Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

who could I bribe to help me with my XR?

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

who could I bribe to help me with my XR?

I have cuban cigars, good to great scotch
    Issue is my XR650 R carb I'm sure is gunked up. Need for some one to walk me through it and get her going

I had someone get it sorted last winter but didnt have a chance to ride this past year due to what ever issues... I'd like to get her sorted, put it to bed correctly then hit the ground this coming spring.

Any takers?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: who could I bribe to help me with my XR?

how different is it from the -L?

I have one and about to walk through the carb...I can't come to your house as I live in socal, but I don't mind do a picture tutorial if it's the same carb

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Are you mechanically inclined? I am not trying to be an asshole.
    Take the carb off, clean it out with a rag and a little cleanser. Take the jets out one at a time and
    run a piece of wire and then compressed air through them and reinstall. Put the carb
    back in and you should be OK.
    Drain any old gas, put in fresh stuff with Star Tron additive. Take your time, do one step at a time
    DON'T touch any idle or mixture screws and you should be all set.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

yup i'm mechanically inclined to a degree... figured that in case it isnt a carb problem or also a needle/ jet issue( not tuned right) that some one coudl help me with that. The XR is fickle in that respect from what I've read...

Also I'm a big fan of being taught once the correct wat with help vs. 2x ( first by myslef screwing it up then a second time to get it done right)

I may attempt it by myself.. if I no one is there but I also figure there may be some one to answer potential questions which I foresee ( read valve check/ shim etc)

the XR / L are essentially the same Breakdirt from what I understand.. except the dam seat. I 'd kill for your comfy barca lounger seat

hmmmm......

breakdirt and i troubleshot my '99 xr250 carb for hours one night. Felt like a carb stumble over and over again. bought a new a/m CDI and it still wouldn't fix it. Ended up being the smallest bit of corrosion between the harness and coil.

I still have a the CDI (used once) and spare (used) coil i'd let go cheap if you need them. Not sure how compatible the 650 and 250 are. I know the 250 and 400 are extremely similar.

Go on youtube.

I have the NESR-approved HF ultrasonic claner that works well for carb cleaning.

oh man, I remember that XR250...it just wouldn't rev out! damn poor connection made it start/idle fine, but it would top out at 4k rpm or so...thing was f'n mint once you got that sorted

so whadya say blackman...we taking XR selfies and cross posting on here? I can probably start by Monday

Lifer

+1 to Youtoobe.

If the carb was tuned right before, it still is. Jets may be clogged, but that doesn't mean you need to retune. It means you need to clean the carb.

Personally, I'm done with the noxious carb cleaner and dips of yesteryear. Non-toxic simple green and water in an $80 HF ultrasonic cleaner seems to do the trick for me. No need to protect the rubber parts either. (Carb cleaner eats that rubber.) I will lend you mine if you are unwilling to pick one up. But really, they are handy, get one.

It's a thumper, so there's nothing to balance.

I also agree with the star-tron. Stabil works too. I hear seafoam works well too, seems to require much higher doses though.

i'm down with that breakdirt..... as matter of fact.. i wil go get that supersonic cleaner. looks like there is a 20% coupon so I can ge t it for 68$. but only if it shipped? we'll see if I can pick it up insteas its in Danvers or medford for me.....

hmmmm......

Lifer

There's a tax free store in Salem. Wonder if that's any closer to you than Danvers.

I picked up the ultrasonic cleaner for myself...if anyone on nesr can't do it for ya, worst case scenario, ship me your carb and I'll zap it for ya

the carb was actually pretty easy to twist sideways to get access to the bowl...but I'm guessing it's best to pull her all the way out

actually my buddy from RI who knows the xr back and frontwards stopped by on sat. We worked on her for about 7 hours, got real close
    The HF cleaner was used for jets and needles. This weekend i'm going to tear the carb entirely apart( we didnt last wknd as it appeared pretty good, only cleaned select pieces) and put in the correct jets and needles and pilots with correct settigns for the clips on the needle ( 68s jet? and a B something needle, the ideal setup for the XR) Seems the last guy who worked on it last put it back to stock jetting making it hard to start and causing stumbling issues. Me putting int he correct setup this weekend should put the issue to bed. Hopefully. Then I need to work on some other smaller issues during the winter....

hmmmm......

whoa, you run a 68 pilot jet??

must be a little different b/w the -L and the -R then...

I have a 45 in there, and it's clearly not the right one (especially with the aftermarket exhaust), but google says most people run a 55, which is what I'm planning on doing

so you guys just did the carb? oil change? valves?

Note the last 2 carbs I tuned up there was an O ring around the float seat as a seal to the carb body.

They had dried and shrunk and let gas AROUND the float valve

Replace it out of hand poor design bad juju

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

yup this is waht we wilbe changing over too... and the linkHere is my list of stuff to do the uncorking

2a)Replace the needle seat from Part # 16012-MBN-641 (B53E)

(photo)

3) Replace the main jet using part # 99101-357-1750 (#175)

(photo)
    4) Replace the pilot jet using part # 99105-MBN-0680 (68s)
    (More detail & photo needed here... )

Oil was just changed a bit ago so shoudl be fine , have to warm her up get her going to get a proper reading though. Didnt even try the valves just yet.. that's a winter project I think. Want to get her going right first. That ultrasonic cleaner is the bomb though

hmmmm......

so little update on this...
    My buddy helped me on this about 3 months ago and it sat since then. But back them we got her to start her up but issues with a nice even fuel delivery.
    Appears last time I had some one do the carb I gave them a stock carb rebuild kit, he essentially replaced all the upgrades listed above with the stock , which is why it was so hard to turn over, ran so very lean.

Me and my buddy only got halfway done in replacing/ cleaning and removing the stock items to the upgraded parts.

I took the carb apart again this Sunday( first time by myself) and confirmed that we screwed up in our old age eyesight and had put in a 65s jet not a 68s jet. I put an order in yesterday for a replacement and 2 spares. removed the stock needle threw in the B53E needle. confirmed the 175 main jet.
    But here is the funny thing. I couldn't find the needle jet anywhere when I was tearing her apart. So i have an order for that in now. I think I've been running without it forever?

Either way hopefully I'll have the xr650r up and running and next week get it plated in MA That Harbor Freight Sonicator has worked wonders! great investment.

The gaskets appear great takign everything apart.

Oh here is the obligatory dumbass move by me.. I already lost one of the bolts to screw on the float bowl cover. Peeved me but I went to Home depot to bu replacement allen head bolts same spec. Brought them home on monday.... I've lost those too. (Smacks head)

hmmmm......