Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

insurance question

insurance question

So I'm looking at picking up a new road bike and did a little shopping around for insurance and have a question. I'm looking at a leftover duc 1198 and over the weekend got a quote from progressive for $4500 a year for the state minimum coverage. After seeing that quote I instantly gave up hope on getting a new bike, I'm 23 with one ticket in the last 3 years and a few from when I was 17-18 so I knew my premium would be somewhat high but 4500 was insane. My previous bikes were under my parents insurance so I can't even compare it really. Now today I called my insurance company who I've had all my vehicles through since I started driving and they quoted me 1075. I emailed them back and asked if this was right and they confirmed it was for the same full coverage that I have on my truck which is well above state minimum. My question is can I hold them to the quote? It almost seems to low to be true, I don't want to pick up the bike and find out they some how screwed up my quote and I won't be able to afford it.
    Thanks,
    Dan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "When there's a gap you either commit yourself as a professional racing driver that is designed to win races or you come second or you come third or come fifth, and I'm not designed to come third, fourth, or fifth. I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."
    Ayrton Senna

Re: insurance question

Get the quote in writing. Easy enough.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Your insurance company's quote sounds fairly accurate based on your age and record. If nothing else, it still seems a little high to me.
    I can't imagine Progressive's quote was correct... I think somebody added one too many zeroes!
    Ask your own company to e-mail you their quote and coverage.

I agree with Iglu. Get the quote in writing that way there is no chance of you buying a bike that you cannot afford to insure. I had a similar instance with Progressive. They quoted me $4000 a year for full coverage and that's with me being 30 and not having a ticket since I was in my teens. The guy on the phone kept trying to tell me that "his" price is the norm and anywhere else would be the same if not more. I told him to fist himself and went with my car insurer Commerce. Best part is when I opened another policy with Comm I was granted a multi policy discount.

Shannon

Anytime I've ever done a quote through progressive's online insta-quote system for a motorcycle, its been absurdly high, very similary to what you got as a quote. My insurance company has always been much lower. I think the progressive quote for my 04 cbr600 a few years ago was about $3000 for full coverage, and when I actually insured it with Liberty Mutual it ended up being around $500.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Thanks guys ill contact them tomorrow and get the quote in writing. If its right then ill be picking up my dream bike before the weekend.

"When there's a gap you either commit yourself as a professional racing driver that is designed to win races or you come second or you come third or come fifth, and I'm not designed to come third, fourth, or fifth. I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."
    Ayrton Senna

If you have basic liablity coverage it will be dirt cheap, the problem when you dont own the bike outright....they cut your balls off...with insane premiums.

Lifer

I have found Progressive to be very competitive. I have my cars through Liberty and just can't justify moving the bike to them; they want too much more than Progressive does.

My comprehensive coverage is peanuts compared to the base liability. While I do carry a large deductible, I also have upgraded coverages.

Although I am in NH, over 30, and ticket free for a long time.

Why Lie? It Was Me.... HO-HUM-R1's Avatar

I have two cars currently insured with progressive, but when i quoted the bike it was about 1200. a year more than the company i ended up using. I had the new company quote the cars and they were actually a bit higher than progressive. funny how different companies vary.

2006 Yamaha R1, Graves Full Exhaust, BST Carbon Fiber Wheels, K&N Air Filter, EGR Blockoffs, Factory Pro Velocity Stacks, Power Commander 5, Stealth 520 Conversion -1/+1, FP levers, Ohlins shock, Ohlins fg327 forks, Ohlins steering damper, Sato racing rearsets, Goodridge SS shadow brakelines, EBC Extreme pads, Braking SK wave rotors F&R. few other appearance mods.

I called progressive to see how much for my r1, they wanted 4 times as much as what I was paying. My friend found that they were real cheap for his ninjette.

If you have aaa, commerce is real cheap and you get a aaa member discount.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Holy hell that's crazy money for insurance. My bike is $209 a year. No collision, but it has comp and I have higher liability limits. All three of my street vehicles total are $804, granted the cages are old. NH considers me a habitual offender fwiw too.

Might want to check into Plymouth Rock...

2012 Tiger 800 XC

From my experience, when it comes to motorcycle insurance in MA (not sure about other states), Progressive is typically 4-5 times more expensive than say, Liberty Mutual or Commerce. I remember when I first got my 250R and did the self assessment quote on Progressive's website which I later confirmed over the phone with a rep. Close to $3,500 a year for full coverage (limits not close to the extremes either). I explained that if I took that coverage, I would be paying for a new bike every year but like Dip D mentioned above, the rep kept insisting that the price of the quote was the norm. When I stated that Liberty M quoted me at ~$500/year, she just went silent and decided to inform me that they must have screwed up the quote because there was no way it would be such a big difference. I later found out that Progressive bases quotes on the "risk" of the bike. So sportbikes gets dinged harder than say, cruisers.

Cliffs:
    Screw Progressive, just go with Liberty M or Commerce (or shop around some more).

-Airj

Progressive is pretty good in nh, my bike insurance is nothing and that's with high coverage limits. They also cover 3k in accessories and their trip insurance is pretty cool as I do a lot of long distance rides.

4000 for insurance?!?!?! HOLY SHIT! thats all i have to say, i am under 1000 for my truck and bike. given i dont have any tickets (well in the process of fighting a $380 one but thats another story) pretty much have basic insurance on both and yr round on the bike. i highly doubt it should be that high or even close to that. you need to look into it more

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    ..and their trip insurance is pretty cool as I do a lot of long distance rides.
    Is this a rider you picked up? I thumbed through my policy again and don't see mention of this trip insurance. Dets?!

It's road side assistance/trip insurance and cost me 15$ a year but if I ever needed it pays for tows, hotels, and food but I have to be 100 miles from home.