Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Building my garage / workshop (56K death)

Re: Building my garage / workshop (56K death)

Got a lot accomplished yesterday and today. Also, I'll be able to work on it tomorrow (monday), friday, and next weekend. Hell yeah.

I got all the materials necessary for the small door: solid wood slab exterior door, exterior door jambs, lock set, hinges, and a kit with jigs to help you cut all your doorknob holes. I painted the door and jambs and let them to sit:

I ripped out the old shitty door, and installed the new jambs.

Later sunday night I got the hinges on the small door, mounted it, and got the knob and lock all working great. It was dark so I didn't take more pics. The door still needs another coat of paint and I need to insulate around the frame with caulking and some other odds and ends. I'll get pics tomorrow.

Also, I found some hinges that would work for the large doors at a killer price. They are commercial grade 4.5" hinges with non-removable pins, ball bearing movement, nice thick metal for the plates, very beefy pin, and they were pre-primed for painting. Best of all, only 6 bucks a piece. It was a no-brainer. I got 6... maybe I only need four, but figured at that price I might as well overkill.

I attached the hinges via 5/16" lag screws for 6 of the 8 holes, and then 1 on each side is a through bolt to the other side. This was if someone wants to break it they can't just take out the bolts on the hinges. I mounted up the doors... shimmed them up into place and got two hinges attached with half the bolts on each... just to test the movement. Movement was smooth and felt great.

My plan tomorrow is to tidy up all my loose ends. Hopefully this can all be done in a day, but I'm not sure.

- Quick trip to the Depot for more paint and some bolts

- Finish all the small door odds and ends
    ---- Painting
    ---- Caulking/insulating
    ---- Weatherstrip on the bottom
    ---- Etc.

- Finish the big doors
    ---- Mount the other two hinges
    ---- Attach all lags/bolts
    ---- Attach the gate latch to connect the two doors
    ---- Rig up the cane bolt for the floor
    ---- Weatherstrip the entire opening
    ---- Attach weatherstrips/wipers for the bottom of the doors
    ---- Rubber strips over the gaps on the hinge sides
    ---- Paint hinges, frame, general trim around the doors

- Final drywall work
    ---- Small pieces by all the doors (big doors, small door, door to main basement)

- Clean the shit out of the place
    ---- Get rid of all random wood
    ---- Sweep floor
    ---- Organize all tools
    ---- Can now get rid of table, etc.

It's already starting to look less cluttered in there just from my moving the table out of the way:

At that point, I will be ready to tackle starting the mudding, sanding, and painting next friday, saturday, and sunday.

Oh yeah, and I'm going for a god damn ride. The bike needs it, and I need it. It's suppose to be around 38. Good enough.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Looking good.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

So envious. I wish I had a mini garage/project room...

Looks like a lot of work, but it will worth it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    Looking good.
    Quote Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
    So envious. I wish I had a mini garage/project room...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Looks like a lot of work, but it will worth it in the end.
    Thanks guys!

So I didn't get quite as much done today as I originally planned/wanted, but that's alright. I woke up late (needed the rest), had to ship some things, wanted to ride, and needed to organize the place quite a bit.

I finished drilling all the holes and installing all the bolts for the big doors. They open smoothly, and work great. They are all ready to be sealed up and all latches and such installed, all of which I have a plan for and have all the parts. I'll do that next time.

Also, I realized I never posted pics of the outside concrete work. To fix all of the potential drainage problems due to the asphalt sloping toward the building, everything was re-done with concrete. This is also the reason for the low ceiling height, the floor in the garage needed to be at the asphalt level plus a little bit. You can see here all of the concrete built up against the building to encourage runoff. So far from what I've seen it all works great.

Then, I decided no matter what, I needed to ride. Went out for about two hours, hit some twisties, got the feel back, etc. It felt fucking great. About to head out:

When I returned, instead of worrying about little trim work, painting and insulating the door frames, etc (all which would require a Depot trip), I decided to clean up and get organized. Also, this is due to the trash guy coming tomorrow... needed to get rid of some scrap. There was a TON of old and scrap wood. I cut it all into pieces to fit into barrels (the only way they'll take it). It filled up six trash barrels!

Also, cleaned up garage. Some of the clutter were the makeshift 'tables' I had been using for work, which ended up in the pics above. Also, organized all the tools and swept up. That's a shitload of sawdust!

Lots of space in there now that a lot of the shit is out. It's going to be so sweet when I'm done. Bike looks great in there, too

Basically, everything is ready to go. Next time I go out, I will finish all the door insulation, weatherstripping, caulking, and painting. Then, I'll hang the last few small bits of drywall by the doors, and pull the bike and everything except for drywall stuff out of the garage. That should all take one day. Then, the next day the mudding and sanding will start. After that, it will just be painting, building shelves, and building a workbench. I've also got a few little finishing touches/surprises up my sleeve

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

looks like you could fit 2 bikes in there

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Looking good, you're doing a great job there.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk.
    That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    - Ernest Hemingway
    ---------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Denno View Post
    looks like you could fit 2 bikes in there
    I certainly could

Too bad I can't afford another one
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsv View Post
    Looking good, you're doing a great job there.
    Thanks dude

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Wow!
    Nice work

I Dance With Will

hey throw party when you're done.

"fuckit!"

wow unbelieveable job, i'm wicked envious!!

I Dance With Will

and dont forget stripper post.

"fuckit!"

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Did you push wire mesh in the concrete? HOpe so if its going to break apart being as thin as it is.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Quote Originally Posted by KillBill View Post
    Wow!
    Nice work
    Thanks man
    Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    hey throw party when you're done.
    I was actually considering that
    Quote Originally Posted by wfd38383 View Post
    wow unbelieveable job, i'm wicked envious!!
    Thanks, no need for envy, you can do it too... just time and effort mostly
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    Did you push wire mesh in the concrete? HOpe so if its going to break apart being as thin as it is.
    The concrete is the one thing I had someone do. But how/where is the concrete thin? It ranges from 4 or 5 inches thick to a foot thick in a few places, IIRC.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Where it angles down to the concrete?? Unless you dug down into the pavement?

I know quite a bit about concrete (I went to school for it) and if they didnt use wire mesh I guarentee it will crack.

I know quite a bit about concrete (I went to school for it) and if they didnt use wire mesh I guarentee it will crack.
    Well they tought you wrong Wire mesh or even rebar does not prevent cracking..it prevents the concrete from lifting/separating when it does crack

Looking good Chris, and that R6 sure looks at home in there

ps: Where did you get those hinges for $5 each? Can you get more?

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Well they tought you wrong Wire mesh or even rebar does not prevent cracking..it prevents the concrete from lifting/separating when it does crack

Sorry you are right. I meant it will crack and fall apart when I said that. All concrete cracks just depends on where and when.

Where it angles down to the concrete?? Unless you dug down into the pavement?
    There is no concrete placed on top of pavement. The the whole apron of the building where the concrete was laid was ripped and dug up, the asphalt is gone. Like I said, minimum concrete thickness is 4-5 inches, up to a 1 foot max. In the garage itself, it's a consistent 7ish.

Thanks a lot, Mark

The hinges, surprisingly, I found at the Depot. There were sort of hidden down in a little box on a shelf, I shit you not. Ball-bearing, commercial grade, pre-primed, beefy and non-removable pin, thick plates, the works, for 5.99 each. I was very surpsrised... I had ben through there quite a few times and never noticed them. Try your local HD.... if you can't find them let me know and I'll pick some up for you and bring them up to the TTDs in April and give them to you if you're there, or someone who will see you.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

As usual, didn't make quite as much progress this weekend as I would have liked, but maybe I just set lofty goals. I got a decent amount done, though. The weather (rain and snow) prevented me from doing some of the things I intended.

My camera was acting up so these are all phone pics, sorry.

There was bits of drywall to finish around the small door, big doors, and the door into the main basement. The frames also needed to be stuffed with insulation beforehand. I did that. Also, needed to prep a lot of the corners for mudding with j-strips and metal corner beads. At this point I was piecing a lot of the parts together with leftover drywall bits. It will add some mudding time but I didn't feel like making a Depot trip just for a sheet of drywall.

Here is the part by the big doors:

Hung some corner beads:

From the main basement looking at the small door after I stuffed insulation in the frame:

I also ripped down the door into the main basement becasue it was in rough shape and needed new hinges. There was a big steel sheet bolted to the front of it (previous building owner kept ~$100k stock of high-end fishing supplies in here, used to be a flyfishing shop) that weighed probably 80 pounds, I took that off. That is why the hinges had gone to shit. I cleaned it off and puttied all of the holes in it:

Hung the drywall around the small door, j-stripped the edges:

Used some of the 1/4" luon that I used to face the inside of the big doors to clean up the threshold:

Then, I used thick weatherstripping to insulate the whole frame of the big doors. The last inch or so that the doors are closed compress this stuff and make a weathertight seal. I could already feel the place getting warmer:

Then, used a gate latch to click the doors together, a short barricade (will paint black and rubberize the ends so as not to scratch the doors next time) for strength, and a cane bolt down into the concrete to secure them shut:

Started the mudding, did most of the main room 1 coat:

And painted one side of the door going into the main basement:

Next time, need to finish up all the door issues... couldn't this time because of the weather. I have all the stuff already:
    - Door sweeps on the bottom of the small door and both big doors
    - Extra wide door sweep/flap between the big doors in the center
    - Rubber sheeting over the hinge-side gaps for redundancy
    - Small trim painting bits outside
    - Paint the other side of the door going into the main basement, rehang it on fresh hinges

There is one or two small trim things to neaten up in the garage as well, just little tit jobs though.

Then, it's all mudding... 3 coats, sanding in between. Yay fun. Not.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Quote Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
    Thanks a lot, Mark

The hinges, surprisingly, I found at the Depot. There were sort of hidden down in a little box on a shelf, I shit you not. Ball-bearing, commercial grade, pre-primed, beefy and non-removable pin, thick plates, the works, for 5.99 each. I was very surpsrised... I had ben through there quite a few times and never noticed them. Try your local HD.... if you can't find them let me know and I'll pick some up for you and bring them up to the TTDs in April and give them to you if you're there, or someone who will see you.
    I guess I got the shaft then when I purchased my basement doors + hardware I just looked at my slip and I paid $62 per box for the exact same hinge, 3 hinges come in a box. I'm going with the same type of doors for my storage shed as I used for my basement entry, all commercial steel doors and steel door frames for security. I'll have to check depot next time I'm there.
    Thanks for the offer on picking them up, I'd have to catch up with you on a ride or something though, trackdays are not in my budget for at least a year or 2

Yamaha

I guess I got the shaft then when I purchased my basement doors + hardware I just looked at my slip and I paid $62 per box for the exact same hinge, 3 hinges come in a box. I'm going with the same type of doors for my storage shed as I used for my basement entry, all commercial steel doors and steel door frames for security. I'll have to check depot next time I'm there.
    Thanks for the offer on picking them up, I'd have to catch up with you on a ride or something though, trackdays are not in my budget for at least a year or 2
    Damn that is steep. Did they at least use lube?

Really though it's not that steep, I just think these were an exceptionally good deal.

I would try to find these for your next door, it sounds like a good move if you're going to keep pricey toys in there. These came with screws both for attaching to wood and screws with machine thread for attaching to metal. I just used my own bolts due to the weight of the doors I built. Anyways, If you can't get them locally at your HD, let me know. We can figure something out and I'll help you.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

I am not trying to be an asshole but I do have a question. The unremovale pins in the hinges is a great idea but what is to stop someone walking up, unscrewing the hinges from wall and boom they have a nice R6.

Personally I would have concealed the hinges so that only the pins are showing outside. I know I know any system is built for the honest guy and will not prevent a real criminal from getting in.

I am just putting it out there. By the way I am VERY jealous that you have a nice place like taht to store your bike!

Quote Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
    Damn that is steep. Did they at least use lube?

Really though it's not that steep, I just think these were an exceptionally good deal.

I would try to find these for your next door, it sounds like a good move if you're going to keep pricey toys in there. These came with screws both for attaching to wood and screws with machine thread for attaching to metal. I just used my own bolts due to the weight of the doors I built. Anyways, If you can't get them locally at your HD, let me know. We can figure something out and I'll help you.
    Thanks for the offer again. I did order my door today and those are the hinges that come with it. I bitched a little about the price and the sales guy dropped a hundred bux off the price so i was happy.

Yamaha

I am not trying to be an asshole but I do have a question. The unremovale pins in the hinges is a great idea but what is to stop someone walking up, unscrewing the hinges from wall and boom they have a nice R6.

Personally I would have concealed the hinges so that only the pins are showing outside. I know I know any system is built for the honest guy and will not prevent a real criminal from getting in.
    Have to agree that is kind of an unconventional way to install hinges. You might want to get some tamper-proof screws or something, or cover the outside of the hinges somehow so it's not obvious that the heads are accessible.

I am just putting it out there. By the way I am VERY jealous that you have a nice place like taht to store your bike!
    +1000. You've really got a great space there.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Thanks for the offer again. I did order my door today and those are the hinges that come with it. I bitched a little about the price and the sales guy dropped a hundred bux off the price so i was happy.
    Nice, dude. 100 bucks off is nothing to snub your nose at. I love how far a little bitching and whining can get you with people

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    Have to agree that is kind of an unconventional way to install hinges. You might want to get some tamper-proof screws or something, or cover the outside of the hinges somehow so it's not obvious that the heads are accessible.

+1000. You've really got a great space there.
    Thanks for the compliments, both of you.

SV, no worries about me thinking you're an asshole. Having many sets of eyes look over something with ideas and critique is EXACTLY why I have been posting all of this stuff up. That and to hopefully get a couple compliments at the end for my ego and a warm fuzzy feeling inside lol.

Anyways, in this neighborhood, it won't be an issue, but I am pretty OCD/paranoid, so I have thought about all of that.

If you read earlier, 2 out of the 8 bolts on each hinge (one on each side) go all the way through to lock washers and double nuts. That was my fix for preventing hinge removal from just backing out the bolts. Just in case, I was thinking about finding a friend who had a welder to just tack the head of said thru-bolts to the hinge plates... this might be unnecessary and I don't know any friends with a welder. It was a thought, though. But basically, 12 of the 48 bolts are not removable just by backing them out. Lastly, I am going to be running a strip of rubber sheeting over the gap between the door and the frame on the hinge sides for insulation redundancy, which will mostly hide the hinges.

I can't put the hinges the way you were both saying, though... I wanted to use decent size bolts to add strength (instead of the shitty little screws that come with hinges), and because of that the bolt heads stick out from the plates (and countersinking isn't an option here obviously). The thickness of two bolt heads in between the two plates would mean that the doors wouldn't close if the hinges were in the doorjambs with only the pins exposed.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103