Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buells, alright/stay away/run away

Buells, alright/stay away/run away

Got rid of my sporty bike earlier this year, big mistake in more ways than one. I have the itch to get a fun bike again, but don't want to spend much $$, and want something I can take to track days, and twin is a big plus. Looking around, I've found some Buells for decent prices, but not sure about how good they really are and how much support is out there for them. Any insight would be great. (please don't turn this into a buy an SV thread, next bike will not be Japanese) Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Buells, alright/stay away/run away

Heck yeah, get a Buell.. You'll dig it.

Loved mine, Squirrel can let you know if it's still going well.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Lots of Buell support, starting with this great forum:

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/

Check with NESR member eboos, he [used to race] a Buell.

Last edited by whynot; 07-10-12 at 12:59 PM. Reason: I stand corrected.
    And don't believe everything you think.

He used to race a Buell...

What kind of support are you looking for? The xb is a tremendous street whip, but it's not suited for the racetrack. Trust me, I tried. I had a 9s lightning and miss it every day. I will probably own another one. You can't kill the motors unless you do stupid shit to them, and their only common issues are the wiring harnesses and leaky rocker boxes.
    For a street bike: absotudleutely.
    For a track mount: meh...you CAN, but you've been warned.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I like buells, looking for one myself.

Lifer

I'd ride one...

I have a buddy that is getting ready to sell his red Buell lightning...I think it's an 06...he is selling it cause he wants to get a ktm exc...if you are interested shoot me a PM and i'll get you more info

Last edited by Point37; 07-10-12 at 09:40 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Attachment 30490
    Buells are not as bad as most think. Very fun bikes. This was back in the day when Chipper used to actually lead rides!

I've always liked Buells. I think I did a demo ride on every model they offered at one point. I'm still pining for a mint 1125CR. Curious to see what EBR's upcoming models will look like.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Was one of the many that started riding on a blast. Loved the simple nature of the bike. Learned more about wrenching around on it (more my inquisitiveness than reliability) than I expected. Just recently picked up a 99 M2. Comfortable bike with much punch. Not that I really have too much to compare it to. But super fun, simple, and not a load of them on the road.

Bulls are awesome, just need to maintain and check it regularly.

Buells are a lot of fun to ride; great real-world bikes. Build quality was sketchy back in the '90's, but got a lot better when Harley bought in (that was a benefit of the deal). I testrode several over the years, but didn't buy one since I always plan to run whatever I buy for at least 100K, and I was dubious about the Harley-based engines doing that (although I do know one guy who has done it, on an old tube-frame S2 Thunderbolt, no less).

Harley has committed to supporting them for parts and service for a few years (I forget whether it's 7 or 10), but they haven't promised to be cheerful about it or for the dealers to welcome you with open arms. After that, there's no guarantees, so whoever owns them at that point will need to have a little extra dedication and ingenuity.

The 1125 Rotax-engined ones should fare better in the long term; they are better bikes to start with, and EBR has expressed interest in supporting them, viewing them more as part of the new generation than the old (and can get the mech parts from Rotax instead of depending on Harley).

So I wouldn't have much qualms about buying a 1125R or 1125CR. I would only buy a Harley-engined Buell as a short term plan, though, and not expect to keep it for the long term.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

The tube type bulls ARE sportster engines, so Harley will likely have parts for eternity, because I doubt Harley will ever change those engines...
    The xb use a mix of stuff. Sourcing parts shouldn't be too big of a deal, there's plenty of used ones out there, and the consumables, (clutches and bearings) are Harley stuff. Brake pads and all that other junk is made by ebc or somebody anyways.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Does and for how long will Rotax support the 1125? I found one I am interested in, but not sure if it is a good idea yet. Or if I really need one...

For street they are great bikes. A little heavy, and takes a bit more effort to turn in than a modern sport bike but still a great street bike. I may get another one soon.

For track they are explosions waiting to happen.

Another warning from a past Buell owner...

Thumbs up Re: Buells, alright/stay away/run away

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post
    Bulls are awesome, just need to maintain and check it regularly.
    Just like any other motorcycle - no more just because it's a Buell (less in some respects, since you have no chain maintenance). All I've done to mine is change the oil/filter regularly, adjust the primary chain and clutch, and swap brake pads and tires.

As Gino mentioned, I'm selling my XB9S after 4+ awesome years. It's a more-than-competant street weapon, and quite fun on the track or serious twisties (read: Deal's Gap) as well. My only qualm with it track-wise is I need to change the fork oil (never done it) as it's a bit bouncy right now.

You won't keep up with SS bikes (with a pre-Rotax Buell) on the straights, but anything past that just depends on your riding skill. Tons of torque. An XB9S will top out ~126 indicated, but do you really need to go faster than that?

I absolutely love the bike. I get bored with toys very easily (a new car at least every 2 years, used to be a new bike every 6-18 months), but I've had my XB since Feb. 08 --- if that tells you anything.

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

i had an XB12S, loved it. should have never let it go.

Beta 200RR

Well, definitely not going to be racing it, just plan on some track days. I don't ride well, so grandma on her honda scoot would take me on the inside. I don't care about super performance, just want something that feels good, and not cookie cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    I have a buddy that is getting ready to sell his red Buell lightning...I think it's an 06...he is selling it cause he wants to get a ktm exc...if you are interested shoot me a PM and i'll get you more info
    he rode it into work today...he took the firebolt fairing off and swapped out the bars but has all the original parts

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

I owned a 2009 1125R for a couple of years, fabulous bike. I change bikes too often, so I sold it (and got the Street Triple R.)

Reasons for selling? Nothing really all that bad, but I can think of three, all easily overcome. One was dealing with H-D dealers (for warranty). Plus I could never get the ergos right on the R model, while the CR has handlebars, so that would have been a better choice for me. The Rotax puts out a lot more power and therefore lots more heat than the Harley-powered models, so the fuel tank/frame got pretty warm, and heated up the gas pretty good. Buell fiddled with tank breather hoses, but the main fix (as of 2010 anyway) was to install the California charcoal canister. Just some thoughts on my experience. So if I were considering one again I think I'd spend more time on that Buell forum to see what others have experienced and have done.

Last edited by whynot; 07-11-12 at 11:09 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Posting Freak

I had an '07 XBss which I loved, and now have had an '08 1125r since brandy new. The XB's seem bulletproof with their Harley motors, mine was a XB12 and I have heard the XB9 is actually more fun to wind up... The 1125 was rushed to production and done to Erik Buell's spec with Harley handcuffing him at every corner. I haven't had any of the 1125 problems that people speak of. Mine has run like a top, even with the stock exhaust/tuning. The stock exhaust WILL rust out up here in New England, mine did and I know of at least 3 others that have. They rust from the inside out so no chance of catching and fixing. The '09 and '10s had stator issues, but had other updates over the '08. My bike has a Barker exhaust and PC-V tuned up at Seacoast. I have none of the lugging issues and can run mine around at 2500-3000k all day (but who does that). The frames do get hot, hot, HOT! I added insulation to the inside of the frame/fuel tank and the bike runs cooler both on my legs and oddly on the coolant displayed temp. Upgrading the rotor/pads up front to EBR spec stuff improves feel/fade up front greatly.

Nick

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

think my ears are still ringing. Holly hell

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Posting Freak

HEY! I resemble that remark!!!

You should ride it now Gino, totally different since you rode it last.... Oh and your ears won't hurt..... as bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast