Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brush/hand guards - recommendations?

Brush/hand guards - recommendations?

I put the cheap Chinese Acerbis copies on my YZ. They broke the first time I dropped it. Cast aluminum crumbled, plastic shattered. I'm looking at the Cycra Pro Bend. Any first hand experience with these or others that they are affordable, work, and take a lickin'?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Re: Brush/hand guards - recommendations?

Why not get the real Acerbis?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

I'm not so sure the ones labelled "Acerbis" really are quality.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

I've had a few different kinds, to include the cycras, the plastic clad aluminum acerbis, enduro engineering, msr, and the OG bark busters.
    I think the ee, msr, and bb versions are all exactly the same, and I'll continue to use and abuse them. They've easily been my favorite. Simple, effective, not too expensive.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

X2 on the EE. They are cheap song and made in the USA. I have the pro bends on my KTM but only because they are made for the Flexx bars specifically, not that they are bad, i just prefer EE in most cases.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

x3 EE, i've used the current set on my last two bikes, they've taken a beating and still work like new. two sets of Pro Bends before that, those were tough too, especially the triple clamp mount version.

Beta 200RR

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i think mine are Moose. i havent tried smashing them into a tree or rock yet but they seem stout.
    i have the acerbis supermoto ones on my 690. those have seen the tarmac at least twice with not even a dimple.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

EE on my YZ and Cycras on my Huskys both have hit the ground and both still live on

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    I'm not so sure the ones labelled "Acerbis" really are quality.

Mine have hit the ground several times on my DR, twice hard enough to tweak the bars in the tree, and have held up fine. I spit myself off it on the rocky part of the hero section on the Bayley Hazen and they survived just fine.

I've seen BBs break from a drop at at a gas station.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

The moose are the same as the ee/msr, I believe. There's about eleventy billion ones that are the same product with different stickers.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I can second the Chinese ones off eBay being made out of the finest white chocolate. At some point I'll get something better, likely Acerbis which I've had awesome luck with racing minis. I absolutely love the G2 threaded bar inserts for mounts now too, whatever you run for guards use threaded inserts instead of the normal expanding garbage.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

^ was going to say the same thing about threaded inserts. i don't have them yet but want to upgrade. think you can get them from Cycra too.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I absolutely love the G2 threaded bar inserts for mounts now too, whatever you run for guards use threaded inserts instead of the normal expanding garbage.
    We're talking about these nylon inserts? I have problems with the guards I have on the KTM backing out every time I toss the machine on the ground.

Not chucking the machine on the ground would probably solve the problem too. But really, throwing money at the problem seems like a more realistic solution.

MSR - great unless you lowside at Loudon because then they'll hurt your hand. For everything else, cheap and effective.

Last edited by cdovego; 10-22-15 at 09:13 AM. Reason: fat fingered it
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

I had Cycras on my supermoto and just ordered a set of cycras for my woods bike. They're quality.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    We're talking about these nylon inserts? I have problems with the guards I have on the KTM backing out every time I toss the machine on the ground.

Not chucking the machine on the ground would probably solve the problem too. But really, throwing money at the problem seems like a more realistic solution.
    After being recommended by TripleTaco, I gave these Tusk bar end clamps a shot and they are leaps and bounds better than the factory ones. Best of all, they are only $8/pair!

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...3865086&ref=cj

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Ha, I was considering posting a similar thread!

I have the Acerbis Rally X on the KTM. I dropped it off a rock from totally upright, onto another rock that was about a foot lower, and bent the handguard. Not bad for a 5' fall and landing right on it. I'm ordering another pair.

The CR250 has (a) chinese knockoff on it. I recognize that it is a one-time, sacrifice yourself in favor of the clutch lever, type thing, and it's also potentially handy(get it?!) for left turn ovals to avoid getting the controls tangled(in theory...I doubt I'll ever put the bar near enough anything to matter).

I put a set of Acerbis Rally Pro X-Strong on the CR. They mounted up nice. The mounting hardware is top shelf. I only tested them in the normal tree bashing manor and they worked mint and look new.. Right now they are on sale at Motosport for $83.99

Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    I put a set of Acerbis Rally Pro X-Strong on the CR. They mounted up nice. The mounting hardware is top shelf. I only tested them in the normal tree bashing manor and they worked mint and look new.. Right now they are on sale at Motosport for $83.99
    Yeah, that's the correct name for what I have.

Isn't Motosport one of Adam Clark's sponsors? I was gonna just order from Amazon cause I'm lazy, but I'd rather get them there if so.

Lifer

Unfortunately I suck enough to use the living hell out of my hand guards. This shit is important to me.

I have Tusk "D-Flex" guards on the DRZ. They work well and I'm actually impressed with how stout they are. They have a much more substantial bar end insert than many other guards I've seen. What sucks is they do not have enough space for the controls. I must have the "big bar adapter" mounts as I definitely do not have the very not-stout looking hinged mounts pictured in the ads. Still, PO had to install a spacer to get clearance for the brake. Clutch side sometimes hangs up. Although the setup works enough for me to leave it. I'd rate the Tusks as "okay", not great.

KTM has guards with a giant "M" on them. They smack of cheapness. I presume they are Moose Racing cheapies. They sure look like the EE and gazillion other clones mentioned here. I'm sure they are the same and just rebranded. The bar end insert on these blow. One drop and they start to back out; never tight enough. Also I position my controls such that they are no longer behind the guards. The guards can't be adjusted down enough. Clearance is okay but probably less than even the Tusks. The KTM has shorty levers and everything is pillow soft hydro so two fingers is plenty on either control. I am not sure they'd work at all on the four-fingers needed DRZ. I'd call these guards fine. They work and for the price I'd consider them disposable and be done with it.

I've pretzeled the throttle side guard enough to warrant replacement. Looking at an upgrade.

I like the look of the Cycra "pro bend" guards. From what I've seen the control clearance on the Cycras is generous and the bend looks to protect controls when positioned where you actually want them when standing. I like that they have better bar mounting options. The triple pinch bolt mounts look awesome, but won't fit my KTM due to the top triple design. (Pinch bolts are on the backside of the clamp.) I have Renthal tapered bars that are 1 1/8" at the bar mounts and 7/8" at the controls. Cycra has special bar clamps that work with these bars or pro-tapers, etc. They also have bar mount caps that have the handguard mounts integrated. Neat. But does that work? No adjustability as the pitch of the guards will be fixed. And I don't think they'd clear either of the masks (headlight, flat number plate) I have for the bike. Not sure they wouldn't interfere with the instruments either.

Anyone have Cycras on a late model KTM? What's your clamp setup of choice?

Seems like the EE/Moose/whatever knockoffs bought and replaced every few years is the safe way to go. Maybe spring for the Tusk bar end inserts. Or better yet, threaded inserts like this. (I think Josh recommended these.) Beat. Replace. Repeat.

I might, come Monday...
    Pm me your phone number, homie.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Anyone have Cycras on a late model KTM? What's your clamp setup of choice?

I do. The are on my flexx bars. I dislike how they sit strongly, they always seem too low, but it't the only option i know of.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

Seems to me the upside of the Cycras is the fancy mounting. Don't think any of them will work with the KTM though. These bar clamp tops do not look like they will fit with the mask or gauges in place. These triple pinch mounts won't work because the KTM pinches are on the back. Seems like the only setup that would work is the standard bar mounts.

If so, meh.

Seems like the cheapies from your vendor of choice is the way to go. Abuse. Replace as needed.

I have OG 90's acerbis plastic...they have tumbled down a rocky hills and looped a wheelie at 40-50mph and dragged across pavwment 100 feet easily

They are scratched the F up but intact!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast