Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Building my garage / workshop (56K death)

Quote Originally Posted by newgixxerchic View Post
    haha very funny.
    Thanks folks... I'll be here all night
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbbikes View Post
    Looks toight! Toight like a tiger!!

Nice work meng!

KB
    Thanks bro. Right after xmas I'm gonna get a big chunk of work done, methinks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Did a couple little things the other day.

I mounted up boxes and ran wires for all of the speaker outlets.

Also, I modified the subpanel a bit to follow convention... the neutral and ground wires needed to be on separate bus bars, and the hot lines coming in needed to run through a main breaker before going to the individual breakers.

Gettin shit done, son.

Updated... new ground bus bar, new main breaker.

After xmas I'm planning to make a ton of progress, mainly on the drywall and the construction of the doors.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Re: Building my garage / workshop (56K death)

Over 750 views and only like half a dozen responses that aren't from me? You guys suck.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

So in the past few days I've made some pretty decent drywall progress. The ceiling in both rooms is completely done, including boxing in the little spotlights. I started the walls, I've done the whole back wall in the main room, and half of the wall that interfaces the two rooms. Did a couple wiring things, added a dedicated outlet under the workbench for the minifridge,other odds and ends. There are a couple portions of wall that cannot be drywalled until later, because I have to design and build the garage doors, and design and build a door to replace the small door in the small room that goes to the outside.

Here's some shots of the progress:

Back wall, ceiling (notice that my 'work table' looks like I had a huge coke party ... gotta love drywall):

Side wall, ceiling with boxed in spotlights:

Ceiling:

Side wall, ceiling with boxed in spotlights:

Looking from the main room into the small room:

Looking from the small room into the main room:

Comin' along decently now that I've been able to put in a couple consecutive full days

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Lookin' good man. Keep the updates flowing!

Quote Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
    Lookin' good man. Keep the updates flowing!
    Thanks buddy!

Here's an update from today....:

Did a couple more things today....

Finished almost all of the drywall that can be done before the main doors and the small side door are all sorted out. There is a small portion in the smaller room that can still be done, probably about an hour of work.

It's all a mental thing, but once you get those sheet up on the ceiling and wall, you really feel like you've actually done something.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Posting Freak

Looks fantastic man!!

Quote Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
    Over 750 views and only like half a dozen responses that aren't from me? You guys suck.
    that's because everyone too busy seeing R7's build up. and i'd leave a "good job" comment if you werent such an anti-gixxer jackass

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Just Registered The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

Looks good!

Just an after thought, did you consider track lighting for over your workbench? what about a wall mounted light with a cord that recoils so you can see under the bike or whatever your workin on?

---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

I hope you are a good taper.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Pretty sweet.

Boston --> San Diego

Looks like fun. I will be a GC and doing all the electrical for my brothers basement soon and I'm getting excited to make plan and print it out before all work is done. Aside from the other electrical responses to your wiring, that main breaker is suppose to go in the main building panel to protect the feeder to your sub panel, not in your sub panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    Looks fantastic man!!
    Thanks dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    i'd leave a "good job" comment if you werent such an anti-gixxer jackass
    I don't want a 'good job' from a gixxer rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TESTINGurTOMATO View Post
    Looks good!

Just an after thought, did you consider track lighting for over your workbench? what about a wall mounted light with a cord that recoils so you can see under the bike or whatever your workin on?
    I've never had great luck with track lights, that's why I went with these spot lights. They are very small, bright, and will look nice all flush with the ceiling. They are 4", white, and very bright. They are sort of like this:

As far as a snake light, I have mounted an outlet in the ceiling in the center of the room. I intend to mount there one of those small retractable extension cord spools that can lock at a given length or retract back up into the housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    I hope you are a good taper.
    Me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Pretty sweet.
    Thanks bro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayspeed View Post
    Looks like fun. I will be a GC and doing all the electrical for my brothers basement soon and I'm getting excited to make plan and print it out before all work is done. Aside from the other electrical responses to your wiring, that main breaker is suppose to go in the main building panel to protect the feeder to your sub panel, not in your sub panel.
    PMed... enough electrical debate has occurred here

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

So, after some pretty hectic times at work, I was finally able to get some more work done on the garage in the weekend right after my birthday.

The main thing hanging over my head at this point is building the garage doors, as well as the door in the small room needing to be ripped out and a new one built. Like I said before, some companies will charge anywhere between 5 and 20 grand for a set of 'carriage house' doors.... which is ludicrous. I'll just build them myself.

So, all of the drywall being done save for three small strips around the small door and large doors, I decided to tackle the big project. It took almost an entire day just to measure, come up with a plan, verify structural integrity, buy the materials, and be ready to get started. Swinging doors are much more difficult than traditional garage doors due to their tendency to sag over time if not built properly.

The key here is to keep weight down while still making them nice and strong, make them able to be very well insulated, resistant to weather, decent looking, etc.
    Here is the general shape I came up with. This is the left door, the right would be a mirror image of this.

The main beam for the hinging is a 4x4, the rest of the boards are 2x4's. I'll use 5/16" lag bolts for all of the fasteners (four on the top and bottom of the 4x4, 2 on all the 2x4 joints. Also, the cross beam going from near top to far bottom should alleviate some load from the door wanting to sag. When I find a decent set of hinges, I will use lag bolts to attach each side of the hinge into the 4x4's (the static post the doors hang on is also a 4x4). The outside of the doors will be clad with Texture 1-11 with the more narrow grooves... looks decent, treated for weather, paints well, lightweight. The doors inside will be filled with some foam insulation. The inside of the doors will be clad with some very thin wood sheeting and painted. The bottom of the doors will have rubber 'wiper'-type weatherstrips, the center seal will be similar. The top and sides will have rubber stripping tacked into the door fram so that as the doors are closed they will seal up. The center will use on of those vertical rod locks that will go down into a hole drilled in the concrete.

It took all of another day to frame the doors in and get everything all squared and solid. It was worth it. You could hang a fucking car on these support posts. They are pressure treated 4x4's that are secured to the structure of the building with 1/2" lag bolts that are 10" long. They are perfectly square and level. Also, the last piece of wall had not yet been built because I hadn't decided how the door framing was going to do, so I built that... powder-actuated nail cannon to put the base PT 2x4 into the ground, framed the rest, insulated it, mounted the lightswitch. Here is a view from outside, followed by a few closeups:

Left side (if looking in from outside)

Right side (if looking from outside):

Last bit of wall framed:

One thing you can't see in any of the pictures but that I did do, and was fairly time consuming, was that I installed all of the outlets into the outlet boxes. There are 10 of them... but now I turned all the breakers on so I don't have to run extension cords anymore. Wired up the switch for the spotlights too.

Lastly, I wired up the little spotlights for over the workbench and over the tool chests. These things were a little bitch... cramming all the wires and wire nuts into the junction boxes and then getting them up and into the holes I cut in the drywall and up into the little boxes I framed in. Big pain. It's not readily apparent in these photos, but these little lights are going to provide some great worklight in those two areas.

Workbench lights:

Toolbox lights:

Turned the main lights off, workbench lights:

Now work sucks again, which is why I haven't been on here recently, but hopefully I'll be able to get out there and get some more work done soon.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

That project is coming along nicey. I am a bit jealous that I don't have a bat cave like that to convert into a nice workshop....

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
    Left to do:
    - Hang boxes and run wires for speakers (have parts already)
    - Hang other two small light boxes
    - Modify the subpanel (add a 60amp main breaker and ground bus bar... have the parts)
    - Build and hang doors
    - Finish putting up plastic sheeting
    - Drywall hanging, mudding, sanding
    - Paint
    - Install all outlets, switches, and faceplates (after paint, obviously)
    - Put down epoxy floor coating (medium gray with black, red, and white paint chips)
    - Crack a beer and admire the work
    If you need a hand with that last one, let me know. I do that all the time and I'm quite proficient at it now.

LOL, Nice work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    If you need a hand with that last one, let me know. I do that all the time and I'm quite proficient at it now.

LOL, Nice work!!!
    Me too... I'm getting good. I don't even need work to admire anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Degsy

LOL, Nice work!!!

Seems to be the trend lately..and I'm starting to get good at that as well In fact, I plan on admiring a lot of work this Saturday evening if'n someones looking for something to do

Shop looks great Chris..how about some more pictures of the bike though

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    That project is coming along nicey. I am a bit jealous that I don't have a bat cave like that to convert into a nice workshop....
    Thanks! It will hopefully end up nice and be my little getaway place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post

LOL, Nice work!!!
    Alright ya lush!! Thanks man. Maybe when it's done and it's a nice day we'll go on a little group ride and then come back to check out the garage, do a little wrenching and have lunch/beers.
    Quote Originally Posted by trickphoto View Post
    That's been my main problem for a couple years...
    Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Seems to be the trend lately..and I'm starting to get good at that as well In fact, I plan on admiring a lot of work this Saturday evening if'n someones looking for something to do

Shop looks great Chris..how about some more pictures of the bike though
    Thanks man!

Bike is an 06 r6, not many mods... pazzo shorties, woodcraft clipons, seat cowl, fender elim, proton flushies, team skeen racing frame sliders, spools, barend sliders, painted my stock windscreen black. At this point, I plan to pour my money into trackdays and tires for the most part. That will make me faster than any gofast parts ever will.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Finally, after a really chitty week at work, spending until 11pm there thursday, friday, and saturday... I was able to take the day off on sunday and get some work done on the garage.

I built the structure/frame for both of the swinging doors. They are REALLY sturdy. So far, I'm definitely happy with my decision to build these myself. The 4x4's on each door will be closest to the hinges, the 2x4's in the center.

The 2x4's on the top and bottom are connected to the vertical boards via 5/16"x3" lag bolts with washers, countersunk. There are 4 going into the top and bottom of the 4x4, 2 going into the top and bottom of the 2x4, and then 2 going into the top and bottom of the 2x4 cross-support board.

Built the first one:

Built the other one:

Looking pretty good:

I have a plan for the cladding front and back, adhesive, insulation, hinges, weather stripping, ground wipers and center flap, as well as the locking/closing mechanism, and an idea for center casters for support to prevent sag. I think this will all take one more full day of work. Then, I will just need to paint them and hang them up!

Really coming together now

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Did some more work on the doors this past weekend, unfortunately only one day's worth, and was able to completely finish their construction. They are pretty heavy, but as long as I use proper hinges, the added strength, durability, insulating quality, and weather resistance should be worth it.

A lot of the machine supply places I've been looking at for hinges are ridiculously overpriced. Luckily, I have a buddy who does tons of custom metalwork and makes his own ornate railings and gates, and he has even fashioned a pair of hinges for 40 foot tall solid wood doors. I am gonna take a trip to his shop and we'll make some nice hinges for not too much money.

So the doors are built around the frames I described in my last post. For the front cladding, I used texture 1-11 with roughly 4" wide grooves. It's attached via lots of construction adhesive (liquid nails, good stuff) and some 1.25" exterior screws. The construction adhesive I used all around will actually add a ton of strength to the doors, as well as sealing them from water and weather. Then, I used some 2" thick foam insulation (R12 insulating factor... nice, and a little pricey) to fill the door. I used construction adhesive to attach it to the back of the front T-1-11, so behind it will be a roughly 1.5" air gap, which will help even more for insulating. Then, the inside cladding is just 1/4" finished luon, attached via construction adhesive and 1.25" finish nails.

Here is the doors as built this weekend.

Mid-Build:

All done:

You can see the T-1-11 Pretty well on the underside of this door from the side. I guess I forgot to take photos of the outsides of the doors.

I have all the rest of planned out exactly, except for the hinges.

One door will lock to the other upon closing via a gate latch, like this:

Then, the doors will lock in place via a cane bolt / plunge latch down into the concrete. I have the bit, and a hammer drill. Easy. It is sort of like this:

There will be wipers along the bottom of each door to seal against the ground, and a wider one mounted in the center to cover the gap between the doors.

Rubber weatherstripping will be tacked all around the door frame on the building in such a way that as the door is pulled shut the last couple inches, all the weatherstripping will be lightly compressed, and seal the garage.

I plan to find rigid casters with a slight offset from their mounting plate that will be attached such that as the door is pulled shut the last couple inches, a lot of the load will be taken off the hinges and supported by the casters.

Now, just have to paint them (using black exterior paint on the front and sides... the inside will be white interior paint) and hang them. I'm going out there tomorrow to paint the doors at the very least.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Posting Freak

make sure and save a spot for the chinese shag swing

Those doors do look heavy Personally, I'd go with a stainless 4" commercial grade hinge for those. You can buy them in sets of 3 at most door shops. Expensive..yes, but you'll never have a problem with them, plus they have ball bearings built in so they won't squeek and sag over time. Oh yeah, and a security set screw to keep someone from popping out the pin and opening your doors by the hinge side.

Also you're going to want one of those cane bolt doohickies at the bottom and top of your door. Again commercial hardware could be your friend in this case as well. I have some on my camp doors in Maine, very small and VERY strong.

Looken good, now finnish it and get some more pictures of the bike

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Those doors do look heavy Personally, I'd go with a stainless 4" commercial grade hinge for those. You can buy them in sets of 3 at most door shops. Expensive..yes, but you'll never have a problem with them, plus they have ball bearings built in so they won't squeek and sag over time. Oh yeah, and a security set screw to keep someone from popping out the pin and opening your doors by the hinge side.

Also you're going to want one of those cane bolt doohickies at the bottom and top of your door. Again commercial hardware could be your friend in this case as well. I have some on my camp doors in Maine, very small and VERY strong.

Looken good, now finnish it and get some more pictures of the bike
    Thanks for the advice, Mark. I have another buddy who builds windows and doors, mostly commercial applications, so I'm gonna chat with him and figure it out.

So last Saturday I was able to paint the doors. I used a Behr exterior paint with primer built in and it went down very nicely, just took a little effort.

Before painted, I lightly sanded down the front face of the texture 1 - 11 to get it nice and smooth with a belt sander. It's pretty rough when you buy it. This would look better, and make the paint go on easier...

I used some putty on all of the screw holes and little imperfections. Here they are, all prepped for paint:

Laid on the first coat:

Laid on the second coat nice and thick... came out pretty well:

This weekend I'm planning to head out there and paint the inside face of both doors. I have some hinges coming next week so the doors are on hold until then. I am going to try to start figuring out the small door in the other room and if I think of a good idea that is doable same day I will get started on it. Otherwise I will get going on the drywall mudding.... ugh...

Work sucks, otherwise this shit would have been done months and months ago.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Finished painting the other sides of the doors.

Did a couple errands and figured out a thorough plan for the small door. Just have to enact it now.

Cameraphone pics... sorry.

This coming weekend I should be able to hang the big doors, as well as construct, paint, and hang the small door. That would be HUGE.... and I think it's doable.

Last edited by CEO; 03-06-08 at 06:13 PM.
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103