Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Brand new hypermotard laid down :(

Brand new hypermotard laid down :(

Was joining some friends on a cruise down to Newport yesterday to check out a exotic/antique car show and well lets say I didn't make it very far considering this happened 10minutes from my house. Basically I was traveling in the 3rd lane next to the slow lane minding my own business and got cut off, bike started to wobble but no matter what I did (sit back on the seat and hold the throttle) I couldn't prevent the full on tankslap while going ~70mph. So needless to say down she went, I managed to at least slide/tumble my ass over to the breakdown lane where I stayed for a bit until the EMT's/Police showed up. Luckily I had a friend following in a car that blocked off traffic as I slid so I was in no danger of getting run over thank god.

I was wearing my leather jacket, gloves, helmet, and boots which held up great I must say but dumbass me for some reason decided to not wear my armored pants so my jeans didn't do much so my knee's took a nice beating that has left me with some minor bruises and cuts/scrapes (3 stitches in my right knee).

The bike surprisingly held up pretty well without frame sliders and as far as I could tell no major damage but we'll see tomorrow when Riverside can tear it down and check for any structural damage(s).

Here's the pics to the aftermath ;

[IMG]http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6
    /230310_2084475353994_1308444593_2558036_3212128_n.jpg[/IMG]

Steering stop got damaged as you can see so I'm not sure how thats going to be with the insurance as i don't want it to be totaled (i don't even have 400mi's on it yet). But if it has to come down to it I think I'll be considering a streetfighter S, diavel carbon or perhaps a multistrada if I can't get back on the hyper but only time will tell I guess.

All this and the thing that has got me most pissed off is that I can't attend the TTD tomorrow that I was going to sign up for

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

Re: Brand new hypermotard laid down :(

That thing looks great for skipping across the pavement at 70. I hope you heal fast.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Damn duey! Glad you're ok.

Really sorry to hear this happened, but glad you're not more seriously injured. I know how much you enjoy ridding, and hope you can get healed up fast and get the bike sorted out without any problems. If there's anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by camhabib; 05-23-11 at 05:15 PM.

at least you are ok.....thank goodness you where wearing most of your gear....400 miles...i feel your pain..

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

That sucks dude. Glad youre more or less OK...there are more Hypers where your's came from!

I'm a bit unclear on what happened? You were cut off? Then, when avoiding the car? your bike developed a tank slapper?

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Hypertarded

1st glad your relatively OK, heal up quick

DAM that hurts just looking at it, I know it's just a machine, but so new. Jacket looks like it took a beating and I am shocked there is anything left of the handguard/blinker/mirror set-up, those things are made of crystal, they shatter if you look at them too hard.

Good luck with the bike, stick with the Hyper, fixed or another new one

Wow sorry to hear that man, but glad the gear did it's job and you are ok! (Also glad the bike made out pretty well, but your well being is more important.)

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Sorry to hear Duey. Glad your OK.

Paul_E_D

laid down? looks more like you crashed, don't be in denial, in the meantime, heal yer injuries

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    I'm a bit unclear on what happened? You were cut off? Then, when avoiding the car? your bike developed a tank slapper?
    Happened really fast so i'm not totally sure how it happened, but I know that I slowed down to avoid being hit, then a decent wobble turned into a violent tankslap.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    laid down? looks more like you crashed, don't be in denial, in the meantime, heal yer injuries
    Well....I "laid" it down at a very high rate of speed. The side fairing/hand guards took most of the damage, engine case was completely untouched (luckily). The ding on the rear wheel I believe is from the bike sliding into the post of the guardrail.

The ER Doc's got me a prescription for really low mg of perk's so I'm feeling pretty damn good for now

And for the record I'm still very very annoyed I won't be able to attend the TTD tomorrow

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

Sounds like you are ok and the bike looks fixable. Consider the alternatives and you did pretty well here. Speedy recovery Duey.

I've had that happen before when braking hard although I got lucky and saved it. Glad your ok - advice - invest in a scott's damper (if you don't have one) I've never had a wobble of any sort with a damper on.

Quote Originally Posted by slammp View Post
    I've had that happen before when braking hard although I got lucky and saved it. Glad your ok - advice - invest in a scott's damper (if you don't have one) I've never had a wobble of any sort with a damper on.
    I think that comes with an ohlins damper.

Goddamn it duey, I didn't even got to see it yet. Hope you recover soon and fuck those blind fuckers!!!!!

-Ricky-

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Looks more like you're a dick, don't be in denial.

Also we should direct drzsolider or whatever to this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Cid369 View Post
    I think that comes with an ohlins damper.

Goddamn it duey, I didn't even got to see it yet. Hope you recover soon and fuck those blind fuckers!!!!!
    You know for the price I paid for the damn thing you would have thought it should have come with at least a crappy damper but for some unknown reason they couldn't even spring for that.

But yeah a steering damper was actually on my list of things to get very soon. Still debating on which one to go with but for sure I'll be riding with one when she is put back on the road again.

Carbon fairings are on the way and trying to choose from BST carbon or Carrozzeria wheels

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

-the reason for the lack of a steering-damper is the plain and simple fact that they're equipped with dirt-style bars with tons of leverage.

-sucks about the off, but don't blame the bike/manufacturer.

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by duey View Post
    Carbon fairings are on the way and trying to choose from BST carbon wheels

Any crash you walk away from is a good crash. I am slightly shocked at how badly the jacket failed. Looks catastrophic. You should take many pics and send them to the manufacturer. Same with the helmet if you wacked that. They usually want to know what happened & may even replace them. But a tear like that is not good.
    BTW, I know they happen fast but pretty much any accident is your fault. More awareness would have had you avoiding when that car was anywhere near you. Riding in a group greatly increased your chance to crash; very distractring. Assume every car it trying to kill you, since alot are. I have found this mentality has helped me along in 220k+ miles of year round riding in & around NYC. You have no crumple zones, just awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by duey View Post

Carbon fairings are on the way and trying to choose from BST carbon or Carrozzeria wheels
    BST ftw. From a performance standpoint, the two may have a similar weights, but the most mass is located near the axle on the BSTs and the most weight is located on the rim of the Carrozzerias. Rotational mass is better closer to the axis.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Any crash you walk away from is a good crash. I am slightly shocked at how badly the jacket failed. Looks catastrophic. You should take many pics and send them to the manufacturer. Same with the helmet if you wacked that. They usually want to know what happened & may even replace them. But a tear like that is not good.
    BTW, I know they happen fast but pretty much any accident is your fault. More awareness would have had you avoiding when that car was anywhere near you. Riding in a group greatly increased your chance to crash; very distractring. Assume every car it trying to kill you, since alot are. I have found this mentality has helped me along in 220k+ miles of year round riding in & around NYC. You have no crumple zones, just awareness.
    jacket actually did its job just fine, only minor surface abrasions and could have been reused if the EMT's didn't cut it off me. None of the stitches/leather was overly damaged that i can tell.

I don't "blame" the car that cut me off since I did manage to totally the collision, its what happened after I avoided it that caused me to crash. The light headshake/wobble turned into the full lock to lock tankslap that did me in, and yes I've experienced headshake on many other bikes including this one before that I've dealt with, I tried shifting my weight to the back, relaxed but firm hold on the grips, and maintained throttle to ride it out and pray it'd go away. Normally I just accelerate a little and the wobble goes away but this time I had cars on either side and the guy in front of me so all i could do was maintain my speed but i was closing in on his bumper fast.

Anyway was my fault i went down, but i did what I could and it is what it is.

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

I think I would cry. Sorry man, but glad you're ok.

tank slappers like that are pretty scary. There's really nothing you can do, especially if you have obstacles around you. In this case, I have to say that bike design played a significant part in the crash. Inattention probably played a part as well, but its impossible to predict a tankslapper. On that bike, I'd say a damper is required equipment, and should come standard.

Paul_E_D

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast