode one (an MST) in April 2016, and visited the factory while I was in town for the Barber vintage races in October 2016. Below is my write-up of my testride:

Apr2016 – MOTUS MST

MOTUS Demo Truck, arranged by Gateway BMW, St. Louis, MO. Thanks!!!
    ==========
    Stunning.

That’s a hell of a machine they’ve built there. It’s on my short list right away, and I could genuinely see myself owning one at some point. I’ve been following this effort for years, reading about them, saw the first two prototypes at Barber in 2011, and so on. They tested the hell out of those prototypes and other development mules, and really seem to have put in the effort to get it all right. I understand that they re-engineered the entire thing during development and the production bike actually shares virtually no engine parts with the initial prototypes. I respect that level of engineering integrity.

Start with the engine, because that’s what this bike is really all about. It’s a 1650cc pushrod V-4, similar in design to half a Chevy smallblock. (Some people will try to tell you that it is literally half a Chevy smallblock, but that isn’t the case. It shares no parts, other than a few in the fuel and ignition systems. It’s too small to be that at 100 c.i.d. Chevy never made a 200 c.i.d. smallblock; the smallest was a 262.) But they used the experience and expertise of the hotrod/NASCAR/Corvette guys (most notably, Pratt and Miller Engineering) to make this engine all it can be. While it’s not short on power by any means (165hp for the MST, 180hp for the MST-R), it’s really all about the torque. 125 ft-lbs peak, on a big fat smooth curve. This engine has effortless massive thrust everywhere, which makes it a joy to ride everywhere. The engine is longitudinal, but turns the power 90° at the transmission input, and the rest of the drivetrain is pretty much standard big sportbike – wet basket clutch, 6-spd sequential transmission, chain drive. The engine oil is separate from the clutch/trans oil, which is nice. You can use standard car oil, with its more advanced friction inhibitors, in the engine, with worrying about how that will affect the clutch. Presumably you’d use motorcycle-specific oil in the clutch/trans, but you wouldn’t have to change it anywhere near as often without the engine dirtying it up.

One of the neat things about this testride is that the ride leader was Lee, who is one of the two partners that own the company. So he really knows the bike. He talked to me at some length about the intentional effort to use as many pre-existing common parts as possible, to keep it easy to source and maintain. The idea really is to have something you can ride a lot and not have to worry about and fiddle with all the time. So while the engine and transmission are new clean-sheet designs, the clutch is largely Hayabusa. Many of the ignition and fuel and valve system bits are interchangeable with other engines. Outside of that, instead of making new bits, they purchased in the finest bits already on the market. No need to re-invent the wheels; OZ and BST already make great wheels. Likewise the suspension, brakes, seat, luggage, etc. (Coincidentally, and amusingly, one of the most coveted of classic bikes was done this way – the Brough Superior was an amalgamation of the best parts of its day, assembled to be the best bike of its day. Brough even bought in their engines, mostly JAP and Matchless.)

The handling is outstanding. It’s not as light and responsive as the best of the sportbikes, but it’s remarkably close, especially for a sport-tourer. Overall, it’s a bit (often more than a bit) smaller and lighter than most of its direct competition, with similar geometry and a bit quicker response than most of them. And a lot more torque.

Here is a table with some basic data on most of the sport-touring options.
    Bike Wet weight Torque Bike Wet weight Torque
    MOTUS MST 585 lbs 125 ft-lbs Moto Guzzi Norge 610 lbs 75 ft-lbs
    Aprilia Futura 510 lbs 70 ft-lbs Honda VFR800 540 lbs 60 ft-lbs
    Aprilia Caponord 520 lbs 85 ft-lbs Honda VFR1200F 610 lbs 95 ft-lbs
    BMW F800ST 460 lbs 60 ft-lbs Honda ST1300 730 lbs 90 ft-lbs (85 for 1100)
    BMW R1200RT 630 lbs 80 ft-lbs Kawasaki ZX-14 585 lbs 115 ft-lbs
    BMW K1300S 550 lbs 105 ft-lbs Kawasaki Concours 14 690 lbs 115 ft-lbs
    BMW K1300GT 630 lbs 100 ft-lbs Kawasaki Concours 1000 630 lbs 70 ft-lbs
    BMW K1600GT 700 lbs 130 ft-lbs Suzuki Hayabusa 585 lbs 115 ft-lbs
    Ducati ST4s ABS (2004) 540 lbs 70 ft-lbs Yamaha FJR1300 635 lbs 90 ft-lbs
    Ducati MS1200S 520 lbs 100 ft-lbs Triumph Sprint GT 590 lbs 80 ft-lbs
    KTM 1290 GT 510 lbs 105 ft-lbs Triumph Trophy 695 lbs 90 ft-lbs

So think about a BMW K1600GT with about 130 lbs removed, or a Suzuki Hayabusa with 10% *more* thrust and a lot more comfort and range. Passing is effortless, and after making the pass you don’t feel apprehensive, like you have to really haul the speed down before the next corner; it just handles it all with aplomb.

This bike eschews the modern trend to electronically manage everything. It has FI, and the requisite EMS for that, but no “ride modes”, no electronic suspension, no TC or ABS – it’s a manually operated motorcycle. I’m good with that overall, although I would like ABS, which I believe to be the biggest advance in motorcycle safety since the tubeless tire.

The ergonomics are easy and comfortable, and highly adjustable. You have options for the seat, and adjustment ranges for the handlebars, footpegs, and levers. It’s not too tall; I was easily on the balls of my feet on both sides, and I have a 30” inseam (i.e. short).

The aesthetics are good. It’s not the most beautiful bike ever built, but it’s a very good looking bike overall. The engine is the focus of the appearance, and that’s a good choice. It’s a pretty engine, with its forward cant and two pipes on each side. The racks for the hard bags are not obtrusive with the bags removed; that’s nice. Having the integrated hard bags and topcase/passenger backrest is a great feature; these would be mandatory for my purchase.

The fit and finish are immaculate. At this price, they should be at a high level, and they do not disappoint. Indeed, that’s where the bottom line on this bike is: at this price (base $31K for MST; $37K for MST-R) *nothing* should disappoint. And nothing does – except the lack of ABS. It’s a top-notch, excellent, outstanding machine in every way.

As I said at the top, it’s on my short list right away, and I could genuinely see myself owning one at some point.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 01-20-18 at 03:44 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

I clicked adventure and was ready to answer KTM 1290 Super Adventure.

But then I remembered they came out with a new 'wing. That's the correct answer: touring => 2018 Gold Wing

Honorable mention to that 1290 SA.. damn she's fine. Also the new BMW F800GS, now with cruise! And the Tiger 800 XCX.. if you like triples.

Supermotard

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Supermotard
    +1 SUPERMOTO (miss my SXV so, so bad)

Beta 200RR

Probably a 500EXC or the new gold wing

Busa

Ya'all p*ssies

Jk jk...AT all day errre day

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I just want something kinda simple. A tarted up (boingers and brakes) goose v7 Stone.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Far as what I'd actually want to ride and not just pricetag... new enduro without question. Something like a Husky TE300/FE450 or KTM 300EXC/450EXC-F.

(New poll option maybe?)

Last edited by Tekime; 01-20-18 at 07:20 PM.
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDUCK View Post
    Ducati Multistrada Pike's Peak edition.
    Good choice, I have one and really enjoy it!

Current whiplist:
    MST/Pikes Pike---------Transformer/Sky Hooked
    1098s-------------Interstater/Time machine( Just sold)
    DRZ 400 Tarded---Urban assault vehicle
    Road King---------Date bike/ Hangover bike
    XT 225-----------Grocery getter/Packie bike(For Sale)
    RD 350---------Giant Killer
    Past whiplist, I drink to them all.....

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Supermotard
    Also a good choice, I have one and about to post it for sale. I’ll start with fourm first before I throw it out to other sites.

Current whiplist:
    MST/Pikes Pike---------Transformer/Sky Hooked
    1098s-------------Interstater/Time machine( Just sold)
    DRZ 400 Tarded---Urban assault vehicle
    Road King---------Date bike/ Hangover bike
    XT 225-----------Grocery getter/Packie bike(For Sale)
    RD 350---------Giant Killer
    Past whiplist, I drink to them all.....

Street: probably an Indian Scout with a full set of K-Tech suspenders. Honorable mention to a new Multi.

Track: RSV4-FW SSTK2, this requires no explanation.

Dirt: KTM, not sure if I’d go with a 300 exc or a 450 exc-f.

Edit: if I have to choose just one, it’s probably the Scout. Not owning a street bike for a while has me pining.

Last edited by loudbeard; 01-21-18 at 01:24 PM.
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    Far as what I'd actually want to ride and not just pricetag... new enduro without question. Something like a Husky TE300/FE450 or KTM 300EXC/450EXC-F.

(New poll option maybe?)
    I can't figure out how to add a new poll option to save my life...

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Cat herder

I have two sportbikes now... a 2011 GSX-R750 for the street and a dedicated R6 track bike. The GSX-R is my fourth bike, and the first supersport I've had. The R6 came later, after I'd already ridden the Suzuki on track. I bought the GSX-R to scratch the sportbike itch: It did that, and it's great... but wasted on the street, now that I know what the track is like. I'm one of those rare individuals who actually doesn't mind sportbike ergos, but the lack of low-speed maneuverability is a hassle sometimes.

So my next bike will probably be something better suited to street riding. Liking the Yamahas a lot... XSR700 in particular, but also the MT07, XSR900 and especially the just announced (in Europe) MT-09 SP, which is an 09 with upgraded suspension. With the XSRs, Yamaha is getting close to the fabled UJM platform. Those bikes were popular for a reason.

Might also downsize... Of the bikes I had before the GSX-R, it's immediate predecessor -- a Ninja 250 -- was my clear favorite. Little bikes are a hoot: cheap to buy, run and own, and just perfect for the vast majority of the actual riding I get to do. The secret is to wind those suckers up... ridden hard, they're a blast. So the new Ninja 400 might get on the list, or RC390 or R3. Or that new retro-ish CBR300R that isn't here in the US yet.

If I had the cash for a new bike it would be a Yamaha MT09. I was drooling over a new R6 in the shop this week but I don't think I could ride one right now.

James